“Awesome experience!”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Again...I read the reviewes on Trip Advisor before we left and I saw that some peole wrote the portions were too small. I am not sure if we went to the same restaurant as the portions for this excellent restaurant were just right for one to enjoy an excellent and well flavored meal. The starters were huge compared to our city of Toronto and they were excellent. I would recommend the Tuna tartare, the Ipswich clams and the beet salad. We were a family of four and even my children enjoyed it...a lot. Yes there were not that many kids there, the place was decked out and the people looked great, but my kids love good food so they came with us. For mains we had two whole fish, one filet the other whole - on the grill. We also had the scallop appy but dinner sized for one child and one order of the black bass entrée. Not one morsel wasn't cooked right...great job chefs! Then we shared two desserts...the Banana Coconut Cream pie....WOW!!!! It was outstanding. I would go back just for this dessert. Fresh bananas layerd in with the cream pie itself and coconut. It was an explosion of flavours. We also had the Chocolate Chambord Truffle Cake. Need I say more! One thing my spouse and I really liked about BlackSalt was the variety of good half bottle wines. We had a bottle of Montrachet and a bottle of Ken Wrigth Pinot Noir. We always like a good Montrachet with seafood and the Ken Wright was new to us and came recommended from the sommelier, so we tried it. Great choice.....Thank you. Would we go back...most definitely! Is it expensive...as I have said and will continue to say, "you get what you pay for". Well done team. Great food, Great atmosphere and excellent service all around...with plenty of smiles.

2 Thank SavvyTraveler738

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Consistently good attention to detail”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Family lunch on New Years Day was enjoyed by all six diners. I enjoyed my very reasonable fixed price lunch $25 for 3 courses and a drink (spicy tortilla soup with pork, tuna sandwich and raspberry creme brûlée (see photo) with a double IPA to wash it down). Others enjoyed a huge seafood stew, cheese burgers with kitchen fried chips, skate with lentils, red cabbage and apple. We also splurged on a platter of oysters - 4 types 2 from british columbia, washington state and wellfleets that were all topnotch. As the title indicates every dish was well prepared with consistently good attention to detail in food preparation and presentation (admittedly the restaurant was not full and we might have got especially good service because of this)

Not my first visit to Blacksalt, and I would also recommend the brunch at the weekends. Evening dining is more pricey, but worth the trip if good fish well prepared is your style. Call to make reservations for groups above 5 people as open table shows no availability for large groups.

• Visited January 2014
Hyattsville, Maryland
“Had the best fish dish of my life here”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

One of the many Christmas Parties I attend this years was held here. I have always wanted to try Black Salt but due to its location and distance from my home it just never happened until 12/20. The fish market is located in the front of the store and next to a good sized bar. My company had reserved a table in the back of the restaurant which is separate from the other dining sections. I order a half dozen Hog Island, CA Oyster for an appetizer they were okay nothing spectacular. The entree I order was Onaga Snapper the skin was super crispy and the meat was flavorful it was out of this world good. Dessert I had Chocolate Chambord Truffle Cake with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. The food was great and the service was awesome. Great restaurant a little on the pricey side but given its location that is expected

2 Thank Ant1007
London, United Kingdom
“Adequate Lunch”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I went there for a business lunch. The cutlery was not clean. The service was not brilliant. The seafood was good and my main course was Mahi Mahi which was not on the menu but which was taken from the fresh fish stall at the entrance. The tables were close together and one cannot help overhearing the conversations at the other tables. This restaurant was very busy for a Monday lunchtime and is clearly popular locally.

2 Thank Richard b
East Hampton, New York
“Pulsing with energy on a Monday night”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Great ambiance , Incredible seafood superior to most restaurants on either coast. They will offer you unique presentations or prepare your fish to your specifications. Be prepared to wait 15 minutes for a taxi if you don 't drive here as it is off the beaten track but it is well worth it. Reservations well in advance needed.

2 Thank Georgica14