“Love the Writer's Suite and the Staff.”
Review of Akwaaba DC

Akwaaba DC
Ranked #4 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Portland, ME
“Love the Writer's Suite and the Staff.”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We recently stayed at Akwaaba DC in the Writer's Suite and it was perfect. We were greeted with a warm welcome and a smile by Kristen the Innkeeper and shown to the suite that blew past all expectations. It was cozy (not small cozy but good for families cozy) and private. The location could not be beat because it's an easy Metro ride into the Capital area but far enough away to be able to relax at the end of a busy day. The neighborhood is safe and has its own charm.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This is by far the best B & B my husband and I have ever stayed in. Kristen, the innkeeper, was friendly and welcoming. I felt like a guest in her home, not a customer. The conversation around the breakfast table was always interesting and the breakfasts were outstanding! We stayed in two rooms--the Zora and Langston Hughes and they were both perfect to the very last detail. The jacuzzis were much needed after miles of walking in the city! The location was great-far away from the noise, but close enough to walk to all the sights. Everything was clean and well maintained, especially since the house is 120 years old! I was actually sad to go and can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Geneva
Reviewed April 6, 2010

This B&B is only a 10 minute walk from Dupont Circle yet feels tranquil and peaceful, with beautiful decoration, all themed around Ghana and its authors and cultural history, and wonderful home-cooked breakfast, taken round a communal wooden table in the front room. Homemade houmous and pasta with local wine at happy hour, tea and coffee whenever I fancied, charming hostesses who made me feel so welcome after my long flight and not knowing the city well, and a hugely comfy bed. Free internet (wifi in the room and a computer in the lounge) and lots of local information. I would definitely recommend staying here!

Washington
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was just what I was looking for in place to stay in D.C. The room was very comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was great and it was very nice to be able to interact with other guests from around the world. There are two great neighborhoods for food, etc. within a few blocks. The walk to Metro may be a little long for some but was perfect for me. I stayed here instead of a convention hotel and saved hundreds of dollars.

Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My sister-in-law and I stayed in the writer's suite this past week with our four daughters. It was ideal! There were three sleeping areas and two full baths in the space. Also has a small kitchen so you can do lite cooking or have breakfast in. The location of the Akwaaba could not have been better. Cool neighborhoods-safe! Very central. We had a Whole Foods a ten minute walk away with dining, coffe, gelato, pharmacy all right there. We recommend eating at The Commissary and Hank's Oyster Bar. Both really close and great food! You could actually walk straight up to The White House-it was a treak but we did it!

Our inkeeper, Kristin Singleton, was very friendly and knowledgable of the area. Thanks Kristin!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Fuller63
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The Misses and I spent the weekend at Akwaaba DC. It is a top shelf operation in every aspect. Our innkeeper/hostess Kristin J. set the tone from our arrival to our departure. Krisitn is highly knowledgeable in regards to the DC happenings and had excellent suggestions for various restaurants and outings. Our room, the Langston Hughes suite was immaculate. We had the most comfortable king size bed and a huge two person jacuzzi/bath in our room. The decorations reminds you of elegant parlor settings in period movies. We will return to Akwaaba DC.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Since finding urban B and Bs in Washington, D.C. I don't have the desire to go to regular hotels again for either business or vacations. Akwaaba is one of the ones I like in the DC area. It is old style in a nice building in a great location. Some would find the room I had to be small but it was just for one person and there are larger ones in the facility. The breakfasts are great and quick if you need to run to meetings or more leisurely if you just want to chat with other guests. Being between Dupont Circle and U Street means that it is a simple walk to lots of interesting restaurants, clubs, bars, and the metro. I have stayed here twice now and will continue to look to it as one of my top options when visiting DC