“Nice, but in a bad neighborhood.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brookland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
The Brookland Inn
Ranked #35 of 37 Washington DC B&B and Inns
“Nice, but in a bad neighborhood.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts over the years so I had a certain expectation of what the Brookland Inn would be like. They have a very nice website and everything they show you looks nice. But don't be fooled! The Brookland Inn is NOT in a good neighborhood! We were misled about where the hotel actually was. We asked if it was near Dupont Circle like their sister property and were told, "Yes, we're right around the corner from Dupont Circle." Lies! Brookland may be a neighborhood in transition but it needs more transition before I go back. I was traveling with my mother and father-in-law who are in their 60s and 70s and they refused to take the Metro near the Inn because of the neighborhood and we would be coming back at night and they did not feel safe. That made finding transportation to and from the Mall a hassle. It would have been nice to know that before we booked our reservation. Lesson learned.

Having said that, the room was actually pretty nice. For the most part it was clean. There were some weird bugs flying around room the first night there but I killed them. It was nice to have breakfast in the fridge every morning but the milk they provided had gone bad and was curdled. The lady who checked us in, who I'm assuming was part of the housekeeping staff, was very nice. We got to the Inn three hours before check-in time and she let us put our luggage in our rooms so they would be safe while we were out. Since the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet, they don't usually do that, but she let us do it anyway which I thought was very kind of her.

Overall, the Brookland Inn is not a terrible place but I won't be staying there if I go back to DC just because of the sketchy looking neighborhood it resides in. It's not really close to anything and if you decide not to take the Metro (because you think you might get stabbed) you have to rent a car and experience the distinct pleasure of driving and parking in Washington, DC.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had to go to D.C. on short notice I live in N.J. My father had two heart attacks back to back earlier that evening at the Va hospital. I needed a room fast and located close to the hospital. When I called to book the room I was treated with courtesy and a understanding to my needs. When I checked in I could not believe how clean and how well it was decorated (something I don't usually notice) But the room was decorated to compliment the period and character of the Inn,well done. The large bedroom had a king sized bed,a nice sized living room, well stocked Kitchen and very clean bathroom.All of this made a very difficult time in my life so much more bearable!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

This is a great place to stay. I was in town for a meeting at CUA, and this place was ideal. Clean, comfortable, spacious, and easy to get to from the Metro. It felt like I was staying in a friend's apartment while they were out of town. I felt very comfortable walking to the hotel, even late at night. I will stay here from now on when I go to DC no matter where my meetings are. Next time I will bring the family!

Room Tip: Top floor is probably quietest.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

I traveled with an older daughter and my 2 1/2 y/o twins. The accommodations were roomy, clean and easily met all of our needs. From the minute we arrived until we departed a week later, the staff was friendly, professional, and helpful. Rooms had fresh and healthy food available everyday. You cannot get a better deal in all of Washington, DC! As our daughter resides at a performing arts school in DC, we travel there often and plan to stay at Brookland Inn whenever we come if there are rooms available.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Devon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

My wife and I decided to try The Brookland Inn in Washington DC. We stayed there from Sunday April 17 to Wed April 20th 2011.
If you are looking for a "Bed & Breakfast" like you have in Cape May New Jersey, then this is not the place for you. BUT if you are looking for something NEW, RELAXING, PRIVATE and FRIENDLY than this is definately the place.

The room we had had a king bed, a seperate living room (nice and roomy) an adequate bathroom (very clean!!!) My wife loves to take baths and she loved that the tub was sparkling!

There was a cute little kitchen that was very nicely stocked with fresh fruit, two little bottles of orange juice, apple juice, two yogurts, two huge muffins, milk, two bottles of water, six cans of soda, butter, coffee creamer etc. I loved this because there was also breakfast cereal, instant oatmeal, and there were jars of raisons, chocolate chips, and dried blueberries as well. Pleanty of coffee was also available for the little coffee maker. Now..this was replenished eVERY day. Whatever you used was replaced. The food is included in the price! Loved it. We had breakfast every morning at the very attractive little table covered with linens and cloth napkins.

Next door there was a little cafe and bar that was owned by the same owner as the inn. The food was great. We had a few mixed drinks that were fantastic. The folks there were so friendly and had a great sense of humor.

This neighborhood is a REAL neighborhood. It is not a tourist area. You feel like you are a resident when walking to the METRO to take the train to the city. Catholic University is close by.

The METRO was ONLY three blocks away. We never used out car. It was parked in a lot provided for the guests. VERY CONVENIENT.

The METRO was great. We mastered the METRO in a short time. The workers for the METRO will come out of the info booth to help you purchase your daily tickets from the ticket machine and show you how to use it!! I was really shocked as to how friendly they were.

The trains are fast and come very often. There are stops at or near every location you"ll want to go.

Listen, you can stay in a MARRIOT, HAMPTON INN etc and pay alot more than we did..but you will really miss out on something special. I am so glad my wife and I decided to trust our instincts and stay at THE BROOKLAND INN. You will see what I mean.

Sincerely

Rich DeSimone
[--]

Room Tip: Stocked Fridge!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

The accommodations and location were excellent for visiting a sick relative in the city. The staff made sure we were comfortable and all of our physical needs were met. The setting is not for everyone but if you are looking for a cozy and personal feel, this is the place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

Don't confuse the Brookland Inn with the Inn at Brookland. Brookland Inn is a wonderful place to stay in a real, not tourist, DC neighborhood. Each room is actually a good-sized apartment. Our was a one-bedroom with a large sitting room and a well-appointed kitchen stocked daily with coffee, fine teas, yogurt, muffins, fruit, oatmeal, etc. There are several excellent eateries nearby, including the Brooklyn Cafe owned by the same fine folks who own the Inn. We appreciated the off-street parking and were delighted to discover that we didn't need to use the car at all, as we could walk the 3 or so blocks to the Metro, which took us everwhere we wanted to go.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmjmaier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#94 of 140 in Washington DC
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#109 of 140 in Washington DC
Columbia Heights
Diplomatic Management
Diplomatic Management
#26 of 40 in Washington DC

Been to The Brookland Inn? Share your experiences!