“Quiet, safe area, great service.”
Review of Adam's Inn

Adam's Inn
Ranked #7 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Average B&B in that it is an older home, so not spit shined new, but very comfortable, clean, and charming. Staff very helpful, warm, and professional. We were in room 201, shared bath as private was not available. Shared was no hassle. Room and bathroom were very spacious. Room 201 has one double and two singles, plenty of space for beds, dresser, desk, a couple of chairs, sink, closet and still ample floor space to move around with ease for 4 adult guests. Window air conditioner very loud, but we considered it white noise to drown sounds from guests above. Pretty uninspired continental breakfast (bagels, toast, cold cereal, apples, granola bars, English muffins, Yoplait yogurt cups, OJ, milk, coffee), same both days we were there. I would prefer earlier coffee than the 8-10 that breakfast is served but there are coffee shops within a couple of blocks if needed before 8 am.
I cannot speak to public transportation as we had a car. Close walk to National Zoo, Rock Creek Park, Mount Pleasant, Adams Morgan; longer walk but manageable to Dupont Circle. We drove into capitol, about 10 min. drive. We had a visitor's permit for street parking as we have family that lives in the neighborhood and they applied for us at the police department. Without it we would have been in a jam as street parking is limited to two hours. Adams Inn only has 4 garage spaces, so book early and request a garage. $20 per night is very reasonable.
Wonderful, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: In summer I would guess lower floor is cooler as AC is window type. Temp was mild when we were there...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The room was large but was extremely outdated. No telly to fill the silence. My only entertainment came from the epic battle between the chair and wallpaper as they clashed so badly. I think that was the wallpaper that won the battle with Oscar Wilde. I cannot comment on the cuisine since breakfast was served when I was already gone. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank DAKAG10801
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just did an over night at the Adams Inn, and we had quite a time finding it. It is nestled in among the other buildings, and can easily be missed. The building is wonderfully maintained, and the rooms are gorgeous. The shower was interesting, because it was quite short, but it was easy to make due with. There was not much parking, but there is a garage close by that they can direct you to. They were nice enough to give us a place to lock our bikes up behind the building in the garden area, which doubles as a nature conservatory. The area of the city is very nice, and is more of a hipster type of area. The breakfast was nothing exciting, but it was adequate. Even though we checked out the next morning, they were nice enough to hold our bags until 6pm the next night when we took the long drive home. It had a taste of home, and that is what makes the Inn so wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I love Adam's Inn. It's the kind of place that lets you come and go as you please, but has a warm communal feel. It is on a quiet street in Adam's Morgan, a great neighborhood full of restaurants. The inn has a small kitchen to store your food or drinks, a communal sitting and TV area, and plenty of comfy sofas and chairs for reading. In the morning, you can read the NY Times or Washington Post while you have their excellent breakfast. There is a computer in an alcove for emails. There are rooms with private baths, but don't be afraid of the shared bathrooms: they are perfectly neat and clean, and I have never had to wait for one. The bedrooms and the hotel overall are always cozy and clean and make me feel at home. Every time I travel to Washington for work, Adam's Inn is my first stop.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Honestly, I felt like I was back in my old dorm room. If you aren't charmed by old buildings, look elsewhere. If you're up for the quirks that come with an older building though, this is a great find. Simple, clean rooms, and the staff was super-helpful, with fantastic restaurant recommendations. Convenient to Adams Morgan, the zoo, there's parking if you ask for it...really a great bargain and a charming place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The best thing I can say about Adams Inn is that the room was clean, nothing fancy, but clean.
One of the problems I had with this establishment is that no one answered the phone on 3 different occasions. If they are not going to have someone answer the phone they should at least have someone check the messages. It took 2 days of trying to get someone on the phone just to book a reservation.
But the end all was when I called 2 times for directions because we were lost never to get a person on the phone. Finally with the help of a friend I got a return call. When trying to get directions I was bluntly told, “If you think I am going to give you turn by turn directions you are wrong!” How’s that for Customer Service! No - Holly is wrong to think I will stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

A major part of hospitality is not just the place itself but how you are treated and in this regard Adam's inn came through big time. The management not only honored an expired groupon for its full promotional value, not just its monetary value, but were courteous and professional throughout. From booking the room to check out I could not have been happier with the communication.

Now on to the inn itself. First the positives. The house is nice, clean and well taken care of. Despite the visage of quaintness it still has all of the amenities that, for better or worse, are necessities of today's life, including a computer, wifi and air conditioning. Breakfasts is no drills but good and the constant supply of coffee, tea, granola bars and york peppermint patties is a nice touch. Being in adams Morgan, next to a good chunk of dc's nightlife is also a plus.

Now the negatives. The house is old and feels it. The rooms, while clean and comfortable, feel somewhat outdated and, because of that, not as cozy or inviting as they could be.

All in all, this is a nice b&b for people looking to spend a few nights in dc but want to stay away from big hotels. I would not recommend it as my first choice but I would certainly not steer anyone away from it either.

• Stayed: July 2012