Book In Advance
Tours from DC by Foot tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience DC by Foot
2,519 results
All reviews lincoln assassination tour walking tour dan king great tour our tour guide national mall historic georgetown capitol hill tidal basin hour tour history teacher highly recommend this tour embassy row two hours interesting stories white house four hours
Reviewed yesterday

I love these Free Tours by Foot that are in many cities. We took the 2 hour tour of the national Mall, went to the WW II memorial, Vietnam memorial and Lincoln memorial. Along the way, we learned a lot of history and interesting trivia about Washington DC.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

What a fantastic experience. Ingeborg was very good... funny, personable, told great stories. You may not know it but you must learn about "jerry" Harding and "jumbo" johnson!

Reviewed 1 week ago

We took the Mall Tour in DC and we really enjoyed it!

On one hand, I agree with the "Free tour" idea. This way, everybody is able to enjoy a guided tour, no matter your budget.

On the other hand we has a good experience thanks to our tour guide, Boglarka. She was diligent and professional. She gave the information regarding the monuments in a factual but understandable way for everybody. The explanations were accurate but entertaining at the same time.

In addition, I had a couple of concers about the tour, which I told them afterwards. I got a personalized answer rigth away, which I think is the right and professional thing to do but normally you don't get it. I really appreciated the gesture!

I would definitely recommend Free Tours by Foot and Boglarka!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Specifically picked the Secrets and Scandals Tours because it'd be cool to get some fun facts & outrageous stories from past political scene and the tour was with Boglarka.

The tour format was nice & all, but this boglarka seems to have some obsession with morbidity where over 75% of the stories revolved around the death of the political figure. Rather than getting some funny, intelligible, or scandalous stories, she'll be harping on her engrossment with morbid stories. She would also keep bringing up some cemetery tour at least 3-4 times during her tour, so I'm not sure if she was selling that or what. I've read about some of these and I'm pretty sure she even embellished some of the more details.
She would actually be a good guide, energetic and good narrations, though her continuous tendency where she seemed to actually really relish on crass death details, seriously no idea why, was what makes up most of the tour.

Canden, Manager at DC by Foot, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Khushie,

Thank you for joining our tour and taking time to leave your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the tour. We only know how to improve with feedback from guests so your constructive comments will help us ensure that future guests have a better experience with our guides.

Some of the people discussed on this tour are buried in Arlington National Cemetery, a popular place for guests in DC to visit. We like to connect all the sites in DC so guests have recommendations for other things to do in DC and can make parallels with places they may find themselves on their trip. The tour takes place in an area nicknamed Tragedy Square, so we do talk about the duels, assassinations (or attempted) in addition to the stories about sex and scandal - many of which ended in death as that is how problems were handled in the 19th century.

We pride ourselves in being historians. No tours have scripts and we all must research any topic we wish to talk about on a tour. No story should be embellished because in this case, truth is wilder than fiction. If you could please contact me directly at canden@dcbyfoot.com with what stories you found to be untrue so we can be sure to address this.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to DC nonetheless.

Cheers
Canden

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I did five tours with this company. Capitol Tour/Library Congress, All in one, Secrets and Scandals, Dupont, Lincoln Assa. (Shortened names)

They were all excellent and informative. The guides knew their 'stuff' very well! I have done free tours in two other cities, and these were the best I have done.

I had Dan King for three tours, Ingeborg and Boglarka for one each.
Dan was the best guide of the three and did very well. He used his voice and body language well and made jokes (which were mostly good, but some felt a bit rehearsed - like he had made them too many times before and was forcing it - but that is beside the point that the guidance was useful!)
Ingeborg and Boglarka were also good and professional, just wanted to give an extra shout out to Dan.
I recommend this company to all! Group sizes were also right, not too big!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although we live across the bridge in Arlington, VA, we enjoy exploring all the gems DC has to offer. This is our 2nd tour with this company. We enjoyed the first tour - WH Scandals and just completed the Ghosts of Georgetown. Our tour guide, Colin was EXCELLENT! I believe he made the tour extra special and animated. Excited to try more tours.

1  Thank theJourneyGal
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We (3 adults) did the Dark Side of Dupont tour and absolutely loved it. Our tour guide Dan King showed up on time and swiftly checked everyone in and started the tour on time.

He was a top notch guide and an excellent storyteller. To be honest I go on a lot of walking tours when I travel and have never had a bad experience because I think people who lead them have a natural talent for this type of work. They genuinely love to talk and engage with people and Dan reflected this. I was completely engaged the entire time. I highly recommend this specific tour

1  Thank Reggie R
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What a wonderful way to spend our first full day in DC! We took the All in One National Mall and Tidal Basin tour which is a four hour walking tour. Our guide, Rebecca F (beautiful red hair) was energetic and enthusiastic (although she has done this for several years) and our walk truly did not feel like four hours. You can also take the two hour tours. The walk is all level and we stopped a lot to see the sights, all the while leaning the history of the wonderful National Mall. This is a pay what you want tour and we each gave her $20.00 and it was worth every penny! Start your trip to DC with this great experience.

1  Thank Vicky H
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lovely old town area, lots of historical and Kennedy connections (you can download a list of all the places the family were connected with in the area), plus lovely waterfront.

1  Thank Suzanne K
Reviewed October 9, 2018

We took three tours with DC By Foot (Free Tours By Foot), including Capitol Hill & Library of Congress,
National Mall Evening Walking Tour, and Dark Side of Embassy Row & Dupont. Our three different guides had two things in common: One, they were all excellent, and two, they were all named Rebecca!

We enjoyed the tours very much, and all three Beccas were enthusiastic, informative, and ready to answer questions, offer tips and directions, and share the history of the city. We will certainly book with this company as we visit other cities.

Our only disappointment was in seeing a few folks tip with just a dollar or two for a full two-hours of guided information and fun. Yes, the tours are pay-what-you-like, but similar pre-paid tours cost $30-$60. After visiting the majestic Washington and Lincoln Monuments, leave the Georges and Abes in your purse and hand the guide a Jackson or a couple of Hamiltons. They deserve it. By the way, all three Beccas showed sincere gratitude for every donation, regardless of the face on the bill.

We highly recommend DC By Foot.

1  Thank Dexter_J