“Friendliest staff, great location”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Friendliest staff, great location”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights, and would return to the same hotel if at all possible. It was the perfect trade-off for location between the metro and Georgetown "scene" (restaurants, etc.). It was closer to the metro, which I wanted to ease my daily commute down to the capital area. If you stay at a hotel in any city, you should expect a fair amount of traffic noise (e.g., sirens), and this location has plenty (near the hospital). However, I found the rooms very well insulated, and I never heard any noise after closing my door. I was on the top floor, which certainly helps. Request an upper room if you are sensitive. The bar and restaurant were OK, which is all you can expect for a restaurant in a hotel that tries to compete with some awesome restaurants nearby. OWC was smart by not trying to compete with upscale dining in the area, instead focusing on more standard fare. The staff behind the desk, and especially the front staff greeting guests were top notch and very, very friendly and accommodating. I can't say enough about them. I also had nice visits with the cleaning staff, who paid attention to details in the room each day. This will be my "go to" hotel from now on. Of course, I'd like to see the rates lower, but they are "in line" with other hotels, and cheaper than several that I thought were not as well-located.

Room Tip: Grab an upper room. I had an upper corner room, (2 exterior walls), and could not hear any "ci...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My co-worker or I have had several trips to DC and tried to use this hotel. On 3 separate occasions they over booked and had to move us to another hotel. I don't have to tell you how irritating this is when you have been traveling all day. In my case they moved me to a hotel in the midst of a remodel and it was disgusting because the room I was put in was 10 years overdue for the remodel, torn carpet, dirty, and smelly.

If you will be arriving late I would not book this hotel. You might as well go straight to the hotel they will move you to any way.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul F
GWUInnGM, General Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Paul F,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your past few experiences with us at One Washington Circle Hotel. I want to start off by sincerely apologizing for having to relocate you, as our guest. While we do our best to avoid situations in which we become overbooked and have to relocate our guests, we realize that there are rare times we must do so. However, it is our goal to ensure no guest is ever relocated more than once and I certainly apologize that it has happened to you multiple times.
It is my hope that you will give our hotel another opportunity to provide you with the wonderful experience you were meant to have while staying with us. Please contact me directly through the hotel's main phone number when booking your next stay so that I can ensure your stay is flawless.
Don Anderson- Area General Manager
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel in July 2012. Although the hotel is rather old, it was very clean. I had a huge, comfortable bed. Check-in staff were very efficient, polite and welcoming. I requested a room change since I wanted one with a roll-away bed and it was effected swiftly, and happily with profuse apologies. The room was very big - in fact, it felt like an apartment, with a kitchen that had a cooker, a microwave and a fridge. I was attending a conference at GWU, so it was very convenient for me. There is a metro station nearby, but I found it more enjoyable to walk especially in the early evening when the sun wasn't too hot. The White House, the Mall area, Chinatown were all within reach. All in all, it was a good bargain for my budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Moronge O
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed June 15, 2013

One of the best things this hotel has going for it is it's location. It's not too far from Georgetown, the White House and the Foggy Bottom Metro station. There are a decent amount of restaurants in the area as well. However it's location is also one of its biggest drawbacks. Since it is just across the circle from George Washington Univ. Hospital, there are many ambulances that come through the area with loud sirens at all hours of the night. There are also a fair amount of Fire Engines coming through as well as various other police and VIP motorcades. If you're a seasoned urban sleeper you'll likely sleep right through the noise but if you're not used to that much noise it can be problematic. Staying on a higher floor helps some but it is still quite loud at times.

My most recent trip I stayed on the 2nd floor. The room was large with a built in kitchen with fridge, oven and microwave. There was a separate work area but hardly any outlets to plug in computers, phones, etc. The bed had seen better days and was a little lumpy and the pillows were so thin and worn as to be essentially useless. All in all there was nothing about the bed that made it seem like a relaxing, inviting place to sleep. Overall the room (and the entire hotel) looks dated, tired and in need of a refresh.

The staff was friendly and helpful and warrant special mention.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try to talk with the desk clerk to find the quietest room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cptspalding
GWUInnGM, Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear cptspalding,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us! We're thrilled that you were able to enjoy the perks of our very convenient location! As you mentioned, with our centralized location on Washington Circle we are subject to a variety of our cities sirens, motorcades and etc.
As you also mentioned, our rooms are quite spacious and in the coming months we are anticipating renovations and improvements to our guest rooms. We hope that during your next stay with us you will be able to enjoy some of these improvements!
We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Best,
The One Washington Circle Team
Boston
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were here on a very crowded graduation weekend. First floor room with a full kitchen. Location is great and the room was spacious, with a separate bedroom and living room. Very very outdated and there was a bad smell coming from the kitchen/refrigerator. They apologized in advance when they checked us in which tells you they knew it was a crappy room. Breakfast buffet was fine. Had lunch at the restaurant and it was very good, but on the pricey side. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear amd-cba,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your stay at One Washington Circle Hotel. While I am pleased that you were able to enjoy our spacious rooms, centralized location and wonderful restaurant.
I apologize that aspects of your room and your experience were not as pleasant. I can assure you that we will follow up in regards to your feedback.
As we move forward, we are anticipating renovations to both our guest rooms and the public spaces of the hotel and we certainly hope that during your next visit you will get to enjoy some of our updates.
On behalf of the entire staff of One Washington Circle Hotel, we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night between hotels - could have stayed longer. Was provided one of the premium one bedroom suite facing the circle. Well appointed rooms, large and homely with two bathrooms, large living area, dining room and full kitchen. Decor/facilities were clean, functional, comfortable and well maintained, although not particularly spectacular, inspiring or plush.

Sleep quality was pretty good. Comfortable bedroom and bed. On a lower floor so there was a bit of street noise - Washington DC has frequent sirens and lights so generally unavoidable.

Staff were warm and welcoming - eager to please.

Location is excellent - short 10 minute walk to Georgetown and DuPont Circle.

Hotel provided excellent value for the room provided, although I'm sure I booked a standard room instead of the one bedroom suite.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing away from Washington Circle may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnny3_16
GWUInnGM, Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Johnny_316,
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at One Washington Circle Hotel! We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay and your room! Our location on Washington Circle does sometimes provide the unavoidable street noise, but we're glad it wasn't too much of a distraction for you!
We hope to welcome you back the next time you visit D.C.!
Best,
The One Washington Circle Hotel Team
Great Neck, NY
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is an excellent choice for someone wanting to be near Georgetown or the Kennedy Center. The hotel is well kept, very clean, and has comfortable suites with kitchens and coffeemakers,
Service was pleasant and efficient, and it is one block from the Foggy Bottom metro station.

Room Tip: Some rooms have larger balconies than others
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carol B
Dear Carol B,
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us at One Washington Circle Hotel! We're so pleased you were able to enjoy both the comforts of your room and the convenience of our wonderful location in Foggy Bottom.
We hope to welcome you back very soon!
The One Washington Circle Hotel Team