“Combined business and leisure trip--Perfect for both!”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
lizardlips48
“Combined business and leisure trip--Perfect for both!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

I was in D.C. for a 2-day meeting, and brought my family along for a spring break vacation, for a total 4-night stay. My children (10 and 5) were delighted by our spacious suite, and it was convenient to have the second bathroom. We had expected a kitchen and brought along breakfast and snack foods.

Shortly after we arrived (but before we found the second bathroom with a stock of towels), we called that we needed more towels. I don't know how he did it, but towels were delivered to our door two minutes later with a smile. When we went to bed, we realized we needed more pillows (we're pillow stackers : )), called again, and received them almost as quickly. I was so impressed, and that degree of customer service set the tone for the whole stay. We made no request that wasn't satisfied, and the front desk staff were very helpful with suggestions for restaurants, etc. We also ordered delivery Thai one night; the fully-stocked kitchens made ordering in a nice option for a late dinner with the kids, without a big price tag.

The only complaint we had about the stay was that the fold-out sofa needed a new mattress. It was the old-style with just a thin foam mattress, and not very comfortable for anyone. But I'll take great service and all the other amenities (and one very comfortable king bed).

We look forward to staying there again soon, and I've already recommended the hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Greek first
phila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

Location is pettry good- close to M Street- Staff nice enough. Room overall was a bit worn (but clean) and there was a strange sound that we heard thoughout the night. You can hear your neighbors in adjoining rooms and the hall traffic. Aveda products were a nice touch. For the price, there are many other hotels that I would rate over One Washington Circle. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

When we arrived to the hotel, I was surpised to hear they hold $50 per person in the room...Which was surprising to me, I had always just had a $50 hold for incidentals, and they immediately held the room charge and the $150 for incidentals. I had never had a hotel do that before and was quite surprised, luckily we had enough money after they held $650 for the weekend that we were Ok. Room itself was nice, clean, a bit bigger than expected. Nice to find we had a balcony!! In terms of noise...I was pretty quiet our stay- I did request to stay on the 'L' side of the street though as it had been suggested. So great to have a nice, clean kitchen to work with...We made coffee every morning and made dinner our last night. There is a Trader Joes down the street about 6 or 7 blocks to pick up food.

The staff...A mixed bag. If Malika is still there when you go, try to deal w. her as much as possible. She was sweet, helpful, knowledgeable, and just great all around. I found the rest of the staff to be abbrasive at times, and communication on both ends was an issue...Once I called down for more toiletries, and they arrived 20 mins. later w/ toilet paper. Also, we asked the first night for a 'quiet place to eat and grab a drink' and were sent to McFaddens- A frat bar for GWU across the street w/ scantily clad girls, loud music, and bad food...All along w/ a cover charge. At that point we were too tired to try to find something else, so we stayed...At least the beer was cheap! But NOT what we asked for.

As for the location...Right around the block from Foggy Bottom Metro, and there's an ATM and Starbucks in the GW Hospital right next to the entrance...But if you're not looking for these things, you won't know they're there (w/ the exception of the FB Metro, which was easy to find). I found it odd that w/ a hotel, hospital, and university all in a circle, there would be drug stores and bodegas and coffee shops galore...That is NOT the case here, so if you are looking to walk right out the door to run to the shop, you will not find that atomosphere in this area. You must ask or seek out these things, as they don't jump out at you like in NYC for instance...At least in that part of town. But a nice walk will get you to Georgetown, which was a pleasant surprise.

As for service....I was perturbed that everything in our 4 person room was set up for 2 people. I feel like if you are reserving a room for 4 people, your ameneties should follow suit. Our room had only enough toiletries, plates, glasses, and towels, for 2 people...And I found it irritating to have to constantly call down for more towels, plates, cups, etc. Most of the time they came right away w. them, but twice we had to call down again after waiting a 1/2 hr. to receive things, and once when I asked for toiletries, they brought up toilet paper.

Also- They advertise a pool...But just a heads up that it's outdoor and only open certain times of the year...If I had children w/ me, and was expecting a pool I think I would have been upset.

If you are looking for a nice, clean, no frills experience- Then this is the place for you. I would go back for the price, but I think you could pay a but more, be a little closer to things, and have restaurants and shops closer to your fingertips.

• Stayed March 2009
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

I'm eternally grateful to this staff. I stayed at the hotel during the Inauguration. Many of them stayed in the hotel, sleeping on cots for four nights so that they could provide the best customer serivice possible. And they came through with flying colors.

