“Quirky and fun with a great restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of One Washington Circle Hotel

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #24 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
life
“Quirky and fun with a great restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

A fascinating and strange place, if located in a very busy location. THe Art Deco lobby gives way to ordinary looking hallways but huge rooms. It's all very comfy with Aveda products in the bath and robes and a separate sitting room for working. The restaurant is one of DC's more interesting places to eat or have cocktails and as ever in this town, aspiring types from The West Wing are everywhere. Good value too at less than $200 a night including breakfast.

Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
GMOWCH, general manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
life: Thank you for your visit and comment. We do have a great location and we are proud of our Circle Bistro which is one of the top 100 restaurants in DC. Please come and visit again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

i stayed here 2 nights for work. I was given a room on the first floor, spacious, but didn't seem incredibly clean and smelled faintly of stale cigarette smoke. I called to ask if it was a nonsmoking floor and they assured me yes. I didn't believe them but didn't have the energy to change rooms at that point. The next night, after a ten hour day, I returned to the hotel and came into the bathroom to find a large cockroach.I shut the door and called the front desk, he didn't apologize, but said that he'd send the a janitor. The janitor, showing more hospitality training than the front desk clerk, apologized. i went to the desk and said that they needed to move me, and the clerk (again, no apology), rudely said fine, go pack. They relocated me to the 7th floor, which seemed marginally cleaner and at least had no bugs. The noise from the ambulances for the hospital across the way was slightly muted at this level too. I was very unimpressed, first that there were roaches in a $200+ room and second that the clerk acted like it was me who had a problem. The next day when I checked out he had the nerve to ask how I was doing. What an idiot. When I asked for a cab to the airport, they called one of their buddies who "provided transport" at "metered rates" . There was no way I was going to put any more money into their pockets - they always get a kickback when you take one of their "hotel cars" - so I made them get me a metered cab. I will be traveling to DC at least 3 times a year for the next 2 years, and moreover, there's generally someone from my office heading to DC every week or two. I'll be telling everyone about my experience at this hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FOMattheCircleHotel, Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We are very sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience at One Washington Circle Hotel. It is certainly not an example of the level of service we typically provide. It is true that our staff does use preferred taxi and limo services but it is simply meant to protect our customers from providers who overcharge visitors. Please be assured that our bell staff simply wanted to make sure you were with a driver we knew would provide good service at a fair rate.
Moo913
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2009

I was shlepped over to this hotel after their sister hotel, the George Washington University Inn, decided to not honor my reservation because they overbooked their hotel. The One Washington Circle was also sold out for the evening, but they opened up their boardroom for me, which had a pull out bed stowed away and a full bathroom - not the most delightful surprise to have the night before an interview, but at least they tried to figure out a place for me to sleep, unlike their sister hotel GWU Inn. The front desk staff was extremely nice and accommodating, very understanding of the inconvenience I was being put through. They adjusted my rate and tried to make my stay as comfortable as possible considering the circumstances. I also ordered room service in the morning to avoid a hurried starbucks breakfast and it was very reasonably priced ($7 for pancakes plus breakfast meats), tasty, and delivered on time. The hotel itself was very nice, clean, and well appointed. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it above the sister hotel George Washington Inn, which has some serious hotel administration lessons to learn from the One Washington Circle.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMOWCH, general manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
Moo913 Thank you for your feedback which we will share with our sister property. We hope your interview went well and the entire team hopes to welcome you back to One Washington Circle Hotel in one of our suites.
salem, oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

One Washington Cirlce is in a great location. Two blocks from metro and walking distance to most anything else. There's a Trader Joes close by to stock up on snacks, water, etc. Room was very spacious, though toilet/tub area felt a bit cramped. Staff were friendly and restaurant below wasn't too bad either--though there are better places within walking distance. Only hiccup was getting 2 hair conditioners and no shampoo but that was remedied.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
salem oregon we thank you for your feedback and you are always welcome at One Washington Circle Hotel
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

We checked in today (they did allow early check in) and will be staying for 2 nights. Got the 99$ a night rate that includes parking from TravelZoo.
I've been to DC about a doz times and so far it's the best placefor the money that you can get. We did get room #202 and it apeared to be a corner room. Heard a couple of sirens outside, but not too loud. It's 5 of us and we're loving it so far.
Very roomy, large bathroom, small kitchennette - full size refrigerator, full size stove, coffee maker with fresk coffee beans and the grinder... What else you might need in DC!!!
Hopefully our couple of next days will be as nice as the first one.
Highly recommended so far!!! Great service so far also.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Delaware we hoped that your entire stay was as nice as our first impression. Thank you for your recommendation and please bring the family back to DC. Cherry blossoms are right around the corner.
West Lafayette IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I have stayed in several hotels in Foggy Bottom and this is one of the nicest, but also the loudest by far.

Positives: Large, clean room with full kitchen and separate bedroom. Convenient to Foggy Bottom Metro and Georgetown and Bus Stop. Very close to Starbucks, Bruegger's Bagels, Trader Joe's and other small take-out places. All of the staff that we dealt were friendly and helpful. The internet was free and worked fairly well except the morning it didn't work at all.

Negatives: Sirens were very loud and frequent. Both L St and Washington Circle have a lot of traffic. The bed wasn't very firm. The stocking of bathroom was a bit odd. We had 2 or 3 bottles of conditioner and never got a bottle of shampoo. The kitchen was stocked with coffee beans and a coffee grinder, but I don't like the hassle of grinding the beans and I often drink decaf and the only decaf was instant. I would have preferred packets of both regular and decaf.

I would recommend this hotel, but would warn them about the noise.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
West Lafayette IN Thank you very much for the positives. Our apologies for the activities of the city. We are looking at a new presentation of our amenities to ensure complete stockings. Thank you again and we are looking forward to your return.
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

I stayed here Oct 23-25 and found the hotel to be very nice. I found a deal throught Travelzoo, which included parking in the price (a plus). I arrived prior to check in time, but was allowed to check in and place my luggage in my room. I had reserved 2 beds in my room, and was surprised when there was on queen bed and a pull out sofa. After speaking to 2 staff members, I found out that although I requested 2 full beds, they can only guarantee 2 beds will be in the room in the form of 2 full beds or a queen bed and sofa bed. There are only about 8 rooms with 2 full beds in the entire hotel, the rest are in the queen/sofabed layout. I do wish they had relayed that information when I booked...

The rooms were large, this room style has a mini-fridge and microwave (not the full kitchen like I thought I was getting). Large closet, decent size bathroom. 2 balconies.

Noise was not an issue at all, and the decor in the hotel was very nice. I chose to not use the included parking (it was valet) because I was told it can take up to 30 min to get your car...and I'm the type that when I'm ready to go...I'm ready to go! Street parking was never an issue, so that is the path I took.

Overall, a very nice stay and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends