“Central”

Ranked #29 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Boston, Massachusetts
“Central”
Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

Pretty darned convenient to everything without the huge pricetag. Although little things added up: rollaway cot, parking (only good until noon, I think) etc. Yes the lobby is striking but the decor doesn"t carry over to the rooms. There is a kitchenette but I could have used less space there and more in the bathroom which was miniscule (even the walk through closet was larger than the bathroom) . Looked like some of the rooms had balcony furniture, ours did not. Mattress was misery: too soft & when my husband moved, the whole mattress moved. Pillows: bricks. That said, for the price I could see staying here again--but they need to spend some time sprucing (and what is it with the falling apart bricks out front?)

Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is minutes away from Foggy Bottom Metro and total time to Federal Triangle or Smithsonian stop for sight seeing for us was never more than 20 minutes door to door. The rooms are spacious and the full kitchen (full size fridge, four burner stove and oven, micro wave etc) was great. We grabbed some things at Trader Joe's and WholeFoods. The coffee beans and grinder were a nice touch. There was a balcony but no furniture out yet.
The room was clean and the staff friendly.
The only down side was the siren noise from the ambulance entrance to GW Hospital and a nearby police station. We were on the 8th floor and fronted the hospital, I think the back rooms would be better. We also couldn't get good WIFI so if that is important to you check on it.

Room Tip: Upper floor in the back away from the GW Hospital
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank plan09
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our experience at the One Washington Square hotel (April 9 & 10, 2012) was consistent with the reviews that were posted before we made our decision. The staff was especially friendly and helpful, and great with our 3-year-old. The room/suite was fine, although some aspects of the hotel were a little "tired". The kitchen was old, the carpets are old, the beds were not entirely comfortable, but all in all we enjoyed ourselves. Having a Trader Joe's two blocks away was a saving grace. We prepared our breakfasts and one dinner in our room, and it was fine. At first the gas stove wouldn't turn on and the fridge door handle broke off, but they sent a friendly engineer right away to fix it. If anything, the "tired" condition of this hotel might save you a little money on ratings, but the more important aspects of a hotel stay are quite reliable here.

Kingston, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This Hotel is just fabulous! It is convenient to everything and the rooms are spotless and so nice. I never heard any noise from othe guests, so I'm not sure what some of your reviewers are talking about. I have been to this hotel 6 times in the last 6 months and I have never been disturbed by anyone dring the night. They better never stay at a Marriott since those walls are tissue paper. You must eat at the Circle Bistro Restaurant during your stay. The food is delicious as is the presentation!

1 Thank Kathleen042884
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Hello Kathleen042884,

We are always excited to hear that our frequent and loyal guests continue to be wowed by our hotel and appreciate the feedback very much.

As I am sure you are aware, travel sites like tripadvisor.com allow for great communication to other potential guests regarding our hotel. Certainly, it is rewarding to read positive reviews on these site; the benefits is two-fold as positive reviews boost our team’s spirit and allow us to grow reputation.

Again, thank you and we look forward to being your hotel of choice with any future reservations to the D.C area.
New York
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Staff was helpful and friendly when we were sent here after our original hotel was overbooked. Good location in Foggy Bottom near GWU and IMF, with Metro access. I agree with the comment that the interior walls are on the thin side as we had a young family next to us. One important note for light sleepers: while exterior walls were heavier and noise from the outside was not too bad, this hotel is just across Washington Circle from GW Hospital's Emergency room entrance, and we did periodically hear sirens. Beds were just OK, and the carpets need replacing, or we would have given an additional star. Lots of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Hello YankeeTraveller08 ,

I want to take the opportunity to let you know, as well as other future guests, about our plans for future upgrades to the property. We are currently in a design phase to enhance our hotel. Within the scope of this project is new bedding and some furniture improvements.

I am hopeful you will give us another try as the property will only get better over the course of the coming months. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.
Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in a great location and has a certain charm but needs an update and you can hear everything in the room next door. It was especially bad since we had a group of kids partying till 3:30 in the morning. A complaint to the front desk fell on deaf ears! I would not stay here again much better choices in the same area.

Stayed April 2012
Hello Michael C,

Thank you for taking the time to post out a review about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience that was caused during your stay. I have addressed your concerns with my front office staff.

This is not the service standard I want you to leave our establishment remembering. In the future we will put forth the greatest effort to ensure you and future guests experience at One Washington Circle Hotel is an enjoyable one.

Our plans for upgrading the property will be new bedding and some furniture improvements.
Oregon
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights over Spring Break with our teenage son. Main concern is how thin the room Walls are... Heard most of went on in adjacent rooms , every night, meaning a bad nights sleep and extremely inappropriate if you have children with you. You can hear every word. Bathroom is the smallest I've ever seen, it's difficult to turn around in it, and there is no storage area at all, apart from the floor. The bath was not cleaned for the duration of our stay. The pool was not in operation during our stay, but we had hoped to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine... Unfortunately the area was not cleaned and a duck had made the pool home.
Overall the hotel is tired, a little grubby, and very very noisy.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank johnbobOregon
FOMattheCircleHotel, Front Office Manager at One Washington Circle Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Hello JohnbobOregon,

The fact that you were looking forward to your stay with us and we were not able to meet your expectations is a major disappointment to me and my team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor night's sleep you experienced during your most recent stay at One Washington Circle Hotel. I regret the inconvenience and frustration you stated about the bathroom and pool area, I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, this is not the impression we want our guests to leave with.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back and personally ensure that you have a great night's sleep without any noise disruption.