“Best service ever !!!!”
Review of Akwaaba DC

Akwaaba DC
Ranked #4 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pre-arrival was perfect and thorough. Location is near many, many restaurants. $10-$20 cab ride to the hill depending on traffic. WIFI was spotty in the Inspiration guest room, there is a HUGE skylight so I would not recommend for leisure travel. Hot water was non-existent in the morning but fine in the evening. The service far surpassed negatives. I would definitely return again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank tc_patrick
There are newer reviews for Akwaaba DC

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The property is conveniently located. Joanna was extremely helpful (and had some great restaurant recommendations). Our room (Modern Classics) was simply decorated. There were a few things slightly inconvenient (the mini-fridge was not working and the tv dresser would not stay open on its own), but nothing that was a big deal. Breakfast was good but nothing amazing. The morning we ate, a spinach and mushroom quiche was being served with sausages and some kind of blueberry pastry (freshly baked). We met some really friendly guests around the breakfast table. Overall, we had a nice stay and would recommend it to others. The prices at Akwaaba are some of the best we saw when we were doing our search on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Loved the room (stayed in the Langston Hughes room)! Spacious, comfortable, and welcoming! Also enjoyed the other guests! Not super posh or modern, but lovely nonetheless. The only bummer is the street noise in this room, if sleeping in is on your list of things to do.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank BrandonPerdue
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed at this inn to experience a new, different place. The inn is located on a lovely street and cabs are in abundance. As for the inn, I had a wonderful welcome. I stayed in the Zora Neal Hurston room. The room was spacious, but there were some things that needed to be done:
1. The sheets were not of a good quality and in shades of red with pattern. In fact, there wasn't a fitted sheet and it appeared to be just a flat sheet. The pillows were also not fluffy. Simple, nice 600 thread count white sheets and new pillows would have been great.
2. The room had dust around the floor boards and the hardwood floors were really scratched up.
3. The air conditioning unit was one that was inside of the window. It did work, but was loud.
4. The furniture, though of the period, was scratched up.
5. The toilet seat needs to be replaced.
Again, my stay was OK and the neighborhood was wonderful, but the inn didn't have the final touches to make it awesome. You'll marvel over the architectural touches. I didn't have breakfast, as I headed out really early in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I haven't stayed in many B&Bs, so this was a little different for me. First, I admired the exterior The main floor is lovely--lots of victorian woodwork and period furninshings. I stayed in the Inspiration room. It is on the 4th floor--walkup, but that was fine. The room was very large, well decorated and very CLEAN. It has a claw foot tub in one corner of the room with netting surrounding it from the ceiling. I thought, "How nice---but I won't be using that." I had a great night's sleep in the comfy king bed. The next morning, try as I might, I could not get hot water in the shower. I tried everything. I didn't want to call Joanna since I had called ther the day before to help get the TV to work (it was unplugged). Faced with the prospect of being the guest who couldn't work the TV OR the shower, I got into the tub. Not a lot of water, but it was warm. Breakfast was very good. I will be back---but I'll try the shower the night before!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pluses: very quiet (the inn was full and we never heard any noise at all), wonderful location (walk to metro, numerous restaurants and shops), good breakfast, beautiful common rooms, very comfortable bed and first class linens, free Wi-Fi and newspaper, plenty of room on the bathroom counter. We stayed in the Mosley room (3rd floor in back) No noise at all from outside. Joanna was very friendly, and made us a "to go" breakfast when we had to leave early to catch our plane.
Minuses: Upstairs could use a little TLC-patch and paint. My in-laws were on the second floor (in the front) - that room was in better shape. Parking is extremely limited - and if you have to park off site, you must walk. I understand, this is D.C., but be forewarned. Breakfast is only served for a limited time, and on the weekends that is 9-10. I like to get going before then. overall a great stay, we would definitely go back (especially because this is the closest hotel to Mt. Pleasant, where our daughter lives)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Akwaaba is located on 16th an R Streets NW in one of DC's signature 19th century homes, which is centrally located between Dupont and Logan Circles, a great area to stay. That was my original reason for booking at Akwaaba. But I was truly impressed more by the staff and the set up itself. Naturally, Akwaaba has the amenities you expect, great breakfast, free and trouble-free wireless internet, cable and what not. The room I stayed (The Langston Hughes) was like a suite unto itself. The owner gave painstaking detail to the room to give it the 1940s ambience from the furniture the lighting, and the articles around that it energized me. The room is expansive and opens to the balcony overlooking 16th Street. The photos do not do it justice. And then the bathroom! It has a jacuzzi and shower and the complimentary soap and shampoo is supber. I snagged a couple of them to bring home. Joanna who manages Akwaaba was responsive and a great host. I would overload this page with positive exclamation marks, but you get the idea. I will stay here whenever I can.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business