Every question we had they were able to answer quickly and with a smile (even when I'm sure they would have been so exhausted.)

The room we had itself was spacious, clean and had all the amentities I needed. Room service was prompt and the meals themselves were delicious. The hotel itself is only a block or so from the Foggy Bottom metro station.

Highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The staff!
  • Disliked — None that I can think of
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank COGal
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

My partner and I stayed at One Washington Circle for five nights in January and would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to be central for just about everything that Washington DC has to offer.
We (or rather my travel expert better half) booked the hotel online and got a great rate for Washington DC; something around $90 a night excluding a small amount of tax. For this sort of money we were prepared to compromise a little on the quality of the accommodation as the hotel is so well sited for everything we wanted to see. Well, we were very happy with what the hotel had to offer; the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, as was the doorman. The rooms, or I should say apartments as I have read that this place was once an apartment block, are very well equipped - we had a separate bathroom with every extra you could want in terms of toiletries, hairdryer etc. A large bedroom/lounge with two double beds, television, safe (which for a pleasant change from Europe wasn't charged for), telephone, free internet access via ethernet cable, and finally a large balcony. We also had a great kitchen which had a cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, and all the cooking implements you could use including most amazingly a coffee grinder, coffee machine and free coffee beans and condiments! I made fresh coffee every morning which was really lovely and nice to drink whilst looking over the free Washington Post which is also left outside the room every morning.
The room is cleaned very well every day and everything used is replaced or cleaned; the coffee machine I mentioned was completely dismantled and washed every day and the cleaner even left more of the sugar etc that I was getting through a lot of - very thoughtful. As was the mints they left at night - although they forgot us on a couple of occasions. One other small point; they leave you a dressing gown/bathrobe, but only one which doesn't make much sense in a room with two double beds.
I ought to mention noise here; some reports talk about noise from the hospital located on the opposite side of the roundabout which is outside the front of the hotel (and located next to the Foggy Bottom metro station). Our room was down a side street and a few feet from the hotel front, and we didn't notice any noise at all really. We have stayed in many hotels in European cities where the noise is pretty bad nearly all night long - not here though, and the ear plugs that I'd packed as a precaution stayed in my bag.
One small point; we didn't try the restaurant or bar but apparently they are good - certainly the chef has a good CV if you look at their website..
As for the position of the hotel - it is pretty much perfect for all of Washington DC. Basically you are at the upper NW end of Pennsylvania Avenue and about three quarters of a mile from the Whitehouse and most of the middle of Washington. If you don't want to walk (and we did quite happily a couple of nights), then you can stroll across the roundabout at the front of the hotel and get the tube (Foggy Bottom metro station). This station has access to lines that will take you into most of the downtown stops which is good for shops/museums etc including the famous Mall where you can see the Washington monument, the Lincoln memorial, Capitol hill, and all of the big museums. These are all a few minutes away on the metro.
The metro network also takes you further afield, and with a metro train and bus we went to the Potomac Mills shopping mall; this is really huge and great for bargains.
If you walk out of the hotel and head the other way up Pennsylvania ave (in a roughly NW direction) then you end up in Georgetown within a few minutes - you really do have to walk this as there is no metro station there. We didn't know much about Georgetown before we visited Washington, but it turned into one of our favourite places for shopping and food - it has some lovely old buildings and really good restaurants (including a great pizza place). There is a small but really lovely shopping centre on the south side of the main street that we didn't notice until the last day.
To conclude then; One Washington Circle has very good rooms and service, and is a great location for all that Washington DC has to offer.

• Liked — Great location, value and friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — They forgot my bedtime mints...
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lewisje
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

We had a great stay. Our room was spacious and clean. Found out that the building was an apartment building which was converted to a hotel. It is my understanding that George Washington University owns the hotel. Nice kitchen area with a regular refrigerator, stove and microwave. Staff was excellent and very helpful. Others have commented about the close proximity to George Washington University's hospital, emergency room and ambulance sirens. Yes, from our room we did hear the sirens, but for us, the noise did not bother us. Close to the Metro and the hotel is located in a nice area. We were able to book a room with a special $99 per night.

• Liked — Lots of room
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank ahs76
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

The hotel is in a quiet area, near a subway station and not too far from city-center. Rooms are big and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful, with good language skills (french and italian), very unusual for USA.
Only problem: the day before departure i asked for a taxi to dulles airport, but they booked a limousine.

• Liked — good staff
  • Disliked — if i ask a taxi, i don't want a limousine!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family