“Caveat” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
new york
“Caveat”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Let me start by saying that I did not actually stay at the Graham. We were going to stay, we went as far as trying to make a reservation directly with the hotel. We spoke with someone in reservations who was supposed to confirm the rate and email us later in the day. We never received the confirmation so we called back the next day. We were put on endless hold then were switched to others who were rude and uninterested in helping us with our reservation. It was at that point that we decided that this would not be a good place to stay judging from their nasty staff on the phone. We booked the Jefferson instead which was great. The Graham should take lessons from them.........

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nyer_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The Graham is a clean, efficient hotel just off M Street in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC. The lobby might be small but the rooms are comfortable sized, clean and modern. I spent a little time in the restaurant which was also small but comfortable. I only had coffee there, but the service was excellent. I would imagine the same would apply to breakfast which is a little pricey. I opted to pick up something in the surrounding neighborhood on my way in the morning (lots of choices.) The whole staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sloshgator
Toronto,Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel is over priced and not a luxury property. Our room had bathroom door that didn't close properly! The valet service and parking was slow, and the roof top bar is trying too hard.

The location is good and the front desk staff were pleasant, but there is a lot of work do before I will go back.

The Monticello was a better hotel.

Room Tip: Not 603 as the bathroom door is a sliding door that does not close
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank afellowes4
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Wow. Wow. Wow. Really beautiful hotel on Thomas Jefferson. On a quaint historic cobblestoned street between M Street with every type of restaurant and quality shop you can think of and the historic canal. Adorable. Safe to walk alone at any hour. The room was exquisite. I particularly enjoyed my foam memory mattress. I wondered how far I would sink in to it. Great food in the restaurant with extremely friendly, personable and bright staff. The roof top wrap around bar/lounge is really a wonderful cosmopolitan touch. I recommend this place and hope to stay again. Oh, and only 10 minute ride to the courthouses if you're there on business.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Spent three nights at the Graham on a little get-away with my husband. We picked it for the neighborhood which was lovely. Getting into "downtown" Washington was about a $12 or $15 taxi ride. Don't plan on using the Metro. It's far to the nearest station.
Pros: Comfy bed, nice linen and towels, pleasant staff including front desk and bellmen.
Cons: Small room, noisy heater, one robe for a king room, odd mildew smell in the room
And here's why we won't go back: On the roof is a truly beautiful bar. It is very crowded and certainly a hot spot. There are perhaps hundreds of people coming and going from dinnertime late into the night. That would be fine but they use the same elevator as the guests. They are free to get off at any floor or congregate in the lobby. There is absolutely zero security since anyone from the street has access to anyplace in the building all night. I felt uncomfortable with this lack of security every evening.

Room Tip: High floorbunless you like serious city noises - people and vehicles.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LIGrammy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I chose the Graham b/c of its location and price. The chain hotels were all twice the price. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to my room. I have read a lot of the reviews and can only conclude that all of the rooms are different. I had a suite, with a king bed and a sitting area. My bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have been in. The two areas were completely separate. The "hall" between the two areas housed the bathroom on the left and the closet on the right. TVs in both areas (although I didn't turn on the tv in the sitting area). I didn't utilize the restaurants/bars in the hotel b/c there are too many great choices within a short walk.

I have only one drawback to identify. The Heating/AC unit is on the wall. It is not a centralized system with a thermostat to help you maintain temp and humidity. These systems tend to be louder and harder to control. Mine was't terribly loud, but it was hard to maintain a temp.

I travel for work a lot and as a result, I like the chains for consistency and points accumulation. Next time I am in DC however, I will likely come back to the Graham.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank fpl8of9
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

A very good small hotel in a very good neighborhood, for those who like fancy expensive chain shops. It is new, so not all taxi drivers know it by name. I stayed there 3 or 4 nights for business. Great staff, great breakfast (quick and simple). My suite was convenient, however the writing desk was in bedroom and there was no use for the front room, besides making the bed farther from the front door (also important). The colour scheme of my room was black-and-white, which underlined its cleanness, but felt a bit cool (cold). Noise from the street in the morning was a little louder than I liked.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo