“Mixed bag” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mixed bag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The service is still good as is the smaller room selection - old school charm. The new rooms are modern and sparsely furnished (on purpose). The contrast is confusing. I personally prefer the older style which feels more comfortable and is more consistent with the neighborhood

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
GeorgetownGM, Manager at Georgetown Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced comments about our the new décor in some of our guestrooms. We are very interested in your opinion as we decide to move forward with improvements to our facilities. We hope that we will have many opportunities to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I probably haven't written one of these in seven or eight years, but felt compelled because I am so in awe of how overrated and overpriced this place is. I am a Georgetown resident who often stays in area hotels when I want to get out of the house. I had never been to this place until this week because there are lots of great options and this is always on the expensive side, but this week it happened to be a reasonable $219 nightly so I booked. I arrived late (around 1.30 am) and things got off to a bad start. There was no security and no one at the reception desk. I had to shout "hello?" to get someone to come out from the back office. He had the air more of a disgruntled mall cop than a staff member of a luxury hotel. He was brusque and provided no info about wifi, parking — really nothing but the room number and the breakfast plan. The room was even worse. The sheets were damp because of poor ventilation and though the floors have been re-carpeted and the walls repapered, the dials and bathroom fixtures probably haven't been changed since the hotel was built in 1962. The desk continued to be unmanned when I entered and exited throughout the following day. Really what you're paying for is location; it is in the heart of Georgetown. But Georgetown itself is as much of a mirage as this hotel; it's a mecca of overpriced and un-unique shops, restaurants, and bars. I beg you to stay somewhere else in DC — there are much cooler areas like Adams Morgan, Dupont, etc — but if you must stay in the area, stay at The Graham. It's beautiful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank multipurposeone1
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Georgetown Inn. We are very sorry that our facilities and services did not meet or exceed your expectations. In the future, we hope that you will reconsider staying with us as we make improvements in our property.
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Local to the area, we decided to have a special night in the city so we got a room in Georgetown. The customer service was fabulous from everyone to the bellman to the man who delivered our room service. But the overall hotel needs a little TLC. The interesting fixtures in the room, while unique, made me feel like I was staying in my grandparents house (literally, my great grandma had the same couch...). The bed was only OK and the fitted sheet didn't fit! We were in the room really only to sleep so this was a major factor. Although we did not hear a peep from the street all night, a plus!

Would definitely recommend as the price is right for the Georgetown Area, but I am sure there are much nicer hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your balanced and thoughtful comments regarding your recent stay at The Georgetown Inn. We appreciate your willingness to recommend us and look forward to welcoming you back again!
South
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Georgetown Inn when our other favorite DC hotel was not available. Our room was nice sized, but a bit dirty ( We found peanuts on the floor.) We asked for ice, but were sent on a wild goose chase and came up empty handed so service & amenities were lacking during our visit. My daughter quickly noticed that the staff did not greet us when we returned to the hotel whereas at our preferred hotel they always say hello or welcome back. Little things matter and young people notice the smallest gestures!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
GeorgetownGM, Manager at Georgetown Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very interested in your opinion as we move forward with the necessary improvements to our facilities and services. We hope that we will have many other opportunities to serve you in the future.
Chesterfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife, son and I stayed the evening if the 4th and had a very good experience. The location is in the heart of Georgetown and within walking distance of great shopping and restaurants. Room was large and comfortable with nice view of the Mall fireworks. Recommended for a stay in the DC area

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Room was large and comfortable with nice view of the Mall fireworks.

Recommended for a stay in the DC area

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing The Georgetown Inn for your visit during the Fourth of July festivities in our nation's capital! We are very pleased that you had such a good time and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Georgetown again.
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family has been loyal and long time guest at the Georgetown Inn for over 7 years. Without fail, we would always book our reservations online with the Georgetown Inn whenever visiting the D.C. area. There has never been any reason for concern or complaints during this time until now.

Last May 2012, we made reservations for two rooms. The reservations were made within the one- year period allowed for early reservations for Graduation week. I verified our reservations both on line as well as through the front desk. Several months later, we received notification that all reservations must be paid in full or the reservations would be cancelled. I would point out that the notification for payment in full was sent to us after the stated deadline for payment. I immediately went on-line to "pay in full" for our reservations and received the message that neither the confirmation numbers nor the name existed. I then proceeded to contact the front desk at the Georgetown Inn and explained the scenario. The reservations individual stated: “There is indeed no reservation under your name or confirmation numbers. The reservations were cancelled due to a policy of full payment in advance for all graduation week reservations." We were never given any time or recourse in the matter. Totally disappointed and now panicking as to where to stay, I again reconfirmed with reservations that indeed we had no reservations in our name. With a “Sorry, no you do not” I immediately contacted other hotels for possible arrangements.

Last month much to our surprise, our credit card statement reflected a charge for two rooms at the Georgetown Inn. I immediately contacted the hotel and spoke to a hotel representative, Salina and was informed the charge was for a “no show” payment. I inquired as to how a bill could be generated for a reservation, which allegedly did not exist and was informed that I would need to contact the front desk manager. I have since made several attempts to contact hotel management on multiple levels, without a single response of any kind. All we have asked for is an HONEST explanation of how a bill was generated for a reservation cancelled by the hotel for lack of payment in full.

Our main disappointment and concern is the fact on how irresponsible and uncommunicative the current Georgetown Inn management has been. First, the hotel informed us of a payment in full requirement after the deadline for the payment, thus cancelling our reservation, then charging us a “no show” fee for the reservation. I have made numerous phone calls and emails to the front office Manager, Brendan Whitman. I have left numerous messages through the front desk employee, Salina. I have sent copies to the General Manager, Charles Davis. Not one single response! What does one need to do to get a response, no less an honest one, and a refund due for obvious management/mismanagement?

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Caroline M
First of all, thank you for your steadfast loyalty to The Georgetown Inn over so many years. We sincerely apologize that the issues you've described have gone un-resolved for so long. Please contact the General Manager of the hotel immediately or at your earliest convenience so that we can begin our efforts to make everything right, again. In the meantime, we hope that you will be able to please accept our apologies.