“Ghetto Baby?!”

Capitol City Hostel
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Ghetto Baby?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

I'm not going to lie.......Bill is a legend. He will help you with anything, and after nearly being homeless I was very grateful to be able to stay here.

But good grief......we were ravished by BED BUGS, they literally made a 3 course meal out of us! Ive never been so itchy in all my life....

Me and a friend went next door to the Chinese takeout place.....BIG MISTAKE! A local approached us telling us about how he'd just got out of jail and was prepared to rob people (while eyeballing our handbags)...Hmm. Scary.

Positives....Bill is lovely, free internet, free peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

If you can see past the bed bugs, and scary local people then go for it! Be be warned....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
US
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I wanna say a word of wisdom to those who think this is a good place to say. RUNNNNNN !!!!
After calling the # of the supposed hostel and the short conversation on the phone with a fake who never wanted to tell me his name I realized I could not trust this place and the clown running it. Therefore I booked somewhere else.
Let me open your eyes just a little. If I don't convince you, perhaps you shouldn't even be traveling. Stay home and grow up. This home-run business that is being advertised as hostel is nothing more than a circus with the owner playing the smart animal trainer. Or should I say the psycho...?
Of course the animals are supposedly the visitors who think that 24 bucks can buy anything in DC.
First, this so called 'hostel' doesn't even have a website like others where you can go and check specs, rates, amenities, and make reservations. You have to call a phone # to be greeted by an unpleasant anonymous person who doesn't want to tell you his name. In a normal environment the hostel representative on the other end of the line will tell you his name first. Why is this guy afraid to say it?
Ok, you ask. What follows is pure BullS. You must send an email to some address and give your personal information and credit card info. Then wait for approval.
And that's in the year 2010!! When all the reservations are instantly made online. Try and top this.
If you write in your email you'll be checking in at 9 pm you can't come at 7, cause the host will kick you out. Nobody will be allowed in after 9pm. What?! Sounds like a prison to me not a hostel. Never ever have I heard, seen or had to the chance to experience anything like it. Red flag, red flag.
And no, you can't use a driver's license to check in. You need a passport 'cause you are in Guatemala not Washington DC.
Man, I traveled this country, stayed at hostels in various states but nobody, I mean nobody has ever asked me to show a passport. I'm American, what else do you want, shall I also bring my birth certificate?
Clearly, this psychotic behavior is the only warning you need.
So, let's recap. You call, talk to a ghost on the phone, send an email h-ell knows to whom, give out your MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION to h-ell knows who, wait for approval, don't come earlier or later than announced you can have your arss thrown out, stash your passport in your underwear and hit the road. You'll be staying at.. what was that...Hostel Capitol City? That's the only place you'll need you passport. Did I mention that you need to leave a copy of your passport there?
Give me a break. This joker doesn't stand a chance to be getting any business from me. I know money is tight, traveling on a budget but I'm not buying this. I better spend 3 times more and sleep in a decent hotel than in a haunted mansion.
Sleeping in the car sounds like better choice. Less humiliation.
No, I will never trust this imaginary 'hostel' with my personal or financial information. Clearly the guy didn't win my respect.
I still don't know what his name was.
So, fellas take my advice, shop around. Don't let your finances interfere with the pleasure of traveling. This place is not for spending the nights in DC. It's run by a "You-Do-as-I-say" who thinks he is a prison warden and visitors are animals that need to be trained. All those idiotic rules don't fit in the mentality of a free American.
Something to think about: if the guy hides behind the phone receiver, doesn't want to personally handle the reservation one on one, is afraid to let you in after 9 o'clock and thinks you might just show him a fake driver's license then he is afraid of flying bugs which implies that's a bad neighborhood to be in, likely frequented by "motha-fukka" type dudes.
As I said RUNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed October 2010
4 Thank LifeisabeachHawaii

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Pros: The owner, Bill is great, really friendly and will tell you how to get to places in Washington and what is good to see. Also free internet (and computers) and free peanut butter and jelly. This hostel was also cheaper than most others.
Cons: The hostel is filthy. I'm not sure if the rooms have ever been cleaned. And there were BED BUGS! We all got bitten. The rooms were also very crammed (two double bunk beds, and a matress on the floor - total of 10 people in the room) and there is only one bathroom per floor. There are no lockers in the rooms. This hostel is in a bad neighbourhood as well, I felt unsafe going outside and I was travelling with a group of girls, so we always made sure we stuck together. I would not recommend this hostel, particularly if you are a solo traveller.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank iheartravelling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights and bill the owner was amazing. He has two houses both equipt with digital tv, Internet and cooking equiptment. The rooms have double size bunks so as a couple we were able to save some money by sharing a bed.

The area seems a bit scary espwhen u arrive at night but the locals are funny and the bloke who owns the liqour store on the corner is really nice.

The x2 bus drops off and picks up outside the hostel and takes you into town. It's $1.75 each way and takes about 30 mins

bill will tell you everything and anything you need to know about dc and American life

• Stayed September 2010