“Reasonably priced for the location”
Review of Open City

Open City
Ranked #101 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I went here twice while attending a convention; both meals were delicious. It serves breakfast all day and features a wide selection of mussels, if you like them. I don't. But it was Wednesday and there were plenty of folks ordering buckets of mussels for $10, the special of the day. As for me, I stuck to those ocean-dwelling creatures with fins. The crusted salmon was grilled perfectly and placed on a bed of basil risotto which I liked so much that I ordered it the next time I came in. However, the accompanying asparagus disappointed. I like them al dente but this was ridiculous as it was more akin to eating a piece of celery than asparagus. I returned the next day for dinner as well, and the waiter accommodated my request to have the seared ahi tuna sandwich with chipotle mayo without the bun. I added the risotto as a side and loved this dinner, My one complaint would be that they need more fish options for those of us who really love fish but don't love mussels.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Following the Monuments by Moonlight Trolly tour we stopped by Open City on our way back to the Hotel. Chorizo Scramble was superb! Great service. Very busy during meal times.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

The service was great at Open City. I ate here everyday during the 5 days I was in DC for a conference rather than eating the overpriced breakfast options I had at the nearby Marriott. My breakfast was great (huevos rancheros and the benedict eggs), tasty and the price was not bad for Washington DC.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Ate here 3 nights rather than our overpriced Omni Shoreham hotel restaurant , so it's worth going back to. Convenient, good range of options. Some meals were great , others less so. One night I had a great mushroom risotto but my husbands pizza was dried out and tasteless. Other nights the choices were fine . Huge main meals, as is the American way. The place was always busy so service, although friendly, is brisk. Lots of interesting people watching is possible!
Not the cheapest but not ridiculously overpriced either.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time we visited this place after going to the zoo. It is family friendly. At 2:00 pm on a Sunday there was still a wait, they told us 20 minute and it was less than 5! Our 9 yr old son had a giant waffle and was thrilled. My husband and I had sandwiches and soup, both delicious! The dessert is awesome too! This is one of those cool, funky places that makes everyone feel welcome, much appreciated! I always look forward to returning. Thanks!