“Right in the center of it all...and with great customer service!!”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #30 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Where do we start?? Great TRIP!!! and GREAT STAFF!!!
We are a family of four that likes to be good stewards of money and time.
Our kids are 12 & 14.
Our 14 yr. old daughter had crutches from Runners knee and we almost had to cancel. We had planned our trip back in April and it was now August and all of us were looking so forward to vacation. (we haven't been on a week vacation for 5 years so Im sure you could understand all the emotion of potentionally having to even consider cancelling.)
I was on the verge of crying and then talked to Kirsten Richardson (Area Reservations Manager) who made me feel comfortable and at ease with our situation. She went above and beyond and gave me her personal number in case I had to make a last minute decision due to our daughters physical therapy appointments.

Because there were so many questions I was looking answers for, I seemed to always end up talking to a woman named Jacqueline Ky. I finally got to meet her and her smile just melted all the stressful driving right away :) Anytime I called with a question, she could answer and would go above and beyond to make sure if they didnt have something they would get what we needed. (you know kids and their i-pods, charging stations, PS3 and Wi-fi!) Gotta have the Wi-fi!) The Wi-fi would boot you off but once you saved it to your phone on a notepad you could just copy and paste it in when you needed it so that was never a problem. When I was researching this place, people were complaining about the Wi-Fi, but I can tell you first hand....it was no big deal.
There was also a young man by the name of Elliot who was helpful with maps and suggestions of shopping. He pointed us to Eastern Market where you could find local arts and crafts from jewelry and gemstones, to canvas painting, a fresh farmers market (produce,seafood, meats and flowers!) and a little flea market style area as well. (Wish we had one of these in Groton, CT.!!)
From the moment we pulled our car up it was so peaceful and inviting!!
A man named Emmanuel helped us get situated. It was as if he could feel the tenseness of us getting lost in the rotary circles we encountered. We were offered a super cold bottle of water that was on ice, a glass of Sangria or take your pick from three different water pitchers that were filled with water and FRESH cut strawberries in one, peaches in another and cucumbers in the last one. Natural flavored water with presentation...A PLUS!! (Im from the restaurant industry myself and to me, customer service and presentation are EVERYTHING!)
Emmanuel seemed to be the man to go to for great suggestions for food and also the man to ask you, "How are you doing? Can I help you with anything? Are you enjoying your stay? To me....his spirit just ooozed peace.
There was also another man by the name of Amanuel. He was so helpful as we tried to print off the Big Bus tour tickets. We wanted to make sure that nobody could access our credit card info or personal info. from the hotel computer. He assured us and explained how the way they have it set up is totally secure. (I checked to see if you could go back into the history and you could not access that....Im saying that for the ones who are thinking that as your reading this.)
The location was about a 5 minute walk to the metro. Georgetown was a 15 minute walk uptown and the Lincoln Monument is about a 15-20 minute walk as well. (Taxi cabs start out at $3. as you get in the car and we found we could go to any of these places if our daughter was tired from walking and pay about 7-10 bucks and it was well worth it!!

(I want to recommend a place to eat before I forget...Its called Farmers Fresh and Bakery. Its the same owners of Founding Farmers but the scenery up there is FAR better than where the Founding Farmers is located. Its a little pricey but for good, fresh, and organic food, you should be willing to pay for it and your supporting the locals to boot. Im all about supporting the little guys!) ....As you notice we didnt stay at a chain hotel and it was BETTER than one of the Marriots or Hiltons in our eyes.!!

We packed a cooler for the refrigerator in our room but if you felt like something special you could go to Whole Foods (5-10 minute walk) or Trader Joes (5 minute walk) right near the hotel. We also found a Walgreens that took me and our 12 yr old son 4 minutes to walk right out the door! (T-shirts for $7., and sweatshirts for $15!) use your Walgreen card and save even more!
Peddlers on the street are not much of a bargain but you can go to the Old Post Office and in the basement (has food venders...I do not recomment eating there) there are a few cool knick knack stores and they have all kinds of tokens to bring home to loved ones or just a little something for yourself. (I bought a sweatshirt for 15 bucks that I saw up in Georgetown for 30!)

The Smithsonian Museums were also about 15-20 walk as well as the White House)

I will tell you what....I would stay here again in a HEARTBEAT! Im a fussy person who considers herself a bleach freak and I did not feel anything other than good during our entire stay here.
My only suggestion would be to have the Maid service Lysol instead of Febreeze. Lysol kills the germs but Febreeze only masks the smells. (I brought my own Lysol anyways!) They make a nice smelling Spring breeze.

One more legend I will dismiss on this review is someone wrote the sirens are horrific and that wouldnt stay there ever again. My comment...That was not always the case... sometimes you would wake up from a siren and then other nights you wouldnt. If your across the street from a hospital, chances are your going to hear something. If you go sight seeing as much as we did you will sleep through ANYTHING!!

Staff, if your reading this, we just want to say, "We love and appreciate you and thank you for all your hardwork and effort at making our family vacation one to truly remember."
Love,
The Beaupre Family

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the hospital side and not near the pool. There were alot of little kids dow...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robin B
GWUInnGM, Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Beaupre family!
It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us....as much as you enjoyed your stay we enjoyed having you here. We're so glad that despite crutches you were able to truly explore and enjoy DC.
Thank you for posting such a wonderful and heartfelt review....it means the world the to team here.
We certainly hope that you will visit us (and DC) again very soon!
The One Washington Circle Hotel Team

There are newer reviews for One Washington Circle Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2013

For the friendly, helpful service, location and amenities, I don't think you could find a better place in the same price range in Washington, DC.
My room had a kitchen, a balcony, and was very clean and spacious. The kitchen had coffee beans, and a coffee grinder; nice touch.
Next time I am planning a trip to DC, I won't have to look for a hotel; I know where I'll be staying.

