“Good, Slightly-different take on American Food”
Review of Bidwell Restaurant

Bidwell Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Today
8:00 PM
OR
Ranked #553 of 3,874 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed November 27, 2018

This was the second time I ate at Bidwell's as it is good and very convenient to my son's apt. It was a family get-together of 7 people. The food was very good - I had the raclette grilled cheese for the second time; it has truffle oil and is yummy. Unfortunately it does not come with a side. One son had the linguine with shrimp, and he said it was just okay. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their food. The service was okay, although either the server or kitchen did not pay attention to a couple of what should have been easy requests. I ordered a garden salad which I told the waiter my mother and I would split because it is large (they don't appear to have small side-salads), and I wanted it with balsamic vinaigrette rather than the thousand island it normally comes with. She never brought another plate, and the salad came with the thousand island. It tasted good, and it wasn't worth returning or making a fuss as we were meeting our son's girlfriend's father for the first time. Second, my mother ordered two orders of fried oysters, which were appetizers (she LOVED them - said they were the best fried oysters she has ever had) as an entree, and instead of putting them on one plate, they were served on two separate plates. That wouldn't have been an issue except that the table was really too small for 7 people, and there wasn't room. The restaurant was fairly loud, and it wasn't full. Maybe some people like not being able to hear their conversations, but I prefer not having to shout. Some curtains or other sound-absorbing material might help.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Debia M

Reviewed November 24, 2018 via mobile

On a family trip to DC for Thanksgiving we decided, being visitors from “Downunder”, to try a more traditional but at the same time contemporary American grill-type joint and we were very pleasantly surprised by the excellent service and the good quality of the food.
We shared the “appetisers” which included delicious lamb chops, freshly wood oven baked pizza and creamy burrata whilst for main (“entree” in the US) I had a perfectly cooked steak followed by yummy bread and butter pudding.
The cost was reasonable, the wine list was adequate and the lady serving us was warm and efficient. So, all in all, very good indeed!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 2, 2018

We love Union Market and so we thought we would try Bidwell. We were disappointed by the food. There are so many better options in Union Market so I wouldn't go back.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 24, 2018

The best and the worst place to sit is by the counter facing the wood fired oven. From there, you have a view and the tantalizing aroma of the endless parade of pizzas. It is pure torture while you anticipate your order. The wait is worth it as our white pizza on activated charcoal dough was divine. The complimentary bread and tomato/cheese dip was also so good that i would have been satisfied with just that. Our other orders, including the asparagus soup, were also good. Warm and friendly service. Overall, a very enjoyable evening.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 28, 2018

While we did not eat here, we did grab glasses of wine to go with our ethnic food secured elsewhere. The staff was accommodating and permitted us to use one of their tables (after clearing the flatware, etc.) and provided a jug of water. Good wine selection.

Date of visit: September 2018