“Outstanding meal and reasonably priced”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I took my wife for her birthday dinner with friends. We were very impressed. We had a comfy booth and the room was relaxing and not noisy. The service was initially slow getting going but was good after that. We were not rushed or hassled by people attempting to clear plates while people were still eating. The wine list was lovely and we had a great Chardonnay and dessert wine. We noticed a number of New Zealand wines which was nice for us NZers! The fish were all perfectly cooked - the halibut I had was meaty with nice lemon sauce. They were flexible to requests to change things. Portions are large so maybe sharing a first course is a good idea if you want dessert or cheese. I really liked this place - quality food wine and service without a crazy price tag. They gave us a ride home in their car for 20$.

There are newer reviews for BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the food was delicious! They took a while to take our main course orders and therefore it took a bit longer than we would have liked to get our meals. The portions were small-averge size but a appetizer or desert would probably be needed to fill you up! I found it slightly over priced but it's a perfect place for a birthday or other special event.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Dinner started well with oysters and starters. Service attentive if a little slow. The fish selection was very good but marred by bad execution. My fish was cold and had clearly sat on the pass far too long. I would note that when the waitstaff passed by with the "How is everything?" question I told them the fish was cold and it was taken away immediately and reheated. No arguments not questions. So that was good. But because we are talking about almost 100 bucks a head (incl a glass of wine) I must say this gets an "average". In that price point everything needs to be correct - no slip ups allowed. I will not be back.

2  Thank stumack
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went to BlackSalt once again last evening and it was as good as ever. The place located is in an unassuming block in McArthur Blvd. in NW, Washington, DC, away from the downtown hustle and bustle and still it is always packed and the food and service are always great. It is not a very glitzy place and when you sit in the mail dining room you can see the kitchen through glass partitions and it looks like a very busy beehive. The restaurant is at the back of a very upscale seafood market in the front. The minute you walk in you can tell that the fish is fresh because of the odor and it is intoxicatingly wonderful. We sat in the main dining room and ordered drinks which were just perfect. Couple of us had straight up martinis (one vodka, one gin), they were served in chilled martini glasses and the cocktails came in individual chilled shakers. The server shakes the shaker and pours into a chilled glass and they tasted wonderful . The third person dining with me ordered a scotch and soda and it came in a nice glass with lots of ice and enough scotch to feel it.
We ordered clams and fresh oysters to have with the drinks and then they brought a beautiful basket of assorted hot breads with a heavenly olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a touch of garlic sauce to dip the warm bread in it.
We did have a second round of drinks and they came equally as well as the first round.
They had soft shell crabs as one of the specials and they offered them to us cooked in two different ways, deep fried or sauté. One of us opted for the fried version of the soft shell crabs and I opted for the sautéed one. My friend said he would take them the way the chef was preparing them and I said that I would like my soft shell crabs sautéed but with lot of garlic and light tomatoes, the server obliged and then asked if I wanted anything special as a side or if I wanted the chef to choose. I opted for the chef's choices, and the server asked me it I was allergic to anything and I said, fortunately no. The third friend order the famous BlackSalt bouillabaisse which was over the top as usual.
We had three different desserts, banana coconut cream pie, chocolate mocha cake and a sampling of crème broulee all ample sizes and all extremely good. When we left about 10:00 PM, the place was still jumping with people enjoying one of the best seafood in DC.

1  Thank IDC637
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The best restaurant we ate in and we are still talking about it now. Service was excellent don't be put off by the fact that it is in the suburbs it is so worth a visit as we have never eaten fish like this. I had black bass in a broth which was fantastic but my husbands starter of butter fish was to die for and his halibut was divine. Desserts are really good too I do really do chocolate but the mouse cake was worth it. Service very good and they will even take you back in one of their cars. GO you will not be disappointed. The only problem will be that no other fish restaurant will ever come up to expectations again!