“Great gluten free eating in Washington DC”
Review of Open City

Open City
Ranked #105 of 3,284 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were staying in the Omni Shoreham Hotel opposite and found this great place. They have a great selection of gluten free foods for breakfast, brunch and supper. Tempting carrot cake and cookies to take away too. Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable and made the visits very enjoyable. Be careful as they get very busy, but the wait is worth it.

There are newer reviews for Open City

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is a very popular destination for breakfast, lunch, group get togethers in a friendly, warm environment. No reservations accepted, however, seating is rather quick. For large parties only 1 check is provided. The sun room is warm with heat lamps above. Staff are friendly and attentive.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My wife and kids ate breakfast here twice while visiting DC. All of us really enjoyed this restaurant. The omelette's, breakfast burrito and waffles seemed to be what we liked best although everything tasted good. Fast service, good food and the staff was friendly!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I went to Open City for quick lunch in between business meetings. The atmosphere of the place is great. Since I was by myself, I was able to quickly get a seat at the "bar" (for lunch time, it was certainly a "lunch bar" with food being ordered, but with the excellent wine selection they had, I could see this bar being pretty crowded in an evening).

The service from the staff behind the counter was excellent and prompt (I was in and out in less than 30 minutes).

There were a lot of good options on the menu, and I ended up with a buffalo chicken sandwich. The presentation when delivered was excellent; the sandwich large, on a nice brioche bun, with a large portion size.

I was looking foward to eating the sandwich. The chciken and blue cheese mayo was excellent! To me, I think the bun was a bit off....it appeared to be a bit dry or older, and took away from the sandwich a bit. Because of the bun, I would rate the meal a 3 1/2 rather than a 4...but with the meal variety and the atmosphere, I would be willing to give Open City another shot if in the area.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I only had breakfast at this restaurant. Liked all the choices. It has best hash browns, very crispy and well cooked. I had California Omlette. It was very good. The coffee was very bitter. Even after adding 6 sugar packs, the taste did not improve.