“Expensive Asian food in Washington, DC”
Review of Zengo DC - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th & H Street NW
Transit: Red, Green, Yellow lines at Chinatown/Gallery Place
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I ordered the tasting menu for ceviches and sushi. There were two ceviches in bowls. They were tasty.

There were 4 rolls with 8 slices each. They were interesting.

Also I ate all the items, I was stuffed. This would be appropriate for two or more people.

I also drank a glass of sake.

It cost $84.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We go to Zengo pretty much every time we go to DC. The drinks are tasty, the appetizers and desserts are spectacular, and the entrees are pretty good too. And the proximity to the mall (and thus our hotel) make it all that much more pleasant.

This time we went for the edamame XO style, duck confit, and crab guacamole - and all were truly spectacular (as mentioned). Our search for an entree to match took us to the crispy tofu - and we won! We asked them to substitute sriracha for the house (sweet) sesame chili sauce and it came out perfectly.

Which brings me to our one complaint about Zengo - and the solution we've found. Almost every drink and dish - even ones you wouldn't think would or could be sweet - are too sweet. So find the sweetest thing in the drink/dish and ask them to take it out. The Yuzu Fresa - perfect without the strawberry puree. The Mojito Cuzo - perfect without the melon. And our Crispy Tofu - perfect without the sweet sauce.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I went during Restaurant Week, so the prices were discounted a bit. I think that normally, this would be a bit out of my price range, for a random Friday night. It had a unique variety of foods, combining Asian and Latin. The braised short ribs were so delicious and were so tender that I could actually pull it apart and eat it with chopsticks. The variety on the menu was limited, but everything I tried (because there was some sharing at our table) was delicious.

Our server was fantastic. He was fun and friendly. He was one of those waiters who knows just how often to stop by, never being a nuisance, but always keeping our glasses full.

To try someplace really different, this is a good bet.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

It's a bit of an odd conceit--Asian-Latin fusion--but it works, at least at lunchtime. The XO edamame are definitely worth the price of admission and plenty to share. I even took some home. The pork belly noodle bowl would have fed me and my lunch companion. The upstairs dining area is chic and you can't beat the location, right above Gallery Place Metro. It's good to know there's still at least one spot in the area that's not a chain. I might just have to go back for happy hour.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Being one of Chef Richard Sandoval's famous test kitchens, Zengo in Chinatown has to be one of his best! The downstairs bar and waiting area is very comfortable yet extremely trendy. Our party of 6 women dining alone were made to feel like VIP's while downstairs waiting for our table to be ready. After a very short wait, we were taken to our table upstairs to begin our adventure. I say adventure, because dining at Zengo's is nothing short of one. The menu variety of the Latin-Asian fusion which at first sounded strange, amazingly enough was quite delightful. There were so many choices, we were glad that this was served tapas style so that we didn't have to choose just one. The charred tuna wonton tacos were to die for, and the angry zengo sushi roll was so tasty the table literally fought over the last piece! Valet parking is available at the door, and is easily accessable. Not your run of the mill Chinatown restaurant, and certainly one to not miss. Our party was quite happy that we made the decision to stop in on our way to a concert, as we had passed this restaurant many times before going to Caps games etc, and never took the turn into their door. On a side note, the downstairs bar area has now become one of our favorites before and/or after a Caps game, as it is not your typical bar scene and has a very favorable atmosphere not intimidating at all. Do yourself a favor and take the chance, you won't regret it.