“One of the best Indian places in the US.”
Review of Rasika

Rasika
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 3,341 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: On D Street Between 6th and 7th Streets.
Transit: Two Block Walk From the China Town/Gallery Place Metro and One Block Walk From the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Places that cook food from the different Indian regions well are few and far between.This place is one. The chicken, biriyani and south Indian prawns were excellent. So were the starters, sheek kababs and palak chaat. Unfortunately the naan breads were below average and five of us were squashed onto a table for 4.
Any fan of Indian food should pay a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,378)

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We arrived after 10pm as we didn't have a reservation, but were seated very quickly in the dining area and greated by a server after 5 minutes to take our drinks order. He took our order, but delivered two drinks that were incorrect, although this was rectified very quickly and he let us have the drinks on the house which was very nice!

Definitely order the Palaak Chaat, we actually ordered it twice for starters and main course, very tasty a crispy! We also ordered Elaichi Tikka, and Seekh Kebab - the chicken was a quite salty and the kebab had a fairly 'mushy' texture - these were not very good.

For main course we had Parsi Lamb and Daal Makhani - the lamb was incredibly tender, but the daal again was very salty (and I like salt in my food, but this was a bit overkill).

After learning that the President had visited the resaurant in the past, along with diplomats, officials etc, we expected the service to be top quality (being #1 in Washington). But it left something to be desired - no papadams were offered, no pickles, not even a hot towel at the end of service. Also, the clearance waiters seemed rather miserable, and didn't give a smile, hello, or ask about how our meal was going. Only one of the waiters seemed genuinely attentive, and even gave us a brief history about the place which made the atmosphere an the meal more enjoyable.

I can see that other reviews in the past give the place great reviews, and I can appreciate that this might be an 'off' day for the restaurant and so may have lacked in certain areas - but we came in on a Saturday (and were told the weekends are usually fully booked 6 weeks in advance), so the service should be second to none. It may be our fault turning up after 10pm, although others turned up after 11pm and were still getting served so I'm not really sure when the kitchen closes.

However, I would recommend a visit, and I would return again to see if anything changes.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I hate to give bad reviews, but I gave a 3 out of uncertainty. What are other seeing or eating that I didn't eat or was impressed by? For my tastes, definitely NOT # 1. I took my wife and son there, especially to impress my son since Indian food has become his favorite. Since I read and was recommended this being the best. I could only get in thru Open Table for reservations and it was late a 9:30 pm one. The place is very professional and accommodated us right away. The servers were very knowledgeable and explained each entrée. Our appetizers were good, we order an eggplant app. and an Okra one. My son ordered a chicken dish as did my wife, I ordered the grouper. Mine was very bland and acidity at the same time and basically not very good. My son liked his but commented that the same dish he cooks for himself is tastier when he makes it. So maybe we didn't order the right things?? That makes them #1?
The place was very loud and what didn't help was the fact that we were near an obnoxious LOUD couple, but that's not the restaurant's fault. Again, I still don't see what the fuss is all about. Definitely not worth the $$$. Better choices in DC.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I generally do not do restaruant review. In fact this is my first restaurant review and I had to do it as we do not understand why it was rated so high at tripadvisor.

Do not get me wrong, the food is fine but definitely not the best Indian food we have had and I would not travel or made an effort to come to this restaurant just for the food. It is just very average typical Indian food. Their so called signature "mango shrimp" and the roti are both quite disappointing. The shrimp does not taste fresh at all and there is no mango taste to it. The roti is even worse - dry and chewy, almost taste like day old bread. The fish on the other hand was cooked to perfection - moist and tasty.

I definitely would not return to this place the next time we are in Washington, not because the food is that bad but for the price they charge, we could definitely get better food somewhere else.

1  Thank mjqueenCalgary
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place apparently gets great critical review - my lady had read about it and wanted to go for a while. We were there for lunch - as was a lot of people that had trouble keeping their voices down. Our server was very good - he recommended we do half-portions so we could taste more dishes. Also not shy about our request to give us his recs. For apps we had the Pagda Pattice - which had good Indian flavor, but was nothing that outstanding or unique. Also had the avocado chaat - which was both outstanding and unique. For mains we had parsi lamb, lamb kolhapuri, fish curry [grouper], and chicken tika masala. Parsi was a typical indian dish, kilhapuri was more unusual. The lamb in both was very good. The lady did not like the fish, I did, it was unusual flavor. We both enjoyed the chicken - which i would have not ordered if out server not suggested and said 'its different'. It was very rich - nice.

1  Thank Morgan2010