“comfortable for foodies”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Proof

Proof
Reserve with OpenTable
Proof is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 3,199 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 8th and G
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro
Washington DC
“comfortable for foodies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Proof is a cool spot that hits the sweet spot between fabulous food and warm service. The quinoa salad is the best i ever had. But all in our party liked each different salad. Halibut a great choice in the fish line. My husband liked the hangar steak- actually truly properly med rare. Joseph, the sommelier, is fun and knowledgable about small, fresh wine selections. Made the evening fun. Don't forget to try the warm sticky toffee pudding. excellent. Even the manager stopped by to say hello. And I've now experienced 3 waiters- all of whom hustled, yet were remarkable attentive. Our new favorite before theater, although it's a shame to cut the night short- make the restaurant your entertainment. Fun crowd. Plus- they take reservations, and check ahead. That's important to us.

Portland, Oregon
“Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Was here for a business event, and all the food and wines were picked for us ahead of time, but everything we had was great. I tried a couple of varieties of wines I'd never heard of prior to visiting there. Lovely time, good food, friendly staff.

• Visited April 2014
Washington DC
“Decent Restaurant Near Verizon Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I had the tasting menu here and it was ok. The portions were large for a tasting menu. I like the atmosphere. Nice bar and outside. Great place to eat before a concert at Verizon.

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Proof is one of those places that you don't want to tell others about because you want to keep the secret to yourself. Well, I visited again recently and feel that they deserve my praise. I will keep going back even if I have to make reservations ahead of time. Drinks and selection are fantastic, service is very good, with top notch sommeliers and servers, Food is great and just melts in your mouth. Fair pricing. Just a great place!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very poor service - will not go back again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had a group of 13 booked well in advance - Monday might totally empty at 5:30 pm. They put us at two separate tables far away from each other. After a few polite requests to have tables next to each other - the hostess and waiter were hostile and rude. We spent a lot of money, tipped extremely well and will never return. Bad business decision not to come up with a solution to our two table far away - this as supposed to be a team holding event - the owner would have been very upset with the rude staff had he or she been there that night. On the way out I got my own taxi while 6 "workers" hid under umbrellas - they were dry and I was a bit wet due to a little rain. Unacceptable. So many good choices in dc I have no reason to ever return and we do lots of business dinners and lunches and events in DC.

1 Thank Fair appraiser