“Great place to stay over thanksgiving”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The service was superb, people so friendly and accommodating. Great location, room worth a view, A special thank you to A.J, Samantha, Jacqueline, and Emmanuel the bellman! The rooms were exceptionally clean. The only thing that needs improvement would be the mattress. It was quite hard. I suggest that the hotel should invest in tempur pedic foam mattresses. Other than that everything was wonderful (including our rate)! We will definitely come back! Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beverly S

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have frequent business in Foggy Bottom, for which One Washington Circle is the perfect location. This time, I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite, which was beautifully designed for space and convenience (huge BR, walk-in closet, bathroom with access from BR and separate access from LR, large dining area, well-equipped kitchen, more closets). But the hotel is old and showing its age: the carpet had stains, there was a crack in the sink, and the bathtub was somewhat worn. What makes this hotel really worth returning to, however, is the excellent and personal quality of the service. The people working here act like real people (none of this "Your business is important to us" nonsense) and they make you feel like a real person. In this regard, I'd especially like to mention Paris at the front desk-- she went out of her way to make me feel safe, comfortable, and well taken care of. The chambermaids also kept everything very clean (not easy with aging facilities), and the doormen were paragons of helpfulness and civility. Service with a smile, definitely!

Room Tip: Hotel is very close to a hospital-- ask for a room facing away from the ambulance entrance.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GracefulUnderFire
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Washington, D.C. this past weekend with another couple. We spent Saturday night at One Washington Circle Hotel. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The room had a queen size bed, a living area with a queen size pull out sofa bed, a small kitchen, and bath. Everything was very clean and well maintained. My only two complaints about the room would be the pillows-too small and the kitchen-in need of renovation. Service was exceptional from check in to check out. The location was perfect for our needs. Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and the war memorials were within walking distance. The metro was only a couple of blocks away for travel to areas more distant. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great staff, big rooms (we got one with a kitchen), walk-in closet, couch. Good value. We were put in a room that was exposed to the recurrent sounds of ambulances heading to the hospital (just around the corner). They showed me a couple different rooms and put us in one that was less noisy. The staff came up and moved us quickly.

If you are not an urbanite and used to the sound of street noise you might consider another place to stay. Even in a quieter room the street noises if evident.

Don't eat in their restaurant. Disappointing food, WAY over priced for Denny-type food.

Room Tip: Get a room on the New Hampshire side, as close to L St. as possible. I'd recommend staying below...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our family was in Washington DC for a long weekend to tour Georgetown and George Washington University campuses. The hotel was in a perfect location as it put us within walking distance of both universities. The neighborhood felt very safe and there were many attractions within walking distance as well. I should mention our family is accostumed to walking a lot.
The hotel itself is a bit older, but essentially clean. Our room seemed smaller than it appeared on the internet, but the hotel staff and service was great. We did have a very noisy air conditioning unit, but because we were only staying there one night, I did not address this concern. The free breakfast buffet was very nice and easily satisfied my two teen eaters. The exercise room is small and does not have a lot of equipment, but I was the only one using the facilities at 6am, so there was no problem, and the room and equpiment worked well and was clean. All in all, we were very pleased with the hotel's location, price and overall accomodations.
One surprise in Washington DC, however, were the rats that are out at night. I did not see any evidence of this problem in the hotel, but was quite surprised when taking a late night stroll around the White House to discover the large number of "nocturnal squirrels". It can be disturbing if you have a fear of rodentia. But I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KES91165
GWUInnGM, General Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear KES91165,

Than you for taking the time to review our hotel. I truly appreciate the comments regarding our team, as well as the positive comments about the location, etc.

I must admit, that I had not heard of "nocturnal squirrels" previously, but plan to use this phrase in the future! As you can probably imagine we have a rather aggressive preventiative program in place to avoid any visitors.

I hope you wiull visit us again if your son or daughter chooses one of our local universities.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel since my son was a freshman at George Washington University. He is now a senior, and I just recently spent Parent's Weekend in DC at One Washington Circle. Wonderful experience, again and again and again. Every time I left I was greeted, and every time i returned I was welcomed back. The doormen and the front desk couldn't have been nicer. The accommodations were beautiful, very spacious... and I was able to check in at 1:30, which was a bonus! Already booked for Graduation week! And the location is absolutely perfect! Walking distance to both M Street and the Monuments and Museums. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathleen042884

Kathleen042882,

Thank you so much for your review! It is always rewarding to learn that we have made a freind for such a long period of time. What an amazing thing to have your son graduating from school. We certainly hope that he will stay in Washington so you can continue to visit!

I do wish to thank you for your great comments about teh staff. They really do appreciate it and I am happy they continue to mek your experiences so memorable and pleasant.

Hopefully we can meet on your next visit. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our online reservation was mysteriously lost, causing costly and time consuming calls to the booking agency to determine what the cause of the problem was (One Washington Circle's incompetent staff). After our stay, mysterious charges appeared on the credit card which were not explained. When calling the hotel (from Australia) to attempt to get an explanation, the staff repeatedly put us on hold, causing more expensive phone calls.

A truly awful customer experience!! Avoid this hotel like the plague!!

Room Tip: Find somewhere better for the money!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jolian S

Dear Jolian S,

I am so sorry you had such a poor experience wiuth us. This type of experience is not typical and the entire team is disappointed. While I am unaware of the specific details regarding the charges and lost reservation, I would be happy to assist you in anyway possible to try and regain your trust.

While I do not wish additional expense or furstation, I would like to learn more details of what occurred. I also cannot provide you with my contact information through this medium. If you could send me an email through the "contact us" section on our website, I will receive your email and we can be in touch directly.

My apologies again for the experience that you had. I hope to hear from you.