“Charm and Warmth at a Modest Price in Washington”
Review of The Embassy Inn

The Embassy Inn
Ranked #133 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 28, 2011

A recent business trip to Washington provided me the opportunity to discover a new neighborhood and a hotel that was a wonderful alternative to big name and big price hotels.
The Embassy Inn, on 16th Street in Washington, DC is a place that provided hospitality and charm...at a very reasonable price. Located in a mixed residential/commercial area, within moments of entering the Embassy Inn, seeing the interiors and the welcome of the front desk receptionist, I knew this was a hotel with character and individuality. Hot water and tea materials available, classical music from NPR in the background, complementary Washington Post newspapers...and this was only the front entrance. The ambiance continued... The rooms were comfortable, nicely decorated and a continental breakfast was included. The hotel staff were all friendly and happy to help with any requests. I would highly recommend the Embassy Inn not only for price reasons, but you can feel you are having a non-commerical experience. Kudos to the Embassy Inn.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank JerryTheRugGuy

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel is not glamorous but neither is it dingy. The rooms are pretty small but they're clean and comfortable. The rooms are equipped with 27" LCD TVs. The staff is friendly and it's a good value for the area. The breakfast was pretty weak (think a platter of donuts and pastries, plus coffee and some cheerios and it runs out quickly). The hotel is about equidistant from the U Street Metro station (yellow/green line) and the Dupont Circle metro (red line) and is a bit of a walk from either one, maybe 8-9 blocks or so.

Bonus: I left a fairly expensive set of headphones in the room and called the next day to inquire as to whether they had been found. I received a prompt call back and was told that they were waiting for me to pick up.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Greg M
Reviewed November 20, 2011

A wonderful value in Washington DC. I stayed here while attending a conference at the Washington Hilton. This place was 1/2 the price. The hotel is in a very nice residential area in a brownstone like building. 10 minute walk to Metro and a nice selection of restaurants one street over. The quaint little lobby has a computer, books and games, nice touch. Overall the public areas are nice, clean and welcoming. Of course, the rooms are on the small side but not claustrophobic. Ours was a clean, comfortable, in good shape and had all of the basic amenities (small TV, alarm clock, iron, hair dryer). The bathroom looked newly remodeled and hate nice towels. Overall, the place had charm and character. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast, is indeed, Continental; bread, bad bagels, pastry and cereal but the coffee was good. No sherry and snacks as advertised. I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: the front is noisy because of street noise; early plugs took care of that
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kibbabibba
Reviewed November 3, 2011

As we were on a five week holiday,finding reasonably priced accomodation was a challenge! After much research I decided the Dupont Circle area was the best area to stay in but it was looking unlikely that we could find a reasonably priced place there. I came across the Inn on a b&b site for an amzing $100 a night so wasn't expecting anything special. Much to our delight it turned out to be a wonderful stay.The room was newly refurbished, big enough, especially after New York, and the bathroom was new. It was very clean and the bed was comfy. No view but we were only there to sleep. Continental breakfast was included with the usual foods and yummy pastries. Staff were very friendly and efficient. It was a small hotel, in a beautiful old building in a tree lined, picturesque street. It was a short, very enjoyable walk to Dupont Circle where there are many great places to eat and the subway. We walked most everywhere though. The White House is about a kilometre straight down the street the hotel is in. The Inn recommended a sister establishment, a pub,Bier Baron, that served hundreds of different types of beer, which pleased my husband but I was more impressed by the amazing food. We had the best steak and veges for $20, they give a discount to customers of the Inn. There is a great burger place in Dupont Circle, BGR, biggest onion rings, good atmosphere. On our last night we had a splurge and had an amazing meal at a little Turkish restaurant at the Circle, Agora. There are many restaurants to choose from, all close to the Inn.When it came time to leave, taxi was easy to hail right outside. Would happily return again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hols2go55
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Very frustrating to get into town and not have a room. They did at least pay for a taxi to another of their affiliated hotels. But when you have a room confirmation, you expect a room.

I can't speak for the rooms here, as they didn't have one for me, but my room at the Baron Hotel, where they sent me, was tiny. It was maybe 8' by 10', with a double bed taking up almost the entire room.

Room Tip: Don't expect to have room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Phillip R
Reviewed August 8, 2011

When I arrived, they did not find my reservation. After 30 min of investigation, they figure out that the arrival date on my reservation was wrong and I showed up one day earlier. They gave me a room for my arrival night, but at a higher price. Since this was a mistake of the person who did the reservation for me, I was in their hands. After one hour at the front desk, I could finally arrived to a very small, dark and overpriced room.
The big problem happened the following day. I went to DC just to watch an event. And just when I was going out of the Hotel to my event, the person in the front desk (a different one), stopped me and tried to make me sign new credit card receipts to fix some mess they made in their paperwork. I explained him that I already signed 240$ for my 2 nights and I was not going to sign any more credit card receipts. I was concerned about how they handled my arrival and the risk of being charged 2 times for the same thing. This discussion took me about 45 min, so I arrived late to my event. Who is going to pay for this? Furthermore, the day I was leaving, they remade the receipts again and I had to sign a different set of credit card receipts. In summary, about 2 hours wasted at the front desk of this Hotel for just 2 nights I stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank favel1234
Reviewed August 4, 2011

It's a very simple, yet cosy and clean. The building is old, but the room is quiet, has some antiques and plasma TV with plenty of Cable TV channels. It has a market a block away and plenty of churchs around and places to eat. White House back is at the ending of the Street.

Room Tip: Rent thru site. Best deals.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo