“Fresh and Tasty”
Review of W Domku Bar & Cafe - CLOSED

W Domku Bar & Cafe
Cuisines: Polish, Swedish, European, Scandinavian, Norwegian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Newark, DE
“Fresh and Tasty”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Domku is a great place for brunch. The room is cheerful and bright, and although it was packed when we arrived, it was quiet enough for conversation. The menu is quirky but it offered enough choices to suit all of us, including the gluten-free and vegan members of the family.
It took a while for the food to come, which was fine with us, since we wanted to relax and chat. Some very delicious doughnut balls and a salad helped take the edge off while we waited. The servings were small but appropriately priced.
When our main dishes arrived they were hot off the stove, not damp and greasy the way food gets when it's been sitting under a heat lamp. It was definitely worth the wait. My pytti panna was a delicious nest of crispy potatoes and carrots topped with bits of salmon and a perfectly poached egg. But husband had a bowl of creamy grits topped with perfectly-toasted cheese. Clearly, the kitchen values execution over speed, so Domku may not be the best choice if you're in a hurry. But it's the perfect palace to linger on a Sunday morning (and maybe a little into the afternoon).

• Visited February 2013

USA
“Lovely brunch spot, interesting menu”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I don't have a lot of experience with Scandinavian food, but the menu choices seemed interesting and eclectic. I had a great fresh salad with fresh anchovies. The portion was a little small for the price point, but it was delicious. And my friend had a very lovely sandwich which he enjoyed thoroughly. The coffee was not very good, it reminded me of American diner coffee -- very weak. The service however was excellent and it was bright and airy inside. Overall, a good experience for something out of the norm in DC.

• Visited March 2013
Washington DC
“Long lost Greatness”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I went to Domku a few times after it first opened and always liked it. For some reason I hadn't been back in years. I've really been missing out. We went the last night of their small plates menu (thankfully that trend it dying out) before they switched over to normal plates. Anyway, the food was just fantastic. Everything was delicious and of a good variety. I'll be going back soon for sure.

• Visited October 2012
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Tapas - Scandinavian Style?”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A taste of this - a taste of that. That's what you get at Domku. My husband and I were curious about the Scandinavian/Eastern European fare being offered up in small plates - and we loved it! Each dish is sized to get a flavor so you can design the meal you want by picking several dishes to share. We had read reviews complaining about the service, but after experiencing this restaurant first hand, I think the service takes second fiddle to the experience and tasty treats. Our waitress explained that dishes come out as they are ready, so you may get all of your dishes at once or one at a time depending on what you order. So you can't really judge the service the same as you would at a traditional eatery. We never waited very long for a new treat to be delivered but the pace of the meal will take some getting used to. The restaurant is located in the up and coming Petworth neighborhood of DC and is easily accessible by Metro. The restaurant has a friendly laid back atmosphere and would be a great place for a group of friends to meet for drinks and major snacking!

• Visited August 2012
New Berlin, WI
“Unique place enriches the neighborhood”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stopped for breakfast on a Sunday. The choices were unique and the four dishes for our party were each wonderful...French toast, waffle, vegetarian bread and Polish cheese and Eggs Benedict. I would love to try some of the lunch and dinner items. Domku makes a visit to Petworth worthwhile.

• Visited August 2012