“Amazing Hospitality and Beautiful Rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brookland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
The Brookland Inn
Ranked #34 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Amazing Hospitality and Beautiful Rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

My partner and I stayed at this property for the inauguration of President Barack Obama. This was such a great experience. The hotel is a converted apartment building with only 8 rooms. It is truly the epitome of a boutique hotel. We have a one bedroom apartment with a flat screen TV, amazing king size bed with a mattress you would expect at a five star hotel, kitchen, living room and central AC and heat.

The hosts (and owners) Robin and Robert were amazing. They prepared breakfast for us each morning and on the day of the inauguration prepared care packages of muffins, juice, and water for us to take. They even prepared a commemorative guide to this historic event. The hotel is just 3 stops from Union Station on the Red Line so it is convenient yet tucked away in a nice neighborhood near Catholic University. The Metro is a short walk from the hotel.

We strongly recommend this hotel if you are in the DC area and will visit again soon!

• Liked — The service and attentiveness of our hosts
  • Disliked — Nothing--it was flawless
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2008

My wife and i stayed at the Inn at Brookland over the Thanksgiving weekend. My sister's house is on 12th St. just a few blocks from the inn. The neighborhood is somewhat dicey (for Coloradans from Boulder) but not too bad. We walked from the inn to my sister's house every day and did not feel nervous or scared even at night (one evening there was some sort of altercation happening with a man and baseball bat yelling across the road to some other men, but we walked right past and were not disturbed).

The Inn itself is completely anonymous from the outside; no sign or any indication of its presence from the outside. Perhaps this is to stay low key in the neighborhood. We passed it four times on our first night before we found it by the address. It is a converted walk up apartment building and each room is a small apartment, with kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. The decor is spare but clean and comfortable and includes new flat screen TVs in both the living room and bedroom. The breakfast for us was a kitchen stocked with packaged oatmeal, cold cereal, packaged muffins, coffee, tea, milk, and single serving juices. We did not really avail ourselves of the food as we were so close to family, but it seemed to stretch the term bed and breakfast a bit.

The proximity to the Brookland Metro station was a big plus. We were able to get to the mall and museums very conveniently without having to drive/park.

One thing did impact our stay somewhat. We arrived late on the first night and picked up our key downstairs. When we got to the room it was freezing! The radiator based heat was not working and the staff had placed two space heaters, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. We cranked these up to full speed but it took quite some time to warm the room. Since the space heaters could not be run when the room was empty we returned to a cold room each night. We did ask the staff to turn on the heaters before they left in the evening but that was only done once. We mentioned this to the manager Carolyn, who offered to move us. For various reasons we did not move until the last night, by which time we had figured a system for heating that pretty much worked. It sis give us an opportunity to see another room, which was furnished pretty much like our first room, but with heat.

Our overall impression was positive despite the heating issue. Carolyn was very nice and tried to accommodate our needs.

We recommend the Inn at Brookland if you happen to be in that area of the city or want an out of the way yet convenient (think Metro) place to stay in Washington DC.

• Liked — room size, cleanliness, convenience
  • Disliked — room had heating problems
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Brookland Inn, which provides B+B style accomodations. This was a great find, especially for the DC area. On the outside the place is rather nondescript, it almost looks like a store front, BUT we had great accomodations. Our apartment was very clean, well-kept and comfortable. We had a large sitting room, bedroon (with a very comfortable bed) and even a little kitchenette area. There was free wireless too! The breakfast food was simple, muffins, juice, yogurt, etc, but just fine for us. The inkeepers were accomodating and helpful. On the weekends you can park on the street easily and during the week we made arrrangements to park at the Innkeeper's residence which was only about 4 blocks away and he would have transported us back and forth but we chose to walk. The metro is just a few blocks from the inn, very convenient.
One caveat though. If you get an apartment facing the street it will be noisy. Neither my husband and I are bothered by street noise (mostly cars going by), but if you are senstive to that you may want to make sure that you are located away from the front of the building.
A final note, remember this is a privately run inn, NOT a chain. That is something we really liked, the fact that it was not a clone but rather a unique place! So go with the flow and enjoy the experience!

• Liked — The large rooms
  • Disliked — No fat free milk for the cereal :-)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Taiwan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

The owner of this B&B is so immoral. He seems polite and nice at first. However, when we got there,he told us he double booked our room. And he sent us to other inn. He made us no choice.
He just gave my credit card info to the inn without my permission.
Moreover, he incorrectly charged me the deposit with my credit card. Now I ask him to give my money back, but he doesn't want to answer my phone or mail. I think he does it deliberately.
I strongly suggest that never ever go to this B&B.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank changderek
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

Beware of this b&b as they incorrectly charged my credit card several times while I was a guest there.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TorontoDenise
newyork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

Spacious and gracious. Great little Inn hidden in the neighborhood of Brookland, Washington,D.C. I caught the train from Union Station Amtrak, jumped on local metro, Inn was one block from subway station.My breakfast was served in my room. Owners were very friendly and accommodating. Rooms are surprisingly modern and clean. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Price was very reasonable.

• Liked — size of the rooms, kitchenette and I could use the office downstairs for meetings
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#95 of 140 in Washington DC
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#109 of 140 in Washington DC
Columbia Heights
Diplomatic Management
Diplomatic Management
#26 of 40 in Washington DC

Been to The Brookland Inn? Share your experiences!