“Great little hotel”

The Graham Georgetown
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here! For sure, the location is tops. Just off M street in the heart of Georgetown. The front desk staff were friendly and though I declined the turndown service, he was also warm and helpful. I was upgraded to the larger size suite, and it was really spacious. The bathroom was also very large (though others have noted, with no racks/hooks for towels). There isn't much to find fault with, but I did find the lighting a bit dark. I had to turn on every possible light for it to be comfortable to work in the front room. I couldn't figure out how to get the light in the closets on, sometimes they magically lit, other times no, making it almost impossible to see anything (e.g., coffee/tea, safe, minibar). My view was also not great, just across a courtyard (with a sofa in it?) to another building. I'm not sure if there are other better views. I liked that the window opened, especially because the heater was a bit tricky.

A few tips--if you are coming from Union Station, there is a wee bus called the Circulator that goes to the exact corner on M street where the hotel is located. It costs $1. I don't know where you pick it up, but I took it from the hotel to the station, which was fabulous, not having to trek with luggage to the train (there aren't any metro stops very close by) and then take the train to the station. It took a good 45 minutes when I left around 11 so if you go during rush hour, allot plenty of time. There is also another route that goes to DuPont Circle. Again, very handy. Look for the little red signs on the street, they are easy to miss. The one staff member I asked about the bus didn't really know about them, but they do have maps at the front desk.

Two great dining choices are Le Pain Quotidien, especially if you are looking for a good breakfast, and DAS Ethiopian. Both just a couple of blocks up M street.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank brooklynprof

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Location, Location, Location. Can't beat the location - close to shopping and restaurants and bars of Georgetown. Top it off with great service and you've got one wonderful hotel. After arriving Thanksgiving night and nothing open at the hotel, the desk clerk called around to find a restaurant that was open and within walking distance. Other staff gave excellent restaurant recommendations and directions to all the local sights. Room was very large (a suite) with clean and spacious bathroom, complete with Bulgari toiletries. Bed was super comfortable. In the end, it was the staff that won me over - so helpful and always kind and considerate.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We spent four nights (2 adults, 2 teens) this fall at The Graham Hotel and were very pleased with the experience.

Positives
-Great location. The Graham is right in the heart of Georgetown, but on a quiet side street, so we absolutely loved the location. Yes, there is some city noise, but nothing out of the ordinary.

-Awesome value. As the hotel is relatively new, we thought the price point for the quality of the room and the location were unbeatable.

-Excellent rooms. We reserved the Luxury King suite plus another Luxury Queen where the boys stayed and both rooms were very spacious and well furnished. On the negative side, the rooms lacked bath tubs, seemed to be missing wall art, and were inadequately lighted.

-Public areas. Very solid reception, downstairs bar, but thought rooftop bar would be a great place to hang out in the summer time.

-Beds and pillows. Top notch and very comfortable.

-Reception. We found the reception staff extremely accommodating, giving us an extended check-out in one room, and then finding availability when our stay extended beyond what we expected.

There are a few drawbacks. Here are some:

Negatives-
-Elevator. There are only two, and one is labeled "Service," so waiting times seemed excessive.

-Breakfast. We opted for the included breakfast. This was a mistake. Breakfast was fine, but the menu was limited and service a tad slow. There's a great crepe place across the street; that would have been a better choice.

-Housekeeping. Unbearably slow. When housekeeping tries to combine cleaning with evening turndown service, you know there's a problem. This occurred several times.

-Temperature/climate. We had a lot of difficulty maintaining a desired temperature in both rooms, ultimately choosing to open windows to keep the room cool.

All in all an excellent stay, would definitely be the top value in Georgetown. No doubt Capellas and the Four Seasons are probably nicer, but for value the Graham can't be beat.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed at the Graham for a week while visiting friends and seeing the sights in Washington DC. Even though there is no immediate access to the DC metro, the Graham is a great location if you want to be close to the shops, sights and restaurants of Georgetown. Buses and taxis are easily available at the top of the street and the walk to Foggy Bottom Metro and beyond is very pleasant and easy. There was never any issue with street noise, the canal path by the hotel made a good running track and the cupcake shop opposite does fantastic expresso. The Potomac is visible at the bottom of the street and there is a Loews Cinema moments away. The Hotel get's 5 stars for it's location. The Hotel experience was a little bit more mixed - I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite from the junior suite I had booked. The room was extremely large but lacked any character and tended to be on the stuffy side. As another review mentioned the bathroom had nowhere to hang towels and I found it to be darker that normal. Overall, it felt more like a very large room rather than a suite. However, full marks for cleanliness and the comfort of the bed. I would be happy to recommend and return

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

A warm welcome on arrival and pleasant King room with a street view of Georgetown to the west. The window opens slightly for fresh air, necessary in the warm room. Soft bed and great linens. The room suffered in the details: no hand soap in the bathroom (they were out but I could have extra shower gel); no luggage rack (they brought one to the room when told); urine on back of toilet seat (cleaned it myself); only decaf for the Keurig and the creamer clumped.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Larry P
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights at the Graham Georgetown while visiting a relative at the hospital. I will admit to Cabbing it everywhere because I didn't want to deal with busses this trip and there is no close metro to Georgetown. I stayed in a King suite which was a nice size and as some have mentioned has a separate living area with a second TV but no door between the two spaces. The bathroom was very nice. There was not place to hang wet towels which is a bit odd and I found myself having to go in the shower to grab a washcloth :) but minor problem. My room was clean and for the first time in a very long time I wasn't frustrated by temperature control on the heating. It didn't bang on and off like so many hotels which was quite a relief. The bed was very comfortable and I am going to call them to ask the type of mattress they use because I had a wonderful nights sleep both nights. I did have room service which was reasonably priced and very good though I would caution anyone ordering the chocolate cake that it would feed a family of 4. :) There is a dining room on the lower level that serves a very nice breakfast.

I think what sets the hotel apart from some of the other boutique hotels is the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was personable and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Robert C, General Manager at The Graham Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Greetings from the Graham Georgetown! We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us while visiting your relative. It is so rewarding to know that the friendliness and professionalism of the team was what made your experience so special to set us apart from the rest of the many choices in our great city. The beds and bedding are wonderful. All the linens are Lidell linens from Ireland and truly it is like sleeping on a cloud allowing for a perfect night's sleep. We look forward to your next visit back to Washington DC and the Graham Georgetown. Thank you for your time and for sharing your experience with us.

Happy Holidays,
Robert

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Graham is in a great location. At the DC-end of Georgetown you're only ever a few minutes walk away from shops, bars, the C&O canal and the bus stop with regular buses going into DC itself. The hotel itself is very welcoming - the lobby smells amazing! The rooms are a good size and are light and airy, our bedroom had three windows. The bathroom was large and again light and airy, however whilst they provided a lot of towels there was no rail or hook to hang them on. The staff were great with maybe the exception of one surly housekeeper. Would definitely recommend The Graham to anyone visiting Georgetown or DC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
david m, Manager at The Graham Georgetown, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and its great location and spacious marble lined bathrooms.

We are all very proud of our new hotel and take great pride and ownership of the details here. Thank you for your compliments to the staff.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon,

David McDermott