“Faded glory”
Review of The Georgetown Inn

The Georgetown Inn
Ranked #96 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip as my boss said it was best located for the office I was visiting. Georgetown itself is a great place, full of character with plenty of good restaurants for the business traveller. This hotel though had seen better days. I'm surprised Americans put up with it given that they tend to have higher expectations than we Europeans. Yes there is some nice, old furniture in the rooms but carpets, curtains and paintwork all need replacing/redoing eventually!. Bed was lovely though and very comfortable but then bathroom was a disgrace. I only had a shower who's controls looked like they were about to fall out of the unit and the plug/stopper on my sink/wash basin didn't work so I had to shave with constantly running water. I wondered if this was normal in the States having not visited in years but realised it wasn't when I stayed elsewhere more recently.

I think one could tolerate the bad points if you were paying less but the hotel is very expensive and I think customers deserve better for the price they pay here. I'm returning to DC in October but have booked another hotel in the city for a similar price but which appears to be classier with better reviews, and one which offers free wifi - Georgetown Inn didn't!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KevinB06
GeorgetownGM, Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent visit to The Georgetown Inn. We regret that your experience did not meet or exceed your expectations. One small correction, though -- the wireless internet access has been free for quite some time now. However, we are very interested in your opinion as we move forward with the renovation plans for our hotel. We sincerely hope that we will have the occasion to show you our improvements in the future.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was a bit reluctant to stay at the Georgetown Inn after reading the review. The reason I chose to stay here is the location above M street, the price and I wanted to be in Georgetown. The Capella and The Ritz are a very different level of hotel and about double the price (or more!). So I went with the Georgetown Inn and the $200.00 a night rate. Cappella and The Ritz were 450.00 area. The place is definitely TIRED. The bathrooms are dated, there is dust on the walls, the carpet is old and it has window units. None of that bothered me too much because I was expecting it from the reviews. The bed was great. Nice mattress and great pillows. They use window units and another type of AC. They are loud but I thought of it as a sound machine. All in all I was happy with what I got for the price I paid.

Room Tip: I asked for a clean room and told them I read Tripadvisors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced comments regarding your most recent visit to The Georgetown Inn. We are pleased that your visit to Georgetown and the nation's capital was an overall success! All of us at The Georgetown Inn will certainly look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The staff is friendly and the location can't be beat, so if you get a good price for a room it can be worth it...with some caveats. I stayed here several times 7-8 years ago and enjoyed it very much. My recent stay, however, was disappointing. The first room I was given was above the restaurant exhaust fans and smelled like fried food. I was courteously given a second room, which was nicer but smelled slightly mildewy, and the furniture was quite worn. The service in the restaurant for breakfast was slowwww. Room service the next day was better, and the food is very good. All in all, it was a mixed experience and I'm sorry to see this gem of a hotel in decline.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Georgetown Inn. We regret that our facilities and services did not meet or exceed your expectations. However, we are very interested in your opinion as we move forward with the necessary improvements to our hotel. We sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great hotel in Georgetown. Walk to super restaurants, shopping, walk to Georgetown University (sports, chapel, historical). Location is ideal. Hotel: still a gem, a little tired, comfortable beds, wifi, nice reception. If you need to be in Georgetown, this is a good place. We paid $179 a night including parking, breakfast not included. Average for DC area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank midge74
GeorgetownGM, Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for such a positive response -- we're thrilled that your visit was a perfect one. It is very gratifying for all of us at The Georgetown Inn to have been part of your successful visit to this nation's capital. We hope to have many other opportunities to host your visits to Georgetown and Washington, DC in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here in the heat of July. AC works but blows constantly and loudly. The double queen room is sized well, we were not in the room much. This hotel could be a gem,but it clearly is not. The shower has black mold, the fittings and cabinets are worn out. Toilet runs periodically. The furniture in the sitting area may be as old as my Grandmothers, however my Grandmother kept hers cleaned. We had to request that the carpet at least be vacuumed, it was so dirty looking. The bed skirts around the beds seem to be original from the inception of the inn, they are faded, ripped and just nasty looking. We stayed on the 5th floor so street noise wasn't an issue, in fact didn't hear much noise at all since we are at the end of the hall. Ate at the Daily Grill was just as grimy.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunnybay40

First of all, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experiences at our hotel. We are disappointed that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. We can only hope that we will have other opportunities to host your visits to the nation's capital. In the meantime, we will continue to work hard toward improving our hotel facilities and services.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The service is still good as is the smaller room selection - old school charm. The new rooms are modern and sparsely furnished (on purpose). The contrast is confusing. I personally prefer the older style which feels more comfortable and is more consistent with the neighborhood

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgetownGM, Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced comments about our the new décor in some of our guestrooms. We are very interested in your opinion as we decide to move forward with improvements to our facilities. We hope that we will have many opportunities to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I probably haven't written one of these in seven or eight years, but felt compelled because I am so in awe of how overrated and overpriced this place is. I am a Georgetown resident who often stays in area hotels when I want to get out of the house. I had never been to this place until this week because there are lots of great options and this is always on the expensive side, but this week it happened to be a reasonable $219 nightly so I booked. I arrived late (around 1.30 am) and things got off to a bad start. There was no security and no one at the reception desk. I had to shout "hello?" to get someone to come out from the back office. He had the air more of a disgruntled mall cop than a staff member of a luxury hotel. He was brusque and provided no info about wifi, parking — really nothing but the room number and the breakfast plan. The room was even worse. The sheets were damp because of poor ventilation and though the floors have been re-carpeted and the walls repapered, the dials and bathroom fixtures probably haven't been changed since the hotel was built in 1962. The desk continued to be unmanned when I entered and exited throughout the following day. Really what you're paying for is location; it is in the heart of Georgetown. But Georgetown itself is as much of a mirage as this hotel; it's a mecca of overpriced and un-unique shops, restaurants, and bars. I beg you to stay somewhere else in DC — there are much cooler areas like Adams Morgan, Dupont, etc — but if you must stay in the area, stay at The Graham. It's beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank multipurposeone1

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Georgetown Inn. We are very sorry that our facilities and services did not meet or exceed your expectations. In the future, we hope that you will reconsider staying with us as we make improvements in our property.