“perfect location”
Review of Adam's Inn

Adam's Inn
Ranked #8 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here so we could attend a cooking class at the very nearby Mexican Cultural Institute. Perfect location for a fun foodie weekend. 18th Street, a 2 minute walk, has restaurants from all over the globe. Really loved being able to park the car (an extra $20/night) and forget about it for a few days. Huge fan of the Capital Bikeshare system, which also has 3 stations within an easy walk of the inn, it's only a 15-20 minute ride to Georgetown from Adams Morgan.

We stayed in the basement room with a private entrance and would absolutely do so again in a heartbeat. The room stayed cool being a half-buried English basement, and a small fan in the closet provided plenty of white noise to make sleep easy for us quiet small towners. Bed was a little on the stiff side, which I loved. Unfortunately, my wife is now used to about three feet of memory foam, so she was not as comfortable. The squeaky headboard was easily remedied by wedging a small pillow from the sofa into the frame.

Breakfast was a basic serve yourself affair, it'll fill you up but nothing particularly exciting. Don't expect vegetables in any form or eggs. It's all bagels, cereal and the like. Toasters are available, but nothing fresh made like pancakes, waffles or fruit salad. We expected this and kept a cooler in the room full of salad for the duration. Their small icemaker was adequate for the job after an initial bag of ice from a nearby 7 Eleven was dumped in.

Room Tip: Basement rooms have a private entrance
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul S

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We took our grandkids to DC for a week and this was a perfect place for them. There were other children their age and a great back yard to play in. It was clean and located close to buses. The only negative was the third floor- but by weeks end I was in great shape lol. Would recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank unikat4
Reviewed March 14, 2012

For the price and location you can not beat the Adams Inn. You may have to go without a TV in your room or tiny soaps by the bathroom sink, but the Adams is clean, cozy, warm and within walking distance to just about anything you would want in DC, restaurants, nightlight and metro/bus. You can't beat the neighborhood although make sure to reserve parking if you arrive by car.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a bathroom if you want one, not all of the rooms come with them.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed at the Adam's Inn in August 2011 and really enjoyed our stay. We are a family of 6 (4 kids from 3 to 9 at that time) and this was our first trip to DC. The Inn is very nice and we enjoyed the breakfast and our kids really liked the board game that were available. They played the DC Monopoly with other children and liked it so much we had to find one when we got home. We shared 2 rooms (always a problem with a big family) and both were very nice. The airco in the windows was a little too noisy, but fortunately, the room also had a ceiling fan.
I'd come back anytime and would really recommend this place to anyone traveling on a budget and looking for the charm of a little hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 41Peterpan41
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last weekend, I had purchased a groupon which was what led us to the hotel. I thought the overall conditions were relatively good. The rooms were clean, no extra ammenities though, we did not have any toiletries or a TV in the room. We also found our window to be cracked, leaving the room very cold.

The location was great, about a 10 minute walk to the subway, less than 5 minutes to 18th street where there were lots of dining and bar optoins. The neighborhood was beautiful.

Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular but it wasn't horrible. The staff didn't seem to be present. We got into town around 7 on a Friday night and were tossed a 'late check in' packet while the woman rushed out the door. We were unsure of parking, etc. We also didn't see anyone when we left on Sunday, just leaving our keys in the drop box. This was fine since we didn't need anything during our stay, but I'm not sure if there was a staff member on call should something be needed.

Overall, pretty good stay. I'd probably stay again depending on the standard rates, not sure what they are since we had the groupon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

On my first trip to DC this past Sunday to Tuesday, my friend and I took advantage of a discounted voucher to stay at Adam's Inn. The inn is situated in a quaint, residential tree-lined neighborhood near a commercial strip replete with great restaurants, cafes and bars. A bit of a walk to the metro but still worth it to stay in such a cute neighborhood (a $15 short cab ride will get you to the National Mall. Cabs are easy to hail in the area). The inn consists of three cute homes that are located side by side, in appearance it's an inn but very little felt homey about our stay. The breakfast served is continental-no eggs, pancakes, waffles, bacon. Have never stayed in a "b&b" that provides a self-serve, continental breakfast-big disappointment. The room we were in was nothing to rave about-decent but not B&B style cute (although the furniture was vintage and attractive the decor as a whole lacked a signature touch). Aside from bars of soaps, no other toiletries were provided- no shampoo or conditioner. When I walked in one of the first things I noticed was a handwritten sign taped to the wall asking that we not turn on the AC-tacky (it doesn't take that much effort to print a sign, I mean really, come on). The Inn common area is cozy, smartly decorated and snacks, water and coffee/tea are available at all times. Now I have to get to the last and worse part of our stay-the staff or at least the first staff member who greeted us (or rejected us)-by far the rudest, oddest hotel staff person I have ever experienced. When we walked in, she matter of fact-ly said, "so what's up" to my friend in a so what are you doing here kind of tone and stared at him blankly. Duh, we were there to check in. Because it was 1pm she wouldn't check us in early, we didn't make a big deal about it-just left our bags in the bag area. She was short and dismissive with my friend explaining that she had laundry to do but when we left we saw her in the office area. Before we stepped out to sight see, my friend asked her suggestion about seeing the Holocaust memorial museum. She explained to him that her daughter had spent 3 hours but that it is easy to spend hours there, according to him (I was in the bathroom when this occurred) he gasped at the suggestion of spending 7-8 hours in a museum. To this she condescendingly responded, "well if you were a Jewish mother from Brooklyn whose family died in the Holocaust, you could spend 4 days there". Who says that! When I came out of the bathroom, I asked her a question about the subway, she sounded confused so I corrected myself and called it the metro. She said she didn't know what that was, I explained to her how I got to the inn from the Amtrak station, by taking a train, but she played dumb. She said that the metro did not exist in D.C-um okay, what ever. I dropped that subject and asked for some recommendations to go sight seeing (obviously in The National Mall area) -of course she was not helpful-what's new-and did not make an effort to look at the map with me. She offhandedly suggested we walk to the 18th street commercial strip before she walked off. (Either management needs to fire that woman or get her some professional help). That was my experience with the customer service that Adam's Inn as to offer.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Diana t
AdamsInn, General Manager at Adam's Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are constantly working to improve all aspects of our services and the amenities that we offer. We will take your comments into consideration. Lindsey Wheatley, General Manager, Adam's Inn

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I took my fiance to Adam's Inn and was very pleased with the relaxing environment of the neighborhood and cozy feel of the room and sitting areas. We attended the inn in mid-January, which I guess is the off season but it was still nice to relax and visit local shops and restaurants in the Adams Morgan area.

I was so grateful for the hospitality at the Inn after I forgot some items in my room upon check-out. The staff was so helpful and even mailed me my things!

Free internet, clean rooms, lovely location (close to the National Zoo, Queen's Hookah, and a plethora of restaurants and shops), and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple