“A taste of Lima”

Ranked #424 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Reviewed December 28, 2012

4.5 stars for Peruvian food so good I felt like I was right back in the Miraflores district of Lima (spent a few days there in September). The ceviche mixto (white fish, calamari, and shrimp) was absolutely on point. Exactly how ceviche should taste. Camarones a la limeoa (grilled shrimp with lime and other seasonings) were quite delicious as well. For the main entree I had the Aji de Gallina (chicken stew) and it was exceptionally seasoned and I found myself breaking a piece of bread to clean up every last drop from the bowl. The ensalada mixto was tasty, but nothing to write home about next to the other things we ate. Pisco sours were also reminiscent of Peru, although I noticed the sours they used sprinkled powder on the foam instead of a liquid sour; just the same, the Pisco Sour and the Pisco Sour Royale were quite delicious. Didn't do dessert. Service was quite courteous. The only bad part is parking - my goodness parking is horrible on 18th St NW. We ended up going to the closest lot and paid $18 for a little over 2 hours!!!! Aaarrgh!!! Thankfully the restaurant was reasonably priced ($55 for 2 appetizers and 2 entrees, plus $30 for 3 drinks) but the parking situation is just horrific. That street alone makes the metro worth it.

There are newer reviews for Las Canteras

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have lived in DC for 11 years now and Las Canteras is still my favorite...probably because it is not a super well known place and it is not overpriced for the quality of food you get. There are plenty of good restaurants in DC but most of them are overpriced for what you get - Las Canteras is an exception. Its in Adams Morgan which most people just associate with bars and drinking but it is so much more before midnight :-) It is a fun area for a few drinks and some good food but not many tourist make it all the way to this area since there is no metro right there - it requires a 10 minute walk or figuring out the buses (bus 42 is super useful by the way). Service is not the fastest but very nice and if they are extra slow just ask for more bread, which also happens to be excellent. Dont go here if you are on a diet...would be a waste of excellent food.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited the lower level bar and it was very good. We had appetizers and drinks and the attention we received, was excellent.
If we had been hungrier we would have tried the restaurant upstairs. It really looked like a great place to try.
Very nice atmosphere.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Doesnt look like much from the outside, but the food inside is well above your average Peruvian restaurant. The menu is filled with terrific seafood, meat, and a few vegetarian dishes. Salads and vegetables tasted fresh. My sea bass was outstanding. The taste is rich with enough Latin heat to make it right. Add some spicy salsa verde to pump it up a little hotter.

1  Thank Rickf902
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Eating here is like eating in Zorro's estancia. The cod with tomato sauce is so good I get it every time. Go with a Peruvian to know what to order.