“There are Oysters, then there's Hanks Oysters”
Review of Hank's Oyster Bar

Hank's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Hank's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Description: Hank's Oyster Bar
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I happened upon Hank's Oyster bar from a recommendation from an acquaintance I met on the Metro. He and his wife were traveling in the same direction as I was around noon and we started talking while waiting for the train. I couldn't get the idea of an oyster out of my mind for the rest of the day. That night I took a quick bus ride from the Capital Hilton 3 stops to Q Street and 2 minutes later arrived at this nice quaint restaurant. I happened to get there right before the end of happy hour (7:00) where the oysters were $1.00 each. Naturally I wanted 1 dozen and I chose an assortment of the 3 choices available that day. I like my oysters a little briny so there were two choices that I loved - the other, not so much, kind of plain but still clean and delicious. I probably could have eaten another dozen but instead I had the Fried Oyster dinner, YUM!! I also tried a few Belgian beers that are not on most menus but were also nice and tasty. My advice - try it if you like oysters - but go for happy hour and get the bar snacks at reduced rates along with the oysters.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Come after 10:00pm. for the cheapest Oysters in town. It helps that they're local and great too. It does not hurt that the location is pretty great and the bartenders and general staff are always nice too.
Food can be a bit pricey, and a bit on the average side, but the drinks are pretty good, and for DC it is all within the price range one can expect.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Great nightly specials, great food. Small bowl of chocolate for dessert. Reasonably priced, always fun.

1  Thank SUZ H
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The restaurant was fairly close DuPont Circle, a short walk east from the Dupont Circle Metro station, so we decided check it out for an early dinner. In stark contrast to the nearly-empty neighbour Hank's was already busy, obviously popular with after-office crowd. The sidewalk patio was full when we arrived that early evening. The bar was also packed on our way in to the main dining room where we were seated indoors by the windows. The waitress took our order promptly and the busboys filled (and refilled) our water glasses quickly. They served "Goldfish" crackers in stead of buns for pre-meal snacks. The rest of the service, however, left much to be desired. Despite taking our order it took several attempts at getting our waitress' attention before we got our wine. Then it took more prompting to get our oysters; we chose those harvested from Virginia and they were fresh and tasty. The service missteps, however, did not end there. My daughter had ordered the Po-boy oyster sandwich. The dish that was delivered was the fried oyster dinner, however. That was rectified, soon enough. Then we found out that the chef had decided that the musssels were not up to her standard and that we would have to choose another dish. While we appreciate her not serving us bad shellfish it seem strange that this decision was made only at 6:45PM. I do not know what the standard operating procedure is in terms of when to inspect the ingredients for a dinner service, but it seemed a little late in the game. We had cioppino and sablefish.

There was no dessert, but the restaurant provided pieces of dark chocolate gratis in stead.

The lousy service spoiled whatever ambiance and cuisine Hank's offered. Based on other reviews it appears our experience may have been an anomaly, but we certainly do not plan to dine at Hank's Oysters again on a future visit to D.C.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We were in DC staying in Dupont Circle for a meeting and looking for a place to have dinner with a colleague from elsewhere across the country. We found Hank's. We had arranged to meet at 6:30 p.m. We arrived at 6:25, but the waitress wouldn't seat us until everyone was there. So we waited another 10 minutes for Mike to arrive. Thus Hank's missed the opportunity to sell a couple of drinks while we waited. Once Mike arrived, we ordered drinks and dinner. The martinis were stingy. We ordered oysters as an appetizer and they were great. We ordered the raw bar as he main course. It was clams, oysters and a lobster. the lobster came without a cracker which was a mistake. We sat outside thank God. the noise from the bar was overwhelming and spilled outside. The waitstaff was attentive and pleasant although I felt like they were trying to move us along.