“Well represented Indian flavors, both authetic and innovative”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rasika

Rasika
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: On D Street Between 6th and 7th Streets.
Transit: Two Block Walk From the China Town/Gallery Place Metro and One Block Walk From the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro.
Nagoya, Japan
“Well represented Indian flavors, both authetic and innovative”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Rasika's gastromomic offerings are fusions of Indian regional cooking.  The diversity in the use of ingredients presents the chef's reinvention of Indian cuisine. For the Indian food purists, Rasika is sure to stir up debates and discussions because it is forwardly contemporary. I sampled their six course degustation menu. The opening salvo was the Palak Chaat made of crispy baby spinach dressed in sweet sour taste of yogurt and date chutney. I ascertain this dish as a star.  The sour invokes the call for appetite, the texture of deep green crisps reminds me of nori seaweed less the marine taste. The second dish I forgot, maybe it is indeed to be forgotten. Third, the Mussels Molee, which was delicately cooked that harmonized with the creamy but light  flavors of curry leaves, ginger and coconut milk. Personally, this dish was the perfect example of a well moderated presentation of the traditionally strong and heavy ingredients of Goan and Keralan cuisines. The curry sets were presented together with the nan basket and Basmati rice.
They were the following: Bhindi Amchoor- orka, Dal Makhani,Lamb Roganosh, and Chicken Makhani Tikka Masala.  Except for the Okra dish, I find the curry creamy with liberal use of souring ingredient... tomy suspicion, yogurt and tamarind(?).  However the taste distinction among was rather nil. I always have caution on taking Indian desserts as they have this invasive sweetness. Our plate had  carrot cake halwa/cinnamon sabayon,jalebi/gulab jamun, and cardamom ice cream. My personal choice was the cardamom ice cream because it was the antithesis of sweet.  Non alcoholic drink choices were rather limited. But I enjoyed the watermelon drink, as it was smooth and clean.  An order of fish (salmon) balanced our set for the day. Although portions were small, it was very adequate.

We were seated in the corner of the "dining area" which to me is just right. The ambience was cozy, but the number of people peaking at lunch time made it a bit noisy but tolerable.  Service was fine, although I think they were a bit calculated.

In general, the lunch experience was pleasant. It is a highly recommended  stop after touring the museums. Be sure to have reservations ahead via opentables.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank NeilHTG

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakton, Virginia, United States
“They Deserve the Accolades”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

More than once we have tried a DC hop spot restaurant and left wondering how'd they get those reviews?? But not Rasika. We turned ourselves over to our waiter's recommendations and were not disappointed. There was 4 in our party - all ladies - out on Madonna Monday. We shared 3 apps - all were great - but the fried spinach is a must! The waiter patiently listened to our likes/dislikes/diet issues, and made perfect recommendations for each of us. We were there almost 2 hours - and never felt rushed or ignored. Excellent service, great environment, and most importantly - outstanding food!!! So they do indeed deserve all of the accolades they receive.

2 Thank Kathy I
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We wanted to try this place out as it kept popping up on "the best" lists on many of
the travel sites I visited, we had to settle to getting a table the night before we left, the rest of the week there was no availability! The service was good, little above average and the space itself was rather loud. But, that said, the food was absolutely amazing. We both loved everything we had and only wished it hadn't been he last night so we could return!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank jenwen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fabulous Food but Very Noisy”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about my recent meal at Rasika. Three out of four dishes were fabulous. The Palak Chaat was light and bursting with flavor and the Mango Shrimp was fabulous. The honey ginger duck was perfectly cooked and delicious with not an ounce of fat. The black cod, however, was bland and fatty, a disappointing dish when compared to the rest of the meal. The naan was also fairly average. I realize that expectations may be a factor (Rasika is commonly rated as the best Indian restaurant in the United States), but I did expect every dish to live up to their reputation. The restaurant is also very noisy and we struggled to understand the waiter, who was a bit overly attentive and made me feel rushed. At a lower price, I'd be raving about Rasika, but the bill was pretty high and I left wondering if the overall experience was worth it.

2 Thank trvladdict
w.bloomfield
“Comfortable place-great food”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I went here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Her choice. Had the most wonderful lamb chops. I like my meat well done and these were just that but I really didnt need a knife to cut. The sides were also tasteful even though I do not like "spicy" food/seasonings. Need to make reservations early as they are well booked.