“Boutique or Extended Stay? Could be either!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One Washington Circle Hotel

One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #20 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
San Francisco
“Boutique or Extended Stay? Could be either!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a hotel with versatility. It could feel like a boutique hotel, or a businessman's hotel, or a family hotel.

1. Location:
near Metro station (Foggy Bottom);
at a walkable distance from Dupont Circle and GWU area;
a 15-minute drive from the Reagan National Airport;
most cabs know the hotel

2. Rooms:
Very spacious suites;
Small (by comparison with the suite's size) but well-fitted bathroom;
Kitchen comes with a large refrigerator, coffee-grinder, useful set of utensils;
Balcony that could come in useful

5. Misc.:
Fast check-in - not one of those hotels with a large lobby and yet slow check-in;
Very good service; ask Emmanuel about where to eat, etc.;
Whole Foods, 24-hour CVS pharmacy, Walgreens are all nearby;
Sound of sirens could be detrimental to sleep, but that's quite probably true of any hotel within the city's limits

All in all, a very pleasant experience and a hotel I would go back to.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors; if you are particular about your coffee, this is your chance to bri...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AverageTraveller1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights with our 12 year old daughter. Upon arriving we were immediately assisted by a fantastic staff member, Molique (sorry if it is spelt wrong). Who seeing what type of room we had booked and how long we were there for offered us an upgrade. All the staff at the hotel were very helpful and willing to assist. The location was great and very close to the Metro. The room we were in (Grand Suite) was big and clean. Would definitely recommend this to friends and stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacqui K
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Ok, this review is coming a bit late, but my wife and I loved this hotel. We stayed during New Years 2011. The price was only around $75, and the lady at the front desk let us stay an additional night for the same price (which was New Years).
We had a great time, you could live in these rooms for a significant amount of time. They were like little apartments with a kitchen, huge walk in closet, couch and nice big flat screen LCD TV. Whenever in DC, you gotta try this place. You are close to Dupont Circle, the Metro Train, and the Georgetown area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank JohnBlaze28
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is my second review for this hotel. I stayed in their studio suite for $ 85 per night this past weekend and by far it was the best deal I ever paid for a downtown hotel in DC. Large studio with a balcony, nice size living room, a walking closet, a working desk, a pantry and a decent size bathroom. OWC needs to upgrade their bathrooms, especially their tub/shower area. It was not too bad but some tiles were a bit rusty and old. I experienced the same condition on my previous stay at their premium suite. They opened up new restaurants across the circle as well as a high-end supermarket so guests have many options to dine out/get breakfast minutes away from the lobby. Foggy Bottom station is also within a short walking distance. I returned at 2:00 a.m. and they locked down the lobby for additional security measure and the guard asked me to show him my room access card prior to entering the building. I felt safer even though the area is already safe to begin with. I have recommended this hotel to friends for their spacious rooms and friendly services. Book directly from their website and see if they have advance booking specials.

Room Tip: Get better deals from their website booking, they offer better pricing than some online travel websi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Arch-Designer
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This was my second stay at One Washington Circle. My first stay was in 1997 and this one was quite a bit later. But my sense then was the same as it is now, namely that this is a fairly average DC hotel. I would have stayed at the Fairmont, Ritz or Westin (all within a few blocks of each other) but they were sold out due to conferences.

On the pro side, the desk staff were very polite and there was free internet in the room. I also slept very well once I got settled. The rooms can be quite large (as other commentators have noted) because it looks like people combined a few rooms in an apartment to create a hotel room. I also thought the gym was very serviceable.

On the con side, as I was not responsible for doing the booking, I ended up not getting the free parking rate at the hotel, which ended up being a big issue because even though I only stayed at the hotel less than 24 hours, I got charged for two days worth of parking. I also found the bathroom a bit on the daggy side for comparable hotels. I also experienced a rather shady character within a block of the hotel, but this is not the fault of the hotel -- and it is not necessarily typical of this area. But you do get a few "interesting" types from time to time in this neighborhood (which I should know as I actually lived in the area for three years in the early 2000s).

Overall, if I needed to stay here again, I would -- but I would check out what deals Tripadvisor has first!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Kingston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My son attends George Washington University in Washington DC. When we first started visiting the DC area, we weren't really familiar with a lot of the hotels so we always opted for a Marriott. Then we discovered One Washington Circle Hotel. It is the best kept secret in DC! The location is prime. It is right in the center of everything! Walking distance to many upscale restaurants, the monuments, and M street. The hotel is spotless, and offers so many amenities. There is a kitchen, fully stocked with kitchen essentials, even a wine opener and wine glasses! The Fitness Center is also very nice - as is the Circle Bistro Restaurant and Bar. The menu is small but the food is very good.
A lot of rooms have balconies, which I happen to love! The staff is amazing, and so friendly! I hesitated in writing this because I don't want to have a difficult time booking rooms in the future because of gained popularity! But I had to be fair and give them the praise they deserve. You will not be disappointed if you visit this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies are awesome! So are the suites!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathleen042884
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Booked One Washington Circle Hotel when I was traveling alone to the city. I wanted to be walking distance from the Mall and close to the Portrait Gallery. Overall the property is not luxury or in top condition but it was shoulders above some of the mid priced hotels I have been to of late. For the price /location in a major city I think it is hard to complain. I certainly had lots of space to spread out.

The hotel offers kitchens but if I were in need of this feature I would call ahead. The room I booked online had a kitchen however it was poorly equipped with little more than dishes and dining cutlery and glasses but nothing for cooking beyond some pots. The fridge and coffee maker served my purpose. There is a restaurant but I never ate there so have no comment on it. I ate breakfast at a cafe at the suggestion of the staff - Bread and Chocolate. Bread and Chocolate is two blocks away and the omelets and waffles and pastries were all delicious and the cappuccino had top rate foam - and came in a mug as big as a soup bowl. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious for the price so I had no complaints on that score. I read that others had room issues so perhaps call ahead? I did not have mold in my room and someone washed my coffee stuff every day and changed my sheets so it seemed in order. The desk staff was helpful and arranged a fixed price limo back to the airport and helped with dining suggestions.

The area is noisy at times but I found the hotel windows deadened the sirens to a reasonable level. I do travel with earplugs but did not use them. I also live in an urban area so perhaps it is worse for people with quiet hometowns. I would have to say the neighborhood felt really deserted on the weekend. There were some restaurants in walking distance. I did not have any really amazing meals and would do more research next time. I wandered to the National Geographic museum and it was in a pretty neighborhood nearby and I enjoyed the exhibit on at their gallery.

I did walk to the mall and to the museums so it was absolutely fine and safe. For the price, I would stay at the hotel again with my children but would probably chose a different more lively location if I was visiting with my husband.

Hope this helps.