“Good food, crazy service”
Review of Sakina Halal Grill

Sakina Halal Grill
Ranked #595 of 3,259 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Manassas, VA
“Good food, crazy service”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

First the restaurant is Kabab not Kabob.

Dropped into Mayur today for their lunch buffet.

When you enter the restaurant there are no 'please wait to be seated' signs but there are waitstaff standing about as if you should wait to be seated. But then you notice there is an actual line area created by the buffet. Some people seem to be paying their checks and leaving others seem to be paying their checks and then picking up a plate for the buffet. Quite confusing. I decided to ask to be seated first, as trying to find a table with a plateful of hot food didn't seem appealing. Glad I chose this option b/c the entire time I ate lunch I watched assorted guests coming off the buffet line with a full plate of food and nowhere to sit.

Not a large variety of entrees on the buffet but what they do have is very good (read: spicy and flavorful). Naan is sent to your table, freshly made and piping hot. Excellent! There is also a menu you can order from if you choose to forgo the buffet (I ordered those infamous honey balls for dessert off the menu- so good).

Lets get back to the service, which leaves a lot to be desired. You have to continually nag the waitstaff to get drink refills. And yet for all their reluctance to swing by and assist with beverages they are quick to take your plate even if you've not finished. I literally filled my lunch plate with entrees, set it down to head back for rice in a bowl to accompany, and when I returned they had taken my plate away! Would you like a lemon in your water? Sorry we don't carry lemons in stock. (what?). Also when the wait staff brought me the traditional black folio after I asked for my check I opened it to discover not my check but a handful of cash. That's pretty disorganized.

Given the service, this is a restaurant you want to pickup takeout from (because the prices are fair and the food really is good- if nothing else the fact that all the nearby office workers who are Indian choose to dine here evidence that) or dine in knowing ahead of time you are coming for the food and not the service. Bring a book to read while you wait for the servers to refill your glass.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank jenniparks76

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My husband wanted Indian food and this was the only place that had an Indian dinner buffet. The price was $8.95 per adult. Our children did not have to pay to eat because of their age. The restaurant itself is quaint but small. We went on a Friday night and it was not packed but a decent amount of people. The buffet had a couple of items but nothing spectacular. We had to request the Naan bread each time we wanted. Drinks are NOT free at ANY Indian buffet which sucks where ever you go considering drinks are FREE at other buffets (Chinese & American) in America. The buffet included 2 meats (chicken) one in a garlic butter sauce, the other was a curry sauce and the chicken was cooked with bone in; sides (white rice, lentils, chickpeas in a spicy sauce, spinach dish) and desert (look the other way) it was balls of dough (I assume) soaked in syrup, meaning they literally sit in syrup until you take them out to eat. I passed on the desert.

In all, I won't go back. For the price of two, it is what you would pay for :(

• Visited November 2011
Tampa FL
“Just what we were in the mood for - cozy and spicy.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were staying at the Embassy Suites on 10th St NW in DC and wanted to have a cozy dinner nearby. The Mayur Kabob house was a block away, which was great because there didn't seem to be any other restaurants nearby and we are big fans of indian food. The place was in an old tudor brownstone and felt cozy when we walked in. The menu was large with lots of veg options. The naan was especially good, and the samosa platter was just spicy enough. Everything had just a little bit of a kick too it - spicy but not overly so. My son got Butter Chicken and he ate every bite and I scooped up the sauce with the leftover naan. The restaurant was warm and cozy on a chilly, rainy night, and the service was good - very friendly. If you like Indian Food, this would be a nice place to get an inexpensive, casual meal.

• Visited October 2011
Metuchen, New Jersey
“okay food”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

if you are staying at a hotel near the convention center, and need a quick fix of average indian food - this would work. Nothing more.

Visited October 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Greatest Cheap Indian food in DC!!!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I am a local and I eat here at least once every couple weeks, and this place used to be a hole in the wall, and it still isn't a 5-star restaurant, but it is filling,tastes incredible, and has the best NAAN in the city bar none!!

• Visited May 2011