“Nice place with some quirks. Great for a longer stay when you need a good home base.”

Georgetown Inn West End
Ranked #96 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Just finished a 9-night stay at the Best Western Georgetown Inn and Suites.

First things first... the hotel is actually in Foggy Bottom. Not a big deal... just don't think you're staying right in Georgetown if you book a room here. It's not far away, but this is Foggy Bottom and right next to George Washington University.

Pros about this property:

* The rooms are nice and big. Our room included a large, comfy King-size bed, a sofa, desk, lounge chair and corner table with two chairs. Not bad. Plus, we had a microwave, refrigerator, paper towels w/ holder, cabinet with two glass plates, two glasses, two sets of silverware, coffee maker w/ coffee and a separate sink with plenty of space to fill up a gallon-size plastic bottle of water. The TV is located between the bed and the living room section of the sweet... and sits on a Lazy Susan-type swivel on the dresser at the foot of the bed. This is great because if your companion is sleeping, you can swivel the TV around and watch it from the couch! Brilliant! Just make sure the coaxial cable is tight so the reception is clear (I was a bit miffed that AMC was not among the channel selections, so I ended up missing the new episode of Mad Men... but that's the cable company's fault...).

* The room we stayed in -- a King bed, deluxe Suite -- had TWO air conditioners!! That room was never hot, even though it was August and it was hotter than hell outside. I was very happy about this!

* The breakfast room is spacious with an extra room. There's always somewhere to sit. And, the breakfast -- albeit simple -- is quick and convenient. It generally includes an assortment of bagels, bread for toast, hard-boiled eggs and sometimes toaster waffles. Cereal choices included Chex, Trix, Cheerios and Total Raisin Bran. Lemonade, orange juice and apple juice were available every morning, along with coffee and milk (2% and skim). Condiments included jam, butter and cream cheese. If I got there before 8:30 a.m., I could usually snag a free copy of USA Today or The Washington Post. There is also a TV in the corner, but I usually just read the paper.

* The hotel is located in a great neighborhood! No kidding! It's right next to GWU, half a block from a 24-hour Walgreens (great for buying soda, water, snacks... or any other thing you'd need from the grocery store/pharmacy hybrid). I went there at 1 a.m. in the morning and found that I wasn't the only sane person walking the streets. I never once felt unsafe.
You can also walk easily to the Kennedy Center (We went to see the long-running improv comedy show "Shear Madness" one night... highly recommended!! AAA members even get a discount on tickets when you mention your membership on the phone with the box office) and the White House. The Lincoln Memorial is about 15 minutes away by foot, which is great, since there isn't a close Metro station near that side of the mall (if you you are just going to the Washington Monument or the Smithsonian museums, you can take one of several close stations).

* The hotel is just a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop. If you're in DC, the Metro is the BEST way to see the city. It's relatively inexpensive and fast. I never had to wait more than 3-5 minutes for a train on weekdays, and no more than 6-8 minutes on weekdays. Plus, once you get used to the routes (which takes maybe one or two trips somewhere), you'll feel like a pro.

* While I do like to eat out at new places on vacation, sometimes I just like to grab something quick at a place I know. Subway, McDonald's, Dominos Pizza and Starbucks are just a few blocks away (you can even order pizza on Dominos Web site via your laptop and then walk over to pick it up. Very nice.). The night we went to the Kennedy Center, we stopped at Notti Bianche along the way at 824 New Hampshire Ave. NW... great food and nice, quiet atmosphere.

* Parking is just around the corner at the Ritz Carlton. You pay the Best Western directly at the end of your stay. We rented a car for a few nights at the end of our stay to visit Monticello and Mount Vernon. The Best Western gave me a card to use in the Ritz Carlton parking lot that let me in and out of their lot whenever I liked. Parking was $19.99 a night and was also readily available. I found it to be a completely easy experience. I rented the car from AVIS, which was just a few blocks from the hotel on M street (I just walked there to pick up the car).

* The wireless connection is fairly strong... sometimes it would get a bit slow, but generally, it wasn't bad. Definitely bring your laptop if you have one; it makes planning out your days a breeze.

CONS:

* The elevators in this hotel are dreadfully slow. As you face the elevators from the lobby, the right one has no "Close Doors" option and buzzes as it passes each floor. The left elevator does have a "Close Doors" button and does not buzz at each floor. I took that one as often as possible. The right elevator also seemed to linger a bit too long when opening, especially at the first floor (the first night, one of the maids -- who was in the elevator with us -- even wondered if it had gotten stuck).

* Some of the hallways smell a bit musty or smoky. Our room was fine, but we were also blasting the A/C the whole time (we're from the Pacific NW, so the humidity was just murder for us). Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

* If you want a room with a view, it'll cost you extra. We went with the basic room for the lowest rate... and our view was of an alley facing another building (read: a view of nothing). This is not the place to stay if you want a gorgeous view of D.C. from your room.

* The car circle in front of the hotel is tiny. My wife and I needed to park there for a few minutes while we ran up to our room to grab something. I was a bit worried because if someone else came, they would not be able to get out until I came back (I suppose they could alway back out, but no matter... we went fast). Just be advised that it's not large, so be courteous (Not that I recommend driving in DC if you can help it... the city is TERRIBLE for driving. Such a complete mess with all their roundabouts and weird diagonal/one-way streets. Give me L.A. or Seattle, SF or Seattle over DC anyday! Bleh!).

Overall, I really enjoyed staying here. It was a nice base for our 9-night stay. Keep checking the price online... I booked the room in May, and in June I found a slightly cheaper rate. I just booked the new rate online, then once it was confirmed, I canceled the old reservation. Quick and easy. Best Western has a great online booking system.

If I was in DC for just a few days, I might stay at a nicer place closer downtown, but this was great for a pure sightseeing vacation where the room was just that... a place to rest and sleep until the next morning. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Josh A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I shipped some business documents ahead of my arrival but when I asked for them, they said they never arrived! After I insisted they look again (for the third time) they found my package. But, since I didn't get my package before my business meeting, they were to ship these documents back at their cost. Instead, they took my credit card number (without my authorization) from my room reservation to send the package back. This should be illegal!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank VeniceTravels
Southwest Missouri
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This is my first entry on tripadvisor. I am taking time to make this entry because I feel so strongly about my experiences at this property. I stayed at this hotel on a business trip; my HR group choose this hotel for me (as is customary in my company) because it was the cheapest in the area where I was assigned. I tried to encourage a booking at any other hotel in the area, based on the large volume of negative reviews I found, but I was not successful. For the week of my stay, there was only $15 per day difference in this property and several other "chain" hotels in the area. Make your choice accordingly. From the beginning: It is difficult to enter the property if you have any sizable luggage. There are several steps, and a small landing to negotiate at the entry, and then more steps inside. (There is a handicap entrance at the side of the building, but it is not readily evident, and is locked to prevent outside entry.) The front desk staff is barely professional. It took three tries to get a room. The first room was a disaster. Not just messy, not just previously inhabited, but with furniture and bedding strewn all about, all the lights on, newpapers everywhere, and there was a desk chair in the bathroom (?). The second try, the key didn't work. The third try got me a room. It was quiet, and the bed was okay. View is of a brick wall. This is a tiny property, so don't expect anything. I didn't sit on the couch - it didn't look comfortable or clean. The room smelled - everything will have to be washed after you leave this hotel, due to the smell. I did not have much luck cooling the room despite two wall mount air conditioners. The air conditioner next to the bed made a high pitched whine when the cooling function cycles, about every 10 minutes. If you can live with that, all night long, then you will be more comfortable than I was. The room does have an under-counter refrigerator, but you can not control the temperature. Don't put anything too perishable in there. I visited the breakfast area the first morning of my stay. All previous reviews are accurate from what I saw. Weak, hotel-style juice dispenser, a small carafe of milk, coffee, a few cereals, and several bread choices that did not look appetizing or fresh. And, on a Monday morning, the bananas were so brown they were candidates for making bread, but not for eating. The CVS around the corner has a decent selection of breakfast foods and I recommend that in the alternative. As for location, there is just no reason to stay at this hotel unless you are working at a near-by office building. It is not close to a Metro station, it is not close to the "Mall" or any historic places you might be visitng. You will start every trip out of the hotel with a 15 minute walk to sites or public transportation. This hotel is so small, cabs don't stop here, or generally cruise this street. You can catch a cab at the nicer hotel up the street. If you are driving, that may be another matter. However, I want to mention that I witnessed a very unpleasant and lengthy exchange betwen a guest and the front desk staff, over parking charges. I obviously don't know the whole story, but the staff did not behave professionally, and apparently a manager was not available to intervene. The staff person told the guest they would be charged for X amount of parking, and the guest would have to contact the manager later, hours later. A word to the wise, make sure you understand the parking charges and conditions before you sign up. As always you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank moroadwarrior
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This was a great hotel for a great price at a great location. The staff was courteous and friendly from the moment we entered. I ordered 2 rooms near each other and they were exactly next to the other. Even though it was 3 hours before check-in we we given one room to keep out luggage in. The front desk gave us directions to a nearby supermarket, landmark restaurant and more. When we finally checked in the room was well air-conditioned, very clean and modern with a small kitchenette PERFECT. The two queen size beds were extremely comfortable. We slept great.
The continental breakfast was fine, just like a Hampton Inn one...It was just whate I expected and was lucky to get it included.
The parking was great with an in-out option for $20 a day.
The hop on bus we used (DOUBLE DECKER BUS CO) stopped in front of the hotel.
The Metro had two different stops a couple of blocks away. We preferred Dupont Circle on the Red Line. Many shops, restaurants and more all nestled in this very safe neighborhood we felt comfortable to be in at night.
Whatever complaints you hear are sour grapes, people wanting freebies. Trust me I live in NYC this is a great place to stay!
Oh yeah...whoever complains about no wi-fi doesn't know how to connect. I got the hotel's connection and at least 15 other non-secured ones. Also there is a free business center on the main floor.

pa
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. My son slept on the sofa sleeper and woke up with at least 30 bed bug bites on his stomach. This was confirmed by our pediatric doctor. The general manager at the hotel had the nerve to question our doctor diagnosis. He was rude and told me he checked the room and there were no bed bugs. My advice would be to have a professional pest control company check the room because my son had so many bites. I'm still waiting for an apology but unfortunately he's never returned my calls.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This was a great travelers motel. Standard and Nice! The decor makes you feel as if you are a part of the White House. The Carpets were Blue and Gold and the room had Presidential photos which I loved. We had to share parking with the Ritz Carlton which was great because we knew it would be secure (We parked next to a 85K Bentley). We didnt eat breakfast but the Night Auditor was very friendly. Would recommend this hotel to everyone. GREAT LOCATION!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mwaynecribb
New York
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Just got back from staying at this hotel. Got the room at the last minute called randomly from on our way to DC... The price was good and the front desk manager even helped as we got lost looking for the hotel.. The "free" breakfast is o.k nothing to write home about its the basics. You have to park your car across the street in the Ritz Carlton for $20 per day but can come & go as often as you need to.. The hotel is right near the Metro line so very convenient, within walking distance of the sights so you really do not need the car.. The room was clean we got a small room as it was the last minute is was clean 1 double bed and a sofa bed. The only drawback the room was near the alley way where they put out the trash (at 6:30 AM) and one window actually faced a wall that looked like you were inside a chimney! But overall the 2 nights were good. It was clean and basic...