“Avoid this hotel!”
Review of The Georgetown Inn

The Georgetown Inn
Ranked #95 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 19, 2012

3 a.m. - Woke uncomfortably due to extreme heat in room. Front desk said nothing could be done - they said we should open window. Window (see photo) with no screen or security opened onto kitchen exhaust and view of alley over flat roof. This was very unsafe. No relief from heat until we opened the door to the hall. No sleep was possible under these conditions! Management not on site. Desk clerk gave manager's name and encouraged a call next business day, I left message but manager never called. Multiple phone calls were never returned. Extremely inferior room (see photos) very high price. Terrible service and the management just does not care.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ammckam
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

We apologize your stay was less than expected. Comments such as yours are not typical of our hotel and we are definately looking into the situation. We welcome a chance to earn back your business.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

New management, but not much has changed.
Well, fortunately, they didn't change the location! :-)

Just a few comments to add to what others have said.

o Internet is very slow, and intermittent. But it was mostly functional and it’s free.

o Bathroom is very small and has no bath tub.

o Television is high def… but the channels it gets are not.

o I was here on a Sat. night, with a window looking onto Wisconsin, and it was not noisy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Crito0
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Georgetown Inn is out of date,disheveled, and very expensive. The owners have run the numbers and decided that they can slide by without updating the hotel in any manner simply because of its outstanding location in the middle of Georgetown. I paid $339/night for an 'executive suite' that had old carpeting, mismatched furniture, non-existent WIFI, a broken coffee maker, and a bathroom that had not been updated since the Carter administration.

The staff was pleasant enough, but then again, I really didn't need anything from them other than to process my credit card and hand me my room key.

With so many hotel options in Washington, D.C, please do yourself a favor and book somewhere else. If the owners of this hotel want to let their hotel rot and decay, that is their prerogative, just don't make the same mistake I did by booking there hoping for a room that is commensurate with the high room rate.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, do not pay extra for an 'executive suite'.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jjnla
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

We apologize your stay was less than expected. Our company purchased the Georgetown Inn less than one year ago and we are making improvements. Feedback such as yours assists us in these efforts. We have recently updated, televisions, carpet, wallpaper and our efforts are ongoing. We care about your business and welcome an opportunity to earn it back.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at the Georgetown Inn while taking my daughter to Georgetown University this past August. I was looking for a reasonably-priced hotel that would have decent beds (I'm a princess about my sleep) and this hotel exceeded my expectations. There is not much in the way of a lobby but the room was nicely appointed, very clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable and had decent sheets. My only complaint was that, on the first night, we needed a rollaway bed for my daughter and it was extremely uncomfortable. Being a teenager, she can pretty much sleep on a rock, and even she complained. Other than that, I was very happy with this hotel, and would definitely stay there again. Great location too, near all of Georgetown's fun shopping and a short walk from Dean and DeLuca.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Before I booked a reservation here, I thoroughly read about all the pros and cons of the Georgetown Inn and, to my eternal shame, I stayed here anyway. What a mistake. Yes, it's nice to be able to stay at a place in central Georgetown that's close to the University. Yes, it's nice to stay at a place that has the Daily Grill downstairs just off the lobby so that food and beverages are taken care of. But no, it's not nice to stay at a place that has obviously skimped on so many basic improvements over the years that guests like me are offended by staying here. This is an independent hotel that has coasted on its reputation and routinely agonizes and antagonizes its guests because of its lack of basic amenities.

The Georgetown Inn looks great from the outside, but is falling apart internally.

I booked five nights here as part of Georgetown University's "Parents Weekend." Not only does the Georgetown Inn not have a Georgetown University rate, but it jacks up the prices of its rooms by at least $100/night during events like this. I was robbed.

I had an inclination that things would not go well here when, on the morning of my late-night check in after a cross-country flight, I called the front desk to reconfirm my reservations for an Executive King room in a quiet part of the hotel and to request additional clothes hangers be supplied in the closets before our arrival. The hapless front desk clerk told me that she was unable to provide extra clothes hangers to an "empty room" prior to arrival but that this could be addressed when we checked in. When I pointed out that we would be arriving close to midnight, i.e. when housekeeping services were not available, I was assured that this would not be a problem. What a joke!

