“Lovin Langston”

Ranked #4 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovin Langston”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My fiancé and I decided to celebrate our anniversary via a “staycation” at the Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast B&B in Washington DC (March 2013). The bed and breakfast is simply amazing. In fact the Akwaaba brand (we stayed at the Cape May location a number of years ago) is on point with respect to location, amenities and service. Whilst making our reservations the inn keeper quickly answered all of questions and was there to greet us when we arrived. When you walk in you will be in awe of the beauty of the mansion and how its been carefully decorated to honor and celebrate famous American authors. In fact when you arrive I really think you’ll feel right at home, check-in, formalities etc, hum…don’t remember those. What I do remember is the beauty, richness and elegance of the mansion. We stayed in the Langston Hughes Suite which was amazing. You walk into this grand room and it takes the word suite a new level. Complete with beautiful art, touches, balcony and fully modernized it was truly a treat to step back in time and just enjoy the regal beauty. We got an opportunity to check out all of the rooms and trust that no matter what you’ll choose they are all unique an special in their own ways.

Before I start repeating the same adjectives to describe the beauty of the mansion let me switch gears and touch base on the service. My fellow foodies the breakfast was great and making the experience even more special was the opportunity to meet other travelers and learn their stories over a great meal or a simple drink. In addition to inn keeper is very knowledgeable about local restaurants, things to do and places to go. Lastly, the owner (Ms. Monique) was there for one night during our stay and to our surprise (she remembered us from our stay at the Cape May location many years ago) laid beautiful rose petals, filled the Jacuzzi tub and light candles all throughout our room. When we returned later that evening and saw the personal touch and attention to detail even I as a dude was like whoa as my fiancé was just beaming…thank you Monique!!

Location
In one word, excellent. Easy to get to from all 3 major airports (National, BWI and Dulles) and parking is available (its easy) and guess what? its reasonable, they don’t gauge you like other hotel chains. In addition your right in the heart of Washington DC so everything is accessible via by foot, metro or car. If you’re a history buff like me you’ve love the access to all the cultural institutions right at your fingertips and if that’s not a draw, no problem there is great night life in a safe walkable distance.

So, all you have to do is show up, Akwaaba will do rest

Best

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but the Langston and Zora Neal Hurston are amazing!! Ask for the rooms faci...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Sometimes you just need to get away so we did. Four friends and the Writers Retreat (the lower level apartment at the Akwaaba). Although parking could have been daunting we were lucky to get a space in front of the B&B both times we moved the car (parking gods exist ; ). Otherwise the B&B is central is everything we planned to do (and didn't get to do) by taxi or walking. The main floor is very nice if you like the vintage appeal of a sitting room (I DO) and our place was a little too much of the island decor, especially the pointless netting over the king size bed, but we were not picky as all we require is a clean space and comfy sleeping. We were able to cook our own foods and were provided a full kitchen with everything we needed (inclusive of teas and coffee). There were a few minor things like the water pressure, in the larger bathroom shower, but that could've been from an abundance of users at once and a few of our lamps didn't work (or the bulbs were blown). It's an old home so there are plenty of "old home" noises but nothing substantially loud. Also, if anyone sleeps in the back room on the futon be sure that you will be awakened to the smell of coffee, bacon and the noise of pots and pans clanging in the mornings. Either way we enjoyed our stay and were very comfortable in our space. We would definitely return but unsure of whether I would do that in the Summer as there were only 1 very small air conditioner in the Writers Retreat that I saw, my friends say there were 2.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
green16
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This B$ B is a hidden gem in the heart of DC. Elegant display of the Harlem Renaissance era. The Langston Hughes room is large and wonderful. A delight to have his literature available. The rose petals and candles was a surprise and great highlight to a wonderful birthday. The food was impeccable. Breakfast was a wonderful display of home cooking.

The wireless internet in the rooms could use a boost.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank green16
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the Akwaaba DC for the 2013 Presidential Inauguration. We live in Maryland but wanted to be in the District for inauguration events. I've always wanted to stay at one of the Akwaaba properties and this was a great opportunity to visit. The stay made the inauguration experience all the more special. The staff was professional, attentