“Unauthorized use of Credit card! Terrible Service”

Georgetown Inn West End
Ranked #95 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Los Angeles
“Unauthorized use of Credit card! Terrible Service”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I shipped some business documents ahead of my arrival but when I asked for them, they said they never arrived! After I insisted they look again (for the third time) they found my package. But, since I didn't get my package before my business meeting, they were to ship these documents back at their cost. Instead, they took my credit card number (without my authorization) from my room reservation to send the package back. This should be illegal!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank VeniceTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Southwest Missouri
Reviewed August 6, 2009

This is my first entry on tripadvisor. I am taking time to make this entry because I feel so strongly about my experiences at this property. I stayed at this hotel on a business trip; my HR group choose this hotel for me (as is customary in my company) because it was the cheapest in the area where I was assigned. I tried to encourage a booking at any other hotel in the area, based on the large volume of negative reviews I found, but I was not successful. For the week of my stay, there was only $15 per day difference in this property and several other "chain" hotels in the area. Make your choice accordingly. From the beginning: It is difficult to enter the property if you have any sizable luggage. There are several steps, and a small landing to negotiate at the entry, and then more steps inside. (There is a handicap entrance at the side of the building, but it is not readily evident, and is locked to prevent outside entry.) The front desk staff is barely professional. It took three tries to get a room. The first room was a disaster. Not just messy, not just previously inhabited, but with furniture and bedding strewn all about, all the lights on, newpapers everywhere, and there was a desk chair in the bathroom (?). The second try, the key didn't work. The third try got me a room. It was quiet, and the bed was okay. View is of a brick wall. This is a tiny property, so don't expect anything. I didn't sit on the couch - it didn't look comfortable or clean. The room smelled - everything will have to be washed after you leave this hotel, due to the smell. I did not have much luck cooling the room despite two wall mount air conditioners. The air conditioner next to the bed made a high pitched whine when the cooling function cycles, about every 10 minutes. If you can live with that, all night long, then you will be more comfortable than I was. The room does have an under-counter refrigerator, but you can not control the temperature. Don't put anything too perishable in there. I visited the breakfast area the first morning of my stay. All previous reviews are accurate from what I saw. Weak, hotel-style juice dispenser, a small carafe of milk, coffee, a few cereals, and several bread choices that did not look appetizing or fresh. And, on a Monday morning, the bananas were so brown they were candidates for making bread, but not for eating. The CVS around the corner has a decent selection of breakfast foods and I recommend that in the alternative. As for location, there is just no reason to stay at this hotel unless you are working at a near-by office building. It is not close to a Metro station, it is not close to the "Mall" or any historic places you might be visitng. You will start every trip out of the hotel with a 15 minute walk to sites or public transportation. This hotel is so small, cabs don't stop here, or generally cruise this street. You can catch a cab at the nicer hotel up the street. If you are driving, that may be another matter. However, I want to mention that I witnessed a very unpleasant and lengthy exchange betwen a guest and the front desk staff, over parking charges. I obviously don't know the whole story, but the staff did not behave professionally, and apparently a manager was not available to intervene. The staff person told the guest they would be charged for X amount of parking, and the guest would have to contact the manager later, hours later. A word to the wise, make sure you understand the parking charges and conditions before you sign up. As always you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank moroadwarrior
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This was a great hotel for a great price at a great location. The staff was courteous and friendly from the moment we entered. I ordered 2 rooms near each other and they were exactly next to the other. Even though it was 3 hours before check-in we we given one room to keep out luggage in. The front desk gave us directions to a nearby supermarket, landmark restaurant and more. When we finally checked in the room was well air-conditioned, very clean and modern with a small kitchenette PERFECT. The two queen size beds were extremely comfortable. We slept great.
The continental breakfast was fine, just like a Hampton Inn one...It was just whate I expected and was lucky to get it included.
The parking was great with an in-out option for $20 a day.
The hop on bus we used (DOUBLE DECKER BUS CO) stopped in front of the hotel.
The Metro had two different stops a couple of blocks away. We preferred Dupont Circle on the Red Line. Many shops, restaurants and more all nestled in this very safe neighborhood we felt comfortable to be in at night.
Whatever complaints you hear are sour grapes, people wanting freebies. Trust me I live in NYC this is a great place to stay!
Oh yeah...whoever complains about no wi-fi doesn't know how to connect. I got the hotel's connection and at least 15 other non-secured ones. Also there is a free business center on the main floor.

pa
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. My son slept on the sofa sleeper and woke up with at least 30 bed bug bites on his stomach. This was confirmed by our pediatric doctor. The general manager at the hotel had the nerve to question our doctor diagnosis. He was rude and told me he checked the room and there were no bed bugs. My advice would be to have a professional pest control company check the room because my son had so many bites. I'm still waiting for an apology but unfortunately he's never returned my calls.

Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This was a great travelers motel. Standard and Nice! The decor makes you feel as if you are a part of the White House. The Carpets were Blue and Gold and the room had Presidential photos which I loved. We had to share parking with the Ritz Carlton which was great because we knew it would be secure (We parked next to a 85K Bentley). We didnt eat breakfast but the Night Auditor was very friendly. Would recommend this hotel to everyone. GREAT LOCATION!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mwaynecribb
New York
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Just got back from staying at this hotel. Got the room at the last minute called randomly from on our way to DC... The price was good and the front desk manager even helped as we got lost looking for the hotel.. The "free" breakfast is o.k nothing to write home about its the basics. You have to park your car across the street in the Ritz Carlton for $20 per day but can come & go as often as you need to.. The hotel is right near the Metro line so very convenient, within walking distance of the sights so you really do not need the car.. The room was clean we got a small room as it was the last minute is was clean 1 double bed and a sofa bed. The only drawback the room was near the alley way where they put out the trash (at 6:30 AM) and one window actually faced a wall that looked like you were inside a chimney! But overall the 2 nights were good. It was clean and basic...

Hawaii
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Got to the hotel late afternoon and gotta give the manager and the senior front desk man credit. they really seem to know how to make things work. Unfortunately, I got the trainee and the bell guy who seem to forget and finish one task upon being given another. The manager did not mind me parking the car while I load and unload luggage out of the car. I figured out later that you can park temporarily on the side street instead of blocking the driveway. Of course, only one car at a time.
Based on the previous reviews, I made sure I got the parking voucher with in and out privileges. They gave me a map to show where to park. Upon parking the car, I got lost trying to find the hotel. Good thing I had the map. I really hate 45 degree streets!!!!
I did find that there are a lot of eateries around the area and oh... that was the first time a woman who was dressed rich actually ask me if i had change to spare. She did not look homeless either.
Breakfast was okay. The basics. The free USA Today newspaper was a plus. Returned it after reading. For $200 a night for 2 adults 2 seniors and a child, I'd say the $40/person a night was worth the distance and amenities from this hotel. Just stay away from them trainees.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family