Room Tip: I was told not all of the rooms have a balcony and a kitchen. If having both is important to you be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ChefChic2

Dear ChefChic2,
Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at One Washington Circle Hotel! We're thrilled that you were able to enjoy our rooms, our wonderful team and our location! We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future!

The One Washington Circle Hotel Team

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a one day stay in DC for a business training session. From a location standpoint, this is perfect. My meeting was .3 miles away from hotel which made it very convenient. Couple that with what I would consider a great nightly rate and this is what drove my decision. Upon check in, the staff was very nice and informative though I am pretty low maintenance as a guest. It was nice to have a nice smile from the night clerk. I was informed that I was in a room usually reserved for those with disabilities. As a result, I think this put me in a very large room with lots of space. The room reminded me of an extended stay hotel that included a kitchenette. Could see this as a plus if I were staying for a longer period of time. I had a larger balcony on the second floor though there were not chairs to sit in had I wanted to spend some time on the deck watching DC locals go about their day. The room was clean and well maintained though the furnishings could use a bit of a refresh. The linens on the bed have seen better days but the towels were light and fluffy. I don't mind the dispensers for shampoo and such as I think this is less wasteful then having little bottles set out every day. Didn't eat at the restaurant but seems like it is good based on the recent accolades that are posted in the elevators. As a downtown dweller, the noise issue was not even noticeable to me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Curt A,
Thank you for posting your review of your stay with us here at One Washington Circle Hotel.
We're so glad you enjoyed our hotel and our location. In the coming months we look forward to continuously improving our hotel through renovations and we certainly hope that the next time your in DC you will be able to enjoy some of our upgrades!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel and it was a great stay from start to finish. Our room had 2 double beds and a full kitchen. It was very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff greeted us with a smile each time. A bonus was the complimentary bottled water which was left in our room each day and also available in the lobby. This was especially welcome during the heat-wave in July. We made full use of the kitchen and bought all our groceries from Trader Joes, which is about 3 blocks from the hotel. The staff at Traders Joes were always very friendly and helpful. The Foggy Bottom metro stop is just across the park from the hotel. Pentagon City mall is just a few metro stops away from here and will keep the teenagers (and shopaholics) happy for a few hours! The Circle may not be part of a big hotel chain but it is a great hotel and we will definitely stay there on our next trip to DC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Larrytours

Dear Larrytours,
How wonderful to get such a great review all the way from Belfast! We're so thrilled you were able to enjoy not only the wonderful location of our hotel but also our hotel's staff and amenities! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to DC!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

It wasn't great. It wasn't awful. It was clean, centrally located for our needs, and near a Metro stop. The bed was uncomfortable. You will need earplugs because George Washington Hospital is on the other side of the circle and the ambulance sirens sound off all night. The tv reception was spotty. It's a decent room the price. It is within walking distance to a Starbucks, a library, and BTS. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The kitchen was equipped with a coffee maker, a gas stove, and a decent size refrigerator. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GWUInnGM, Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Relaxing Rita,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I certainly apologize it wasn't as relaxing as it should have been for you. Please know that we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms, including our bedding. While we cannot control the level of street noise, we do our best to accommodate our lighter-sleepers by putting them in rooms on a higher floor and facing away from the circle, as well as providing ear plugs should any of our guests need them!
We hope to welcome you back very soon and provide you a much more "Relaxing Rita' experience!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Have tried many hotels in DC besides this one, but I fully intend to stick with One Washington Circle. Not a luxury hotel , but if you want a place that's comfortable, clean, and convenient with lovely staff and an excellent restaurant, go for it. Bonus: All rooms have balconies and full kitchens, and there's a very nice small outdoor pool. Also, they seem to be continually upgrading some of the older rooms, but in an unobtrusive way. Location is great, too: A few blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro (Red Line),and very close to Georgetown and Dupont Circle. So unless you need loads of pampering, give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from the firehouse street
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SarahNYC-NOLA

Dear SarahNYC-Nola,
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us! We're so glad you were able to enjoy not just our rooms, but our team, our pool and our wonderful restaurant! You are right, we are constantly seeking to renovate and improve our hotel and we're so glad to know it is done as un-obtrusively as possible!
We certainly hope to welcome you back very soon!
The One Washington Circle Hotel team

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights in July. I have stayed at many great hotels when I've traveled and I must say I would definitely stay here again. Ive already recommended it to all my friends. The staff was eager to assist in anything from getting a cab.suggestions on local restaraunts, etc. our room was clean with a great view. They are one block from the metro which is a must. I really could not have had a better experience staying there. The flavored and bottle water they have waiting for you as you come and go is a nice touch. As well as the nightly wine reception the week we were there.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lisa13daug

Dear Lisa13daug,
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us! We're so pleased that you were able to spend a full week with us and got to enjoy our nightly Bistro Hour as well as the amenities of our lobby!
We certainly hope to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to D.C.!
Until then,