“This doesn't concern the food”
Review of Rasika

Rasika
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: On D Street Between 6th and 7th Streets.
Transit: Two Block Walk From the China Town/Gallery Place Metro and One Block Walk From the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro.
Battle Creek, Michigan
“This doesn't concern the food”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

To start, and to be fair, I will admit right now this review isn't about the quality of food. After all the glowing reviews, we attempted to eat here, but never did. We arrived at 5:20. The place was completely empty, except for some staff at a back table having a meeting. The hostess asked if we had reservations, and I told we did not (as I looked around seeing nothing but empty tables, I found her question even a bit odd), but I explained since it was so early that I was hoping that would still be okay. At first it seemed she was going to sit us, but then another man, I presume perhaps the manager, stared into the computer screen and mumbled something to her. Suddenly, she announced that they were completely booked at 6 and that we'd have to sit in the walk-in bar area. Initially we agreed to this, but my 6'1" tall husband found himself sitting in furniture that was better suited for children! His knees awkwardly touched the end of the table, as did mine, and eating would have been nearly impossible unless we wanted to straddle the tiny table or lean painfully forward. It quickly became apparent that this wasn't really meant as a serious dining spot, but more for casual drinks and perhaps a few appetizers and we made the decision to leave. Perhaps I am wrong, but I no wonder if they refused to sit us in the dining area because of how we were dressed. We were in town as tourists, both wearing tennis shoes, my husband in shorts. This is an area of town where business folks wearing dresses and heels, and suits abound. I feel if we were "appropriately dressed" we may have been treated differently. We could have been nearly done dining when their first "reservations" rolled in. I feel their image was their highest consideration and not really giving us lowly tourists service. Our money is just as good as anyone elses, and we have plenty to spend on good food! Just too bad we didn't get the chance.

7 Thank dbaron62

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
VA
“A good as the hype”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A series of delicious dishes was our treat here. Three of us shared some appetizers and split two entrees. Next time, we'd stick with the appetizers, not because the entrees were bad but just hard to share. Wonderful cooking and a nice change of pace.

canberra
“a bitter sweet experience”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

after a morning's sightseeing on our last day here we decided to try this restaurent for lunch as it has such terrific reviews. we arrived after 1.45pm, a party of 4 adults & 2 children. we were enthusiastically looking forward to lunch & ordered a variety of dishes . they were very tasty esp the chicken curry & the naan that accompanied it was excellent . the food was very authentic & we were enjoying our meal until we were approached by the manager, mr Gokul , who asked us to take our 9mths old grandson out as he was crying. what we cannot understand was that there were no complaints & coupled with the fact that the restaurent was also very noisy, what fuelled this request ????
it was a situation that the baby was hot & hungry , the manager's action certainly showed poor customer handling. this has never ever happened to us before in any restaurents & we were certainly very upset,
a big thumbs up for this restaurent for food & service would have been awarded but it ended up being a bitter sweet experience for us , thanks to Gokul!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank godzilla_oz
San Antonio, Texas
“Excellent modern Indian”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Great date place. If the regular dining is full, they have walk up places in casual dining. Place was fully booked, but we were seated within 20 minutes.

Don't come expecting traditional dishes on most Indian menus. They, but the best part is the new, or at least new to me, dishes and flavors.

• Visited June 2013
Palm Springs, California
“Truly one of the great Indian restaurants”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I truly love Indian food and have been spoiled by my many visits to Vijs in BC, Canada. But this is a truly great restaurant and the chef is very talented. If I lived nearby I would eat here several times a week. Give your mind and taste buds a reward you won't be sorry.