“Excellent tasting menu”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 3,259 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Arlington
“Excellent tasting menu”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had the pricey ($94) tasting menu that included five fish courses (cold tuna belly, tilefish, halibut, salmon, and rockfish with pork belly) as well as a lavish dessert that included custard, cheesecake, and molten chocolate. Each fish course was perfectly cooked and had an exciting sauce and interesting accompaniments. The lemony sauce with the halibut was the group’s favorite; the jalapeno-laced sauce with the rockfish was too spicy for the ladies. The breads were so good that we asked for another set despite the large amount of food.

Service was excellent. The waiter was attentive, and he had two assistants who brought the courses so all of us were served simultaneously. When he noted that the ladies weren’t enjoying the rockfish, he offered to bring a substitute.

The wine list was very extensive, although I was a little disappointed by the 1er Chablis we had.

The ambience was not perfect. The bare-topped tables are close together and the room was loud. The seats were adequate at first, but seemed hard after 2 ½ hours.

Palatine, IL
“Amazing food with service that goes above and beyond!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a good seafood restaurant and Black Salt popped to the top. My friend and I ordered the 5 course chef's tasting menu, and foolishly ordered apps too. I had the clam chowder, which was unique and delicious - lots of leeks with a slightly sweet flavor topped with giant friend clams. I say it was foolish because the tasting menu was more than enough. Everything we had was great, but the strip steak with braised veal and gnocchi was a stand out. And the dessert...oh the dessert. It was a trio with a goat cheesecake that was light and tasty and a chocolate truffle cake that was epic! As I mentioned the service when we were being served was meticulous and not annoying. They called us a cab and it didn't come, so the manager drove another patron, my friend and myself to Georgetown where we could easily get a cab.

San Francisco, California
“Unbelievably great seafood!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Staying near Foggy Bottom, I ventured out on a Sunday night to Black Salt as a single guest because I was craving soft-shelled crab. They sat me in the "wine room" which was quieter than the front dining area, and the service was perfection. Tried 3 local types of oysters on the half-shell which were crisp, fresh and delicious.

Although they were out of soft-shell crab, the waiter suggested the crab cake. What a delight! Full of crab, not filler, and underneath it a mound of asian mushroom/noodle concoction that was amazing. I had a half-portion of the halibut, and it was cooked to perfection.

Since the restaurant is not in the middle of town, the hostess called a cab for me, but it never came. So the restaurant manager, without me saying a word, gave me and another couple a ride into Georgetown out of the goodness of his heart! He told us Black Salt now has its own car service (a Mercedes no less), but Sunday is the driver's only day off. From Georgetown, I walked back to my local hotel and the couple grabbed a cab.

Everyone should try Black Salt! A real find and a real treasure. Next time I'm in town, I'm headed back!

Washington, DC
“RUN, don't walk, for the Tasting menu!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

OMGosh, I've been a regular at Addie's and Black Market, sister restaurants of Black Salt. Somehow, we just never got here...SHAME on us. The husband and I have eaten all over the world, and last night might have been a meal in the top 5 of our 30 years of marriage. We were seated in the back room, which - as has been said before - is much quieter than the front dining room or the bar area. We were happy has we settled in for hopefully a long dining experience. The menu was full of interesting and tempting items - but we both eyed the chef's tasting menu - either five or seven courses. We went with the five. Our only request was to do all fish (no meat - and why would one want that at a fish market?). We chose to not do a wine pairing, since the Hub had his eye on a particular pinot noir. Our knowledgeable waiter , Abdul who was fantastic, had gone through the menu and was delighted to take our tasting menu orders. He just disappeared! But nicely. Because the chef was going to do his thing for us and that was that! Abdul did return to suggest that while the pinot noir was breathing, he would recommend a small glass of sauvignon blanc to accompany our first course of razor clams and a few bites of salmon sashimi on some pickled veggies. The 3-ounce pour was perfect for each of us, and the charge for the two glasses was about $12, a bargain because the wine paired perfectly with that course.

After the gratis amuse bouche of mussel and caviar and the first course, we were launched into an amazing parade of specials found nowhere on the menu. Second course was grilled sardines - the best I've had since Greece. Then came a Maryland soft-shell crab, flash-fried over a bed of ramp and sweet corn --absolutely to die for. The final entree was a gorgeous piece of crisped-skin white king salmon from the Columbia River. The freshness of the fish was amazing, and we are sushi afficionadoes in Japan. Service was extremely attentive without being unctuous or pretentious. Our conversation was private and uninterrupted and yet water glasses were filled when necessary and food presented and described graciously. Unbelievably fabulous. And dessert was a killer. We EACH received a platter of three sweets: a mini slice of key lime tart and berry coulis, a pot de creme of butterscotch yummieness, and a square of home-made marshmallow chocolate fluff with a large slab of toffee. We should have sent one plate back as there was more than enough sweet for two. We had to thank personally the chef - who graciously came out to meet us.

For the amount of extremely creative food served and the impeccable service led by the suave Abdul, we left Black Salt more than satisfied. While we were there for a celebration and thus dressed accordingly as were most people in the back dining room, the folks in the bar were in shorts and t-shirts...obviously a neighborhood joint! We can't wait to come back for a more casual dining experience, though I may have to go for the tasting menu again...out of this world!

1 Thank MMA888
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great concept, but sadly, a disappointment”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This seafood restaurant has a great (pricey) selection of fish and shellfish as they have a nice fish market in the front of the house. Along with other pricey menu items, patrons can choose from a variety of fish and shell fish options from the market and the the kitchen will cook and serve it at your table. I picked out a couple of items from the market but was disappointed in the dish as it was barely warm on the outside, cold on the inside, and somewhat flavorless. The side dish was no more than a teaspoon full. It looked old so I didn't eat it. I couldn't order another side, or have the fish cooked a little more because our waiter was not available, even though the restaurant was almost empty. The service was extremely slow and poor. I don't mind paying for good ingredients but I do when they are poorly prepared and the the service is substandard.

• Visited May 2013