“What a great bargain & location!”

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel has a lot to offer; convenient location, good sized rooms, excellent staff and customer service! The location is perfect for the metro, circulator bus ($1) or simply walking to major sights. The two grocery stores, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are close, but CVS - even closer, has many grocery items at a fraction of the cost, including fresh salads, wraps & sandwiches.
The hotel staff has been wonderful - it's so nice to be personally greeted on the way in or out, and the lobby is spotless. The free wi-fi works great and the guest laundry facilities were very useful to us, as our stay was fairly long. The TVs are nice and new, bed and kitchen was just fine, having fresh coffee beans and grinder to make daily coffee was really nice, along with a morning paper, available at the front desk. The only drawback to this hotel is something you cannot control in a city: noise. There is a police station and a hospital nearby, so there are sirens to contend with. However, room to room or floor to floor noise was not a problem. If you can tolerate a little urban noise, this is a great place to stay. The full array of room amenities, nice linens and good food at the restaurant leave no complaints. Street noise is the only issue here.

Room Tip: Get as high as you can for less noise, facing away from the circle.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GWUInnGM, General Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Ronald M,

What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our property. The numerous items you pointed out regarding the location and accommodations were wonderful, but I am especially appreciative of the comments regarding the team. The entire staff truly enjoys seeing when they have made an impact - it is simple motivation for them to do even more!

Thank you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,900)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very convenient location - close to everything. Very helpful and friendly staff. Not too far from attractions we were going to visit. Large room and full kitchen - clean room. Nothing to complete will visit again. Reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Harrin,

Thank you for your review of our property. The team always appreciates being able to see when they made a difference. I am also glad that our product and location worked so well for you.

I am sure your next experience will be just as enjoyable.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have visited this hotel many times over the years and I used to enjoy it immensely, but after recent visits I find that it's no longer on my "favorite" list. It still has the advantage of a nice location and large rooms with kitchens, but something has been lost along the way,.

The hotel seems to have a new ownership structure. Reservations are made collectively for both hotel properties, and calls are taken with a hint of frostiness. Upgrades to regular clients that used to be cheerfully offered are no longer available, and if you ask for one, the frosty attitude turns downright rude. I recently called from overseas to reserve a room and when I had a special request, the reservations clerk insisted that I had to hang up and call again in order to speak with her manager. Sigh.

Room rates are dramatically higher, but there haven't been any significant upgrades to the furnishings to indicate what the money is being spent on. The wifi internet connection is weak and uses an obsolete password system that many hotels abandoned years ago -- it means your internet connection will time out frequently and you'll have to go back and log in again. A small irritation, but one that should be fixed.

The front desk staff is new and undertrained, there is no breakfast available, and the hotel's restaurant (The Circle Bistro), apparently gets written up in the local magazines, but is trendily overpriced, so is not convenient for a tired traveler who just wants a sandwich and a beer.

The hotel offers less but charges more. It's now my "stand by" hotel, that I'll only call when other, better hotels are not available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Rogers222,

Thank you for your recent review of One Washington Circle Hotel. You bring some very serious concerns forward that are alarming to me. While there has been some change to our operational structure, the process should be more seemless for the traveler and it appears this was not the case for your stay. The majority of the team has been in place for much of the last three years under this structure. I will take the opportunity to evaluate where we can improve.

I clearly do not know the specifics of your stay or which upgrade you were trying to obtain, so I am not sure if there was nothing available; however my concern is more about the attutude that our representative took when explaining the availability. I apologize that this happened.

As I have indicated in some other responses, the property is scheduled for some upgrades in the near future. If you would like to try us again, please feel free to reach out to me and I will be happy to assist you in anyway I can.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We recently made a trip to Washington, DC and stayed at One Washington Circle hotel.
The people who work there were very friendly and helpful.
The person who "made" the trip for us was Jane who is the bartender in the Circle Bistro in the hotel. She was so friendly and nice and wanted to know about us.
The rooms were very spacious with all the amenities you could need.
It was a great trip .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Pat G.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property. I was so very pleased to see the recognition for Jane. She is one of our most tenured team members and an incredible asset to the experience.

I am so please you had a great stay with us. I will be sure to let Jane know she was recognized!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel is a short walk from the Metro that will get you anywhere you want to go in DC. It is also as close as you can get to George Washington University. Both fantastic since we were visiting the university.

The hotel is dated. But the price was low for the location, so it wasn't a big deal. Also, constant sirens. It's down the street from the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue, so we saw/heard several motorcades with the fanfare. Also, the corner of the university that the hotel is near has the very busy hospital. So, we saw/heard many fire engines and ambulances. The windows didn't keep the noise out. But I brought ear plugs and slept fine. I'd stay there again because of the location. Bonus: the rooms have full kitchens and there is a Whole Foods right by the Metro stop, about a 5 minute walk with stoplights. Not bad.

Room Tip: I'm not sure all rooms have the kitchen, so ask for it if you want it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear DeirdreDedra,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our property on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the positive comments you wrote about our location and rooms.

I am sorry if the siren noise was too frequent, unfortunately our location adjacent to the hospital, fire station and police station does lend itself to frequent sirens, etc.

In addition, I wanted to let you know we are also in the midst of updating the hotel guest rooms. These upgrades will include new carpet, beds and bedding. Hopefully, when you return some of these items will have occurred.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We are currently staying in the One Washington Circle Hotel. We were greeted very warmly by the staff and they helped us with all of our needs. We had some special requests due to the group we were travelling with and the staff ensured that we received everything that we required. All was done with a smile - specially would like to note the help of AG and Smantha.
The location is excellent and very central. The room is very well appointed and is clean - with a kitchen.
Would definitely recommend to anyone coming in the area

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The building itself is quite old, but the furnishings & trappings are quite fresh. The studio apartment I stayed in was spacious, with a gorgeously generous balcony. The walk-in closet was also huge, with an iron, board & in-room safe provided.

The kitchen was really very spacious too! It came equipped with a full 2-door fridge (old, but in excellent working condition), a 4-hob gas stove (and oven!), pots/pans/utensils and enough diningware for 2 people.

The hotel also provides your room with percolators, coffee beans & a coffee grinder, so you can make your own fresh coffee in-room!

The beds here are quite comfortable, with medium-firm mattresses. However, for best sleep quality, do ask for a room that faces away from the circle. Emergency response vehicles seem to run by every half an hour, no matter the time of day (or night!)

I would definitely recommend this place, especially if you were looking to stay for a relatively long period (like, 4 nights or more.. but it's good for short stays too!)

Room Tip: For best sleep quality, do ask for a room that faces away from the circle. Emergency response vehicl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business