“Highly Over-Rated Indian”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: On D Street Between 6th and 7th Streets.
Transit: Two Block Walk From the China Town/Gallery Place Metro and One Block Walk From the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro.
Reviewed December 12, 2018

Crispy spinach was as good as advertised but the fish curry had an over salted sauce which lacked subtlety or flavor. The fish itself was nicely cooked. I had the duck Vindaloo. The duck was OK but the sauce was awful. I'm guessing it contained a half bottle of Worcestershire....bizarre and unlike any Vindaloo I have every had. Also way overboard on salt.

I think this place's reputation is living on its crispy spinach.

Date of visit: December 2018
3  Thank Richard C
Write a reviewReviews (2,858)

Reviewed December 12, 2018 via mobile

My first time! Everyone raves about it for good reason
I let the server choose some favorites. One dish better than the next
Reservations are a must!

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Evelyn F
Reviewed December 4, 2018

This restaurant features high quality Indian food and top notch service. I had a delicious sole appetizer followed by a tasty lamb main dish. The cardamon flavored ice cream was an excellent way to finish my meal.

1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed November 26, 2018

This visit we were a table of nine very hungry-for-Indian-Food diners since our last visit last year.

Nothing has changed except new menu offerings and it is good to get recognized in this place as the Chef pays us a visit for our almost everything--on-the-menu order.

The succulent Lamb Shank dish was replaced with a newfangled rendition, but I would want the old one back.

The restaurant needs a new wine refrigerator as I like my whites perfectly chilled.

The two Fish entrees with the Haddock and Snapper were simply to die for.

We are already on their reservation chart for 2019, a table for 10!

1  Thank Dinerwhoknows
Reviewed November 15, 2018 via mobile

Wow, amazing flavors! Ordered a few sides and tasted a few of my friends' dishes. Cauliflower and okra sides were incredible, spinach salad was great, though I didn't love it as much as others did. The taste of chicken biryani i had was excellent. My only disappointment was the bread basket. Fine but nothing special.

1  Thank lollydOlympia