“Clean but SMALL room”
Review of The Embassy Inn

The Embassy Inn
Ranked #133 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 13, 2011

The hotel was in a good location but the room was the smallest room that I have ever stayed in. Ever. There was not even a closet - just a hat tree. Clothes were ironed on the bed as the iron was plugged into the bathroom outlet....

Linens were nice and clean but the bed was small. They said it was a queen but it wasn't. We were close to the front desk and could hear everything that was going on.

There was not available parking out front and had to park at the garage close to three blocks away. This was difficult when trying to unload and load the luggage.

No internet access in the rooms - in the lobby only. But even if there would have been access in the room, there was no room in the room to work.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank EllenKureBeach_NC

Reviewed October 7, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at the Embassy Inn in Washington, D.C. I loved the beautiful building, with interesting historical paintings inside and classical music being played inside daily. I took many photos of the garden outside, with many roses. The morning free continental breakfast was just great, with delicious buns, croissants, coffee, and tea, and the sodas for sale and free afternoon tea were also good. The staff were friendly and helpful. The main problem was that the room I was staying in, in the bottom floor, did not have sufficient ventilation. It was extremely hot, one hundred degree weather, but the window could not be opened even after requests for help from staff several times. True, the a.c. was very cool, but after having stayed in a tropical country for many years, I prefer open windows and fresh air to a.c. , which makes my mind sleepy. I also had some problem with my booking - I had booked the inn through an agency, hostels.com, but when I arrived there, tired after my overnight train ride and wanting to rest before the Independence Day fireworks, my booking was not in their records! I had to go on the laptop computer and check my email for the booking. This took a long time, because the Parental Control on the computer tried to block my access to my email account! It ended up that I couldn't get the booking on that computer, but had to use the desk computer, which the staff member offered, and in the end I did get the booking, but it was a very stressful experience. The staff were patient when I extended my stay two times. The shower and bathroom were good, although small. The location was very good, with many lovely buildings nearby, and many good restaurants on 17th St. The other guests there were friendly, mostly from other countries, such as India, Europe, etc., and we had a nice social gathering during continental breakfast, though it was crowded. There was useful information in the binder, but the binder was hidden in one of the drawers, and I didn't discover it for four days! There was also useful tourist information in the lounge area. The lobby computer absolutely did not work for me and was useless - the mouse hardly worked at all, to begin with. So I had to go to an expensive cybercafe to do email and was a long time searching for this. The price seemed high to me, considering the small size of the room, but then I've mostly stayed in youth hostels and have been out of the country for ten years, so it may not be that high in terms of high Washington, D.C. hotels. The room phone worked well, and so did the clock radio and the TV, although there was not a huge range of channels on the TV. Overall, I would recommend this place, but I would tell guests to make other arrangements for computer and to try to avoid coming at the very hottest time of the year and to get an upstairs room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank parrot45
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The hotel is in a good location, everything else is bad. Very small rooms without closet. Very small bathroom where you can hardy move around. No internet connection in the rooms upstairs. The breakfast is minimal. I felt twice something crawling on me while in the dining room, and my daughter said that she saw a cockroach. We stayed for 2 nights and between the 1st and the 2nd night we were kicked out from our room, our belongings were packed in disrespectful way (toothbrushes with dirty clothes in the same bag), and no one gave us a call to inform us. The clerks couldn't give a satisfying explanation,
I would rather pay a little more and not stay in this place again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank icecream79
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The Embassy Inn surpassed our expectations. We knew the location was wonderful for access to our business locations, restaurants and touring purposes; but the ambiance and rooms exceeded our expectations. The hotel is a recently updated facility with a distinctly European personality. A flat screen television, a choice of 3 different wireless access points and newly refurbished bathroom covered everything we needed. The rooms are an efficient size equipped with the necessities. There was access to an iron and forgotten toothbrush. The staff was very accommodating when approached. We had a car and when asked, they gave us a list of convenient parking garages. We definitely recommend the Embassy Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rarelyseen
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We had originally planned to stay at the District Hotel, but (due to a water leak), we were moved to The Embassy Inn. The exterior of the hotel was beautiful, but the room (including amenities) left much to be desired. The room was small. There was a moldy smell in the hall outside. There was a very small (personal size) ice machine for the whole hotel. We were told to go down the street to get ice. The big negative was not being able to access CNN or FOX news. The hotel does not carry these stations! The air conditioner was not working right. At times, it would blast us with cold air then stay off for a while. The continental breakfast was average. A peephole on the door would have been nice! Now for a big positive...the bed was very comfortable! Also, we were grateful for fresh linens and nice fluffy towels every day! The location was relatively close to the metro and certain restaurants.
Overall, we feel that we should have gotten a better room for our money. I am stopping short of not recommending this hotel to others. (It was an OK room if you only need a place to sleep). Management does need to improve in the areas mentioned.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Teacher777
Reviewed June 11, 2010

If you are desperate for a moderately priced hotel in the DuPont Circle area, this one might do. But if you have any choice, go somewhere else. The rooms are so small, there is literally no space to open your suitcase except on your bed and no place to store it except for under the desk. None of the rooms that members of our group stayed in had closets (apparently some do), only a standing coat-rack and no hangars. If you have a suit, you'll have to hang the pants over the back of the chair and put your jacket on the towel rack! The furniture in the rooms is extremely banged up and shabby. The staff is surly. At night, bright lights from an airshaft (?) shine into the windows and the blinds aren't able to block out the light. Coffee is not available before 7 a.m. On the positive side, the place is freshly painted and clean; the bed linens and bathrooms are fine. In other words, this hotel is not disgusting or dangerous or sleazy, but it's far short of even being pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank susangz
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I booked on their website online for a Deluxe Double, but was given a Single Double. The attendant at the front desk had no particular explanation for why this was done, and I was exhausted enough that I didn't want to spend half an hour arguing. The room was a no-frills, but clean, room. The sheets and towels were clean but there was no bread spread, and the shampoo bottles looked used, as though they had been refilled at the end of each stay. The corridors were clean and did not smell funny (lots of hotels seem to have that problem), but I saw cleaning supplies left around. A vacuum cleaner here, some random cleaning supplies elsewhere.

I was particularly peeved that the wifi connection did not work in my room. It worked in the lounge, but nowhere else. The front desk attendant had a very nonchalant attitude towards this, and said I was welcome to sit in the lounge and use their one communal computer.

The breakfast was an all-carbs affair: bagels, bread, donuts, cereal; along with coffee-tea, and yogurt. There were no fruits or anything.

Overall, for $86, including tax, however, I'm not sure I could find a better bargain, so I'll give it a thumbs-up, but very skeptically.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business