I stayed here on business. I used to live in Cleveland Park (which is a mile north of this hotel), but recently moved to Maryland and needed a cheap place to stay two nights for work. Aspects of this hotel ranged from terrible to decent, so in no particular order:
1) Location = Woodley Park is an excellent area. It's clean and safe. The hotel is about 0.7 miles north of Dupont. The walk downhill is super easy and fast. It puts you right at the Metro (red line), wonderful restaurants, and a flurry of DC hot-spots. Parking is a bear, though. There's only street parking, and the times are restricted. My advice is to take a cab from the Woodley Park or Dupont metros. Walk down the hill on Connecticut Ave to the Hilton on the left for the easiest place to find a cab.
2) The Smell = in a word, bad. The hotel reaked of stale cigarettes. But I'm also pregnant, so I have a keen sense of smell. Regardless, it was gross.
3) The Staff = very friendly and helpful. They do the best they can with the very limited space and resources they have.
4) The Room = ugh. Where to start. For $168 per night, we were upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor, which was huge. But, it was very old, dated, and uncomfortable. The living room had one sofa chair that fit one person, a tiny flatscreen tv, a trundle bed, and an old desk with wooden chair. My husband and I ended up watching tv from the bed, which was so far away we could hardly see the screen. Sadly, we also ended up sleeping on the daybed...it seemed much cleaner than the queen in the bedroom. Although the walls were paper-thin and the curtains were gossamer (blocking out zero sunlight), I actually slept pretty well.
5) Temperature = As other reviewers mentioned, the temperature controls are a total mess. I was a little cold the first evening (a cool spring night), so I put on the heat. Cold air blasted from the vents, and I gave up. There was a thermostat that is probably as old as the hotel. If this stay had been during the winter or summer, I probably would have checked out immediately.
6) Bathrooms = For me, the bathroom can make or break a hotel. This place got 2 stars because it was very clean, comfortable, and had a decent shower. The water was hot, pressure was good, and the showerhead was new. Maybe I have low standards, but it greatly improved my stay.
7) Incidentals = Free internet is a nice perk (both in the business center and in the rooms). Free breakfast is also nice, but it's a grab-and-go type deal. My husband said the muffins and croissants were good as a quick start to the day. Nothing to write home about, and very little space in the kitchen to eat them.
All in all, I would not recommend this hotel. But, it's very cheap compared to area hotels, and if one is willing to look past the old, outdated feel, it's a fairly comfortable place for a day or two. I did get home and remark that my house is exponentially cleaner than this hotel....which is pretty sad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windsor Park Hotel offers 43 guestrooms in a variety of configurations. Built in 1926, this charming hotel has been restored and updated to provide everything expected by those traveling for business or pleasure. All bathrooms have been recently renovated (2009) and there is free wireless internet throughout the hotel. Two computer stations are also available for our guests use and our free Continental Breakfast saves the time and expense of finding a restaurant in the morning.Windsor Park Hotel is in a charming, quiet, safe neighborhood with over 100 establishments offering shopping, art, entertainment and cuisine from around the world. Embassies, majestic homes parks and tree-lined streets are a pleasure to see throughout the year. Guests can walk to Rock Creek Park, DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, the National Zoo and many other points of interest. There are three major convention hotels within a short walk and two metro stations -Woodley Park-Zoo and DuPont Circle- are within a few short blocks enabling our guests to reach all the wonderful sites in our Nation’s Capital. The friendly personalized service of this small hotel makes all our guests feel right at home. This is where yesterdays charm is today’s treasure.Hotel and Room Amenities24-Hour Front Desk AC/HEAT w Individual Comfort Control ElevatorBusiness Services Free Local Calls Voice MailVending/Ice Machines Iron/Board RefrigeratorSafe Deposit at Front Hair Drier in bathrooms Map/Tour InfoRollaway/Cribs available Comcast Digital TV w over 100 Channels We have only street parking but there are two large garages within a few blocks.We are a “Smoke Free Property” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Windsor Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windsor Park Washington Dc
- Hotel Windsor Park
- Windsor Park Hotel Washington Dc