“Great in every way”

Central Michel Richard
Reserve with OpenTable
Central Michel Richard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 11th
Transit: walk from Archives/Navy Memorial, Federal Triangle, or Metro Center
Description: Central Michel Richard Restaurant in Washington DC.
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

North American favorites done with a continental twist. Always a pleasure but our last visit for a birthday was particularly fine. Not a quiet place to be sure but the him is happy, the waitstaff is attentive and absent of the often superior Washington tone. And the food and wine list consistently sparkle. A favorite.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I enjoyed the fried chicken and mashed potatoes for the 3rd time here. First was in 2010, second trip was Nov. 2013 and again in Feb. 2014--it is excellent. The sauce that comes with the chicken has a good kick to it. If you're a fan of Kit Kat bars, you will adore Michel's Chocolate Bar. It's $9 but worth the splurge--the taste and textures are fantastic. It's rich and can easily be shared by 2 or 3. It also came with a small dish of what tasted like the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had--creamy, not overly sweet... I'm not exactly a food connaisseur, so I'll just say it was good.

Our service was attentive but not overly present. Water was refilled at the appropriate time, plates removed promptly, etc.

We were seated near the entrance to the restaurant and on our chilly winter night, the rush of air each time someone arrived or departed was uncomfortable. The host and hostess did their best to contain it--every time I looked up, I saw them standing at the door, closing it as quickly as possible. I appreciate their attention to detail.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Second visit to the restaurant for lunch. On both occasions the food was very good and the prices reflect that quality. Even a lunch meal here isn't cheap!

With good food and high prices should come some basic common sense from the staff. In this case, the hostess.

Me and the other person in my party went to the restaurant just after they had opened. We had a reservation. There was only one other table occupied. The hostess sat us at a two-person table across the room and along the bench wall. That part was fine. BUT ...

Within a few minutes, a party of what appeared to be four former frat-boy types shows up and the hostess seats them at the table RIGHT NEXT TO US - literally within 18" away. I had to move over just to give them room to shimmy into the back seats.

WTH?! There were at least ten or more four-person tables available in the restaurant and she CHOSE to seat them right next to us. Since they were so close, and there wasn't much other ambient noise from other diners yet, you couldn't help but overhear everything they were saying - to include how "hammered" they had gotten over the weekend and their female conquests. Nice.

Imagine trying to have a business lunch or discuss a serious topic. And there was absolutely no reason any of us (frat boys included) needed to be inconvenienced like this - the hostess is obviously clueless. To prove that point further, after the frat boys left, she then placed a family with two small children at the same table. Again, there were plenty of other tables but she kept squeezing people in right next to us.

Bottom line - be very careful of taking any clients here - or if you want a romantic meal. I don't mind close quarters when the restaurant is full, but when it is half empty they need to employ a little common sense. Or perhaps employ hostesses whose brain cavities are full of working grey matter, rather than half empty.

Thank TwoTravelersToG... A
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and 2 friends joined me to celebrate and left promising to be back more often. The food is fabulous and the menu has so many enticing choices that all of us had to decide between at least 2 entrees. I came for the burger…OK a burger? Oh yes, a burger and one of the best you'll find anywhere. But, with short ribs on the menu, I changed my mind. Fried chicken (we've gotten it to-go on occasion. My husband, who makes delicious fried chicken concedes its better than his, and … ta da…there's nothing to clean up) and rotisserie chicken were ordered and the Saturday night prime rib special. We tried not to over eat as we had theatre afterwards so no dessert - when out came a glorious chocolate mousse to share, with a candle. Perfect.
We came early, but by the time we left there was a full house, with people waiting for their tables. However, we never felt rushed and had plenty of time to savor our dinners. The servers are wonderful and the place is lively without being noisey. Valet parking is most welcome.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I recently bought the issue of the Washingtonian magazine with the list of the l00 Best Restaurants in the DC area. Central Michel Richard was one of the top 10. The description of the restaurant looked very appealing and, since it was in the Penn Quarter neighborhood where we were staying, I made a reservation there for this past weekend for myself, my wife, and another couple. We were able to walk to and from the restaurant, had WONDERFUL, well-prepared food, enjoyed great service, and will DEFINITELY go back again!