“Giant Suite, Huge Terrace” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
One Washington Circle Hotel
Ranked #29 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Seattle, Washington
“Giant Suite, Huge Terrace”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

I stayed at One Washington Circle for one night during a multi-city business trip.

Check-in was extraordinarily slow, and my room wasn't ready - at 3 PM!

The room itself was huge - basically a one-bedroom apartment with a separate dining area and a giant terrace facing the circle. (Some patio furnture wound have been nice.) The furnishings were pretty basic, but in good condition. The bathroom could have used some updating, and the kitchen (which I didn't use) would probably have been adequate for a longer stay, perhaps with a family. Also, the terrace door was hard to lock and might have posed a security risk.

The hotel is on a busy street, and there's a fair amount of street nose. Since I've always lived in cities, it posed no problem for me, but others might have a problem.

I ordered dinner from room service, and found it really delicious. Frankly, I was surprised considering that the rest of the hotel was adequate, if uninspiring.

The room was quite expensive - but I had a heck of a time finding anything at all for that night. If you could get the suite at a more reasonable rate, this hotel could be a great vacation spot for a family.

• Liked — Great location, huge room and terrace, surprisingly good room service
  • Disliked — Poor front-desk experience, worn bathroom, street noise
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

I have stayed at One Washington Circle a couple times (Dec. 2006 and May 2007) when I had business at George Washington University - which was within convenient walking distance. I have never had any problems, even during periods when there was construction. They made sure to post a notice about when there would be construction work and provided earplugs, but I never had to use them because I was not in my room after 9 am. The rooms were clean and provided plenty of room to work, if needed. The decor was decent, nothing overly exciting or trendy. The bed was comfortable.

Stayed May 2007
VD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

Very disappointing stay in an expensive supposedly 3* hotel. I was checked into a room on a smoking floor without even being asked so the room smelt. The airconditioning wasn't working properly that it got so hot though I had turned it down to the minimum. The bathroom was so small you had to practically go around the toilet bowl to shut the door. The carpet was very old. The last straw was the high price for the room with no breakfast included!!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Put on smoking floor; aircond not working though turned to minimum; small bathroom we had to practically go around the toilet bowl to close the door; old carpet; no Internet access in room; no complimentary breakfast despite high price for room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

I was a bit disappointed with the hotel. After the reviews and the price, I was expecting more.

Pro's: VERY close to metro (Chinatown stop at GWU)
Very roomy suite w/ walk- in closet. 2 blocks from Trader Joe's.

Con's: Very noisy, I could hear my neighbors. "Gourmet kitchen" is a small cave with no dishwasher. TV's are small and poorly situated, sofa bed very uncomfortable and although the lobby and hallway have been spruced up, the building looks to be an old apartment building that has been converted. Very limited room service menu.

It was over- all fine, but it didn't live up to the reviews I read.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no help with bags, no concierge, limited menu
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank taglio1
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

I was looking forward very much to our weekend visit to One Washington Circle after a nice conversation with Ian at reservations and booking the Bed and Breakfast package ($149 during the summer months). He had forgotten to mention in the e-mail confirmation that we were coming on this package so I brought it to his attention and requested he resend the confirmation. I got a cool response from the head of reservations without a personal note of any kind or confirmation. It simply said "You are coming on the Bed and Breakfast
package". I thought I had made a reasonable request, considering it included parking and breakfast. Ian was kind enough to upgrade us to the largest suite on a high floor. We had no trouble with noise at all. The suite was a little run down and depressing and the bathroom was very small. I was surprised the hotel was just finishing up renovations. Breakfast was fine, valet parking was promt. It took a call and a visit to the front desk to have them remove the parking charge from my bill, which of course they did. As someone mentioned before, housekeeping was strange. The first day we left at 8 and came back to freshen up at 3. The room hadn't been done. The next morning she knocked at 8:30 while were still dressing. I believe they are stiving to be a good choice in the area, but some kinks need to be worked out. Maybe others would enjoy the amenities of the room more and not be bothered as much as I was by the decor. Still the value was excellent.

• Stayed August 2007
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in July while the construction was in full swing. We arrived on a Friday and checked out Monday so noise was not a problem. I had some concern about ambulance noise from GWU hopspital, but that was not a problem either. We enjoyed the large room and had plenty of space to spread out. The furniture and decor was very nice and everything was clean and comfortable. The main attraction is the location. We walked almost everywhere and caught the nearby metro when the walk was too much. Dupont Circle is nearby in one direction, the White House area in another, and the monuments a few blocks to the south. The rates went down between the time I booked the room and our arrival date, but the front desk gave me the lower rate without any trouble. We got a great price, but, I'm sure rates will go up when the construction is finished

Stayed July 2007
Hickory, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

If you have time to check out the hotel restaurant, Circle Bistro, while you are there, definitely do so. The chef is Brendan Cox, who is also executive chef at Notti Bianchi. However, he spends most of his time at Circle Bistro and the food really shows it. The rooms were very comfortable and large. I was in a suite that had a desk area, couch, chair, and TV in the front room with a seperate bedroom with a king bed. The suite I was in had a kitchen so that is also an option. The hotel is currently under construction which means that the balconies can't be used. This is unfortunately as on some sides of the hotel there would be some nice views of the Foggy Bottom area. However, also because of this the prices are lower. To me this more than made up for it.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)