“Yummety Yum Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oyamel

Oyamel
Reserve with OpenTable
Oyamel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Central American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: D Street
Transit: Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter on the yellow and green lines; Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red, yellow and green lines.
Description: Oyamel combines Mexico's rich regional diversity with the modern urban atmosphere of Mexico City. The liveliness of the dining room is matched by the creativity of the menu and cocktail list, featuring antojitos-Mexican small plates-ceviches and tacos, plus unique margaritas, and an impressive array of wines and tequilas. Originally opened in 2004 in the Crystal City neighborhood of Arlington, Oyamel moved to its current home in the Penn Quarter in March of 2007.
Southwest MO
“Yummety Yum Yum”
Reviewed July 1, 2006

I was just in D.C. during the last week of June (think massive rainfall and flooding) for a conference. I was fortunate enough to be staying in a hotel which was attached to the Crystal City shops, so I didn't have to head out into the elements to forage for food. I happened upon Oyamel's menu while cruising the shops and I was intrigued. I ended up eating there for both lunch and dinner. I absolutely loved the creative menu, the atmosphere, and the flavor of the cuisine. Yes, I'm using the word cuisine here because it definitely wasn't your standard fare. I thoroughly enjoyed everything I tried. (I only wish I could have tried more...) There were plenty of veggie options for those who are avoiding meat, but there were plenty of meat options as well. I've already said it, but I'll sum it up again: creative, great atmosphere, great food. Definitely worth a try! (And if you should happen to go when it's cold/rainy, try their Mexican hot chocolate. It warms your belly and your soul!)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Everything was so good. 7-8 tapas is enough for two. On Tuesday they have happy hour, 1.50 tacos and cheap wine/margaritas. They also make guacomale infront of you and food doesn't arive all at once, that way you enjoy your dish and wait for the next one. We had a great time and the atmosphere is very welcoming...great service. Jaleo is also next door, which has the same owner, but has more of a spanish fusion.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Mexican gourmet”
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We had lunch here last Friday and were pleasantly surprised by the delicious banana wafers/ nachos and the unique sauces that were served with them. That was only the beginning. They have small dishes that are meant to be shared, each one totally unique and VERY good. I felt like I had gone to another country.... that's how different the food tasted! We ordered grilled fish tacos and shrimp tacos and a mushroom/cheese quesadilla. Ordered chocolate flan for dessert but it was not really flan --more like a chocolate mouse with amazing anise icecream on top. We had a Peruvian waiter who was really friendly and and down to earth. The decor of this restaurant is gorgeous, not at all what you'd expect to find in a shopping mall (shopping city, whatever) across from an airport.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member