“Fun & Fascinating Decor & Menu; Service Friendly & Good”
Review of Oya - CLOSED

Oya
Cuisines: Asian, French
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: H & 9th NW
Transit: Gallery Place/Chinatown on the red and yellow line. Get off at the 9th Street Exit and we are one block away.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Fascinating interior with large fireplace burning up from large white glass rocks along one wall, sheeting waterfall over white along the back wall, huge capiz shell chandelier covering white twinkle lights in the middle. Comfortable chairs on one side of small tables with bench seating along the other - unfortunately, not the most private of seating arrangements especially for tables of 2. Acoustics in the high-ceiling room make it difficult to hear your partner during the busier times - especially if you're middle-aged (50s).

We went all out at lunch with the Salmon entree $15 and Kobe burger $16, Momotara martini $12 and desserts of bread pudding $10 (with recommended Port Dows 10 yo $10) & carrot cake $10. The portions were perfect - small when compared to the norm nowadays but excellent in the non-bloated feeling you finished with.

The Salmon was super fresh & beautifully cooked, served with 6 crispy, delicious whole verde green beans & a cluster of potato fingerlings. The Kobe Burger was about 2/3 the size you expect a burger with a cup of french fries - both perfectly cooked. The desserts were cupcake sized, I would have liked more sauce on my banana bread pudding, my husband wouldn't share his moist, little carrot cake. I loved the Momotaro martini - no miniature there.

I was disappointed a bit with service. There was no evidence of a general maintenance server - the one who makes sure the water glasses are always filled, is on-floor to bring napkins or oddball requests. The regular servers were present most of the time but we had to ask them more than once to get the water glasses filled, napkins, another drink, the dessert menu, the tab. For such superior food and ambiance and the general price point (our lunch for 2 -total cost $97 before tip) - adding a 'water' server would be a great investment & would have improved this customer's experience.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Oya is, hands down, one of the trendiest places to eat in the capital! The atmosphere and ambiance is great: white furniture, a trendy, unconventional fireplace, a waterfall...what's not to like?! Our waitress, Rosie, was FANTASTIC! Very knowledgeable about the entire menu, friendly, and informal, yet personable and professional.

Their menu offerings are delicious! I had the lobster macaroni & cheese (AMAZING) as well as the roasted chicken. They have a tasty chocolate wine as well, which I also would recommend.

The only thing I would suggest is that you stop reading and make your reservation NOW! I know I'll be back for sure!

1  Thank SirRyl
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The restaurant is very stylish. We had an early dinner prior to our theater tickets. It was a rainy day so the restaurant did not seem busy but the bar was. They have a per-theater dinner for $36 and a gluten free menu. The starters; spinach and pear salad and calamari salad were delicious and huge. The mains; scallops (over green grits) and the roasted chicken were very nice but we couldn't finish because our starters were so big. The bread pudding dessert was only OK. The Pinot Grigio Rosé was suggested by our waitress and was surprisingly good.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Some of the best, most creative Asian-fusion in DC, in one of the area's hottest restaurants. Cool interiors including walls of chainmail and a bar area with comfortable, low-key seating. Excellent service and outstanding food, though it can get quite loud in this restaurant.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is the place to be in my book! I had the 3 course Resturant week dinner but i made it a 4-course meal beacese the pork belly sushi roll was calling my name...and I answered!! So Worth it!! had an amazing Apple arugula salad with Pistacio Dressing and it was perfect. I choose for my second course I choose the tenderlion with mash and asparagus, Greade A!!! Finally I have a liquid dessert Chocolate Wine which was by far the best desicion of the night!!! Service was GREAT my server was Rosie. She had great wine knowledge and her service aws Perfect!! I love this place and I'm now a regular!!!

2  Thank David J