“Great fresh fish”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great fresh fish”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The menu of fresh fish is a delight. Especially good is the fish stew and the daily pasta . The restaurant is fairly accommodating at honoring requests , so if there is a piece of fish at the market up front, you may ask to have that prepared for your meal. The brunch is really delicious , with interesting versions of eggs Benedict and amazing herb biscuits with gravy. Unfortunately , the service is far below the quality of the food and can be slow and inattentive

Visited March 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fishing at BlackSalt”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Excellent super fresh seafood cooked perfectly every time. BS is very close to my house so we pop in for lunch at the bar which is dicey as it is packed all the time and you need a reservation. Had anniversary dinner there too and brought out if town friends who are Mainers and lobster experts. Always love it. Great cocktail selection great chef and staff. Open kitchen. Favorite fish tacos at the bar. Favorite salmon at dinner.

Visited December 2013
Middletown, md
“Good Food, Spotty Service”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was our second trip to BlackSalt for lunch. Our visit was on a Saturday, early afternoon. Be prepared: there is a fish market at the entrance of the restaurant and the smell carries!

The food was very good. I had the best seafood stew that I ever had. My daughter's pasta special was bland to tasteless, my wife enjoyed her crab cakes, and my older daughter thought the cheeseburger perfectly done. We enjoyed our appetizers: calamari, seasonal salad, and sardines. One note: the sardines are rather large and require lots of work to get through the bones (which are also rather large).

The lunch took 90 minutes. The restaurant was not crowded. We were ignored. Not sure if they were understaffed, but it appeared that other tables had similar problems. I was particularly annoyed that they managed to get my check wrong between the time it was given to me and when it was returned after the credit card had been processed. Not even an apology. It took approximately 15 minutes to get out of the restaurant from the time I asked for the check until I could pay the correct check. Tip reflected my feeling about the service.

We may go back, but not if we are in a hurry.

1 Thank Vulturecap
Washington DC
“A good quality neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I have had the pleasure of enjoying a few lunches at this restaurant over the past few months. The food is always good, well described and we'll presented.The service is comparable. The menu is limited, but for lunch it has proven to be adequate. Having said that, this is by no way a 5 star restaurant and it puzzles me how previous reviewers are so quick with their star ratings. Marcel's in DC and the Inn at Little Washington are worthy of 5 star, which resulted in me providing this restaurant with a 3 star rating. I would struggle to believe that the dinner service would be that much different.

1 Thank immigration
College Station, Texas
“Business Dinner”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Was in DC for a conference and I'm usually tasked with picking the restaurant for small group dinner. Folks have come to rely on me for picking "the" restaurant for dinner. While at first this was fun, now its a bit stressful. Well thanks to BlackSalt's amazing food, service and atmosphere, we were not disappointed. I had the Grilled Prawns. To begin, the presentation was superb and a visual delight. Each dish looked like a work of art. The prawns were carefully grilled to prevent the chewy rubbery sensation that is so often the case. Combined with the roasted cauliflower florets, the taste was right on target . My colleagues, in turn, loved their fish dishes. The wait staff were impeccable in their attention and willingness to substitute or modify a dish in any way. Two of us had deserts, and they were a perfect end to the evening. In fact, the sorbet was probably the best I've ever had anywhere. Highly recommend this place.

1 Thank Jorge G