When we arrived, things started to unravel immediately. The "Executive King" room I had booked was room # 501. The bed was smaller than a queen. It was tiny and uncomfortable. The room was broiling hot and the air conditioning/heating HVAC was ineffective. The more we tried to cool the room down by turning the controller to "cool" and "high" the more the unit rattled, at times uncontrollably loud. Sleep was not possible that night. Despite my advance request, there were no additional clothes hangers in the room. We called down to the front desk. Unfortunately, the phone in our room #501 was labeled #502 and when the front desk called back, we couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear us. I went out into the hallway, found the housekeeping room next door unlocked and took lots of clothes hangers from there into our room. (I'm sorry, Georgetown Inn: do not say it's not possible to handle this simple request in advance.) So upon check in, our room was miserably hot, the air conditioning didn't work, and the windows which are clearly marked "Do Not Open" are impossible to open. We sweated through an uncomfortable night without sleep.

The next morning, we switched rooms to #407. Thank god, it was a real King Bed as advertised. But the air conditioning/heating system still didn't work and continued to pump out hot and stuffy air. We complained to the front desk. Maintenance "fixed" the problem by turning off the heating/system and opening the windows to let some fresh air in. Very, very lame. (Oh, by the way, the windows in this hotel are like guillotines. Impossible to open, but it you attempt to slide them apart, be very, very careful or you risk losing fingers. ) It was still a better room, but anything facing the front of the hotel and Wisconsin Avenue is going to get blasted by street noise. The "Five Guys" hamburger restaurant directly across the street blasted loud music until 1AM, buses started running at 5:30AM and construction started directly across the street at 6AM. Unbelievable. Remember my incorrectly-labeled phone from my previous room? This room's phone....the phone for room #407, was labeled 502. Not only is this inexcusable, it's a safety hazard.

Then there was the issue of our room door in #407. It didn't work. It often took twenty or thirty swipes of our key card to unlock the door each and every time we tried. (Security said this was caused by my placing our room key card in my wallet next to our credit cards!) but this happened repeatedly with newly-issued room key cards supplied by the front desk. At one point, the door lock stopped working entirely, and wouldn't lock at all as we tried to leave the room. We called down to the front desk on our cellphones because of the inability of the room phone to work properly and security once again told us it was our fault. Very lame.

Overall, the rooms are oddly shaped. The bathrooms are tiny and just plain weird. The toilet is extremely low. Maintenance has not put a high priority on the bathrooms.

If there is a saving grace here, it's the staff. They try hard and mean well. But they are in over their heads. They can't possibly help guests enjoy their stay when the deck is stacked against them like this.

It would take an act of god for me to stay here again, but I look forward to seeing a reply from the hotel's General Manager telling reassuring me that all is well.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the hotel at all costs
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Mark M
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is through feedback such as yours that we can are able to target our improvement efforts. We apologize your stay was less than expected. Our company purchased the Georgetown Inn less than one year ago and we have steadily been making improvements in product and services. We welcome a chance to earn back your business.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

While it has a great location, the rooms are very old, have mismatched and worn out furniture, bathrooms are from the 1980s and the carpets, let's just say keep your shoes on. Too bad the owners don't refurbish the place because the location is excellent. Also the heating and AC units tend not to work.

Room Tip: for a good room, stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank wallyduke
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments. We apologize your stay was less than expected. Our company purchased the Georgetown Inn less than one year ago and we are committed to making improvements and maintaining the history of Georgetown Inn and feedback such as yours is an important part of that process. We appreciate your business and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a reasonable hotel but had to many faults to score anything higher three. My first night was disturbed by a very loud central air conditioner. To their credit, they moved me to another room but this smelt like stale smoke which was off-putting. The rooms were very big with a separate lounge and the beds were comfortable. The big negative was the dining room staff. I don't think I have ever found it so hard to be served in the USA. The staff perfected the skill of avoiding eye contact and were extremely slow in bringing anything to the table even though there weren't that many customers. On the final day, my colleague had had enough and decided not to tip. He received the bill which had 20% tip added which he crossed out. He later found this was included back in the bill at check out ( he duly asked for it to be deleted again). The location is good and if they can improve on some of these faults it would be a positive recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgetown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our product and services. I was pleased to read the staff addressed your concerns and moved yuo to another room. Providing excellent customer care is a priority at Georgetown Inn. We apologize on behalf of the restaurant. The restaurant is not owned or managed by the Georgetown Inn, but we will insure that we speak to their management regarding your comments and we will take measure to insure this does not happen again. We appreciate your business and we hope you will stay with us again.