“Friendly and Eccentric Hostel”

Capitol City Hostel
Capitol City Hostel
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Looking at other reviews, I had to leap to the defence of this hostel which I stayed in with my girlfriend for 7 days (longer than a lot of those previous reviewers). Sure the neighbourhood is grimy and a bit dodgy. But in all the 7 days there, where we took the local bus at least twice a day, not once were we put in danger ie its not as scary as it seems. The hostel is as basic as it gets, but the sheets we had were clean, and NO BED BUGS, and certainly no complaints of that nature from anyone else there, and it was a packed household.
Bill is as friendly as can be and welcomes you like he knows you - you wont get this in a lot of hostels. Free internet, free toast and peanut butter all day...fantastic for the long weary traveller. Thanks again Bill!
Tip - check out Bills wall of "thank you" notes - the entire wall is covered with them from people all over the world.(we left some Scottish coins glued to a piece of paper with a thank you message )

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Capitol City Hostel

Reviewed April 5, 2011

This Hostel is a bit outside the city center but walking is only half an hour and there is a bus in front of the door. The Owner is really really nice and helps you with everything! There is free Internet with free Computers which is very comfortable if you don't have an Notebook but there is free WiFi, too. Only 24 Dollar with Taxes included is very good for this nice place and there is always some free food if you are hungry!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I stayed there last week and am still being attacked by those burry little creatures. I can't get rid of them. My friend in another room also suffered at the mercy if the creepy crawlies!

Location isn't great but public transport is easy to where you want to go.

This isn't really a hostel but more of a converted house with bunk beds in the spare rooms while the owner lives in a room of the kitchen.

Last resort hostel.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank EstherWNZ
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I'm not going to lie.......Bill is a legend. He will help you with anything, and after nearly being homeless I was very grateful to be able to stay here.

But good grief......we were ravished by BED BUGS, they literally made a 3 course meal out of us! Ive never been so itchy in all my life....

Me and a friend went next door to the Chinese takeout place.....BIG MISTAKE! A local approached us telling us about how he'd just got out of jail and was prepared to rob people (while eyeballing our handbags)...Hmm. Scary.

Positives....Bill is lovely, free internet, free peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

If you can see past the bed bugs, and scary local people then go for it! Be be warned....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I wanna say a word of wisdom to those who think this is a good place to say. RUNNNNNN !!!!
After calling the # of the supposed hostel and the short conversation on the phone with a fake who never wanted to tell me his name I realized I could not trust this place and the clown running it. Therefore I booked somewhere else.
Let me open your eyes just a little. If I don't convince you, perhaps you shouldn't even be traveling. Stay home and grow up. This home-run business that is being advertised as hostel is nothing more than a circus with the owner playing the smart animal trainer. Or should I say the psycho...?
Of course the animals are supposedly the visitors who think that 24 bucks can buy anything in DC.
First, this so called 'hostel' doesn't even have a website like others where you can go and check specs, rates, amenities, and make reservations. You have to call a phone # to be greeted by an unpleasant anonymous person who doesn't want to tell you his name. In a normal environment the hostel representative on the other end of the line will tell you his name first. Why is this guy afraid to say it?
Ok, you ask. What follows is pure BullS. You must send an email to some address and give your personal information and credit card info. Then wait for approval.
And that's in the year 2010!! When all the reservations are instantly made online. Try and top this.
If you write in your email you'll be checking in at 9 pm you can't come at 7, cause the host will kick you out. Nobody will be allowed in after 9pm. What?! Sounds like a prison to me not a hostel. Never ever have I heard, seen or had to the chance to experience anything like it. Red flag, red flag.
And no, you can't use a driver's license to check in. You need a passport 'cause you are in Guatemala not Washington DC.
Man, I traveled this country, stayed at hostels in various states but nobody, I mean nobody has ever asked me to show a passport. I'm American, what else do you want, shall I also bring my birth certificate?
Clearly, this psychotic behavior is the only warning you need.
So, let's recap. You call, talk to a ghost on the phone, send an email h-ell knows to whom, give out your MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION to h-ell knows who, wait for approval, don't come earlier or later than announced you can have your arss thrown out, stash your passport in your underwear and hit the road. You'll be staying at.. what was that...Hostel Capitol City? That's the only place you'll need you passport. Did I mention that you need to leave a copy of your passport there?
Give me a break. This joker doesn't stand a chance to be getting any business from me. I know money is tight, traveling on a budget but I'm not buying this. I better spend 3 times more and sleep in a decent hotel than in a haunted mansion.
Sleeping in the car sounds like better choice. Less humiliation.
No, I will never trust this imaginary 'hostel' with my personal or financial information. Clearly the guy didn't win my respect.
I still don't know what his name was.
So, fellas take my advice, shop around. Don't let your finances interfere with the pleasure of traveling. This place is not for spending the nights in DC. It's run by a "You-Do-as-I-say" who thinks he is a prison warden and visitors are animals that need to be trained. All those idiotic rules don't fit in the mentality of a free American.
Something to think about: if the guy hides behind the phone receiver, doesn't want to personally handle the reservation one on one, is afraid to let you in after 9 o'clock and thinks you might just show him a fake driver's license then he is afraid of flying bugs which implies that's a bad neighborhood to be in, likely frequented by "motha-fukka" type dudes.
As I said RUNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: October 2010
4  Thank LifeisabeachHawaii
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Pros: The owner, Bill is great, really friendly and will tell you how to get to places in Washington and what is good to see. Also free internet (and computers) and free peanut butter and jelly. This hostel was also cheaper than most others.
Cons: The hostel is filthy. I'm not sure if the rooms have ever been cleaned. And there were BED BUGS! We all got bitten. The rooms were also very crammed (two double bunk beds, and a matress on the floor - total of 10 people in the room) and there is only one bathroom per floor. There are no lockers in the rooms. This hostel is in a bad neighbourhood as well, I felt unsafe going outside and I was travelling with a group of girls, so we always made sure we stuck together. I would not recommend this hostel, particularly if you are a solo traveller.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank iheartravelling
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights and bill the owner was amazing. He has two houses both equipt with digital tv, Internet and cooking equiptment. The rooms have double size bunks so as a couple we were able to save some money by sharing a bed.

The area seems a bit scary espwhen u arrive at night but the locals are funny and the bloke who owns the liqour store on the corner is really nice.

The x2 bus drops off and picks up outside the hostel and takes you into town. It's $1.75 each way and takes about 30 mins

bill will tell you everything and anything you need to know about dc and American life

• Stayed: September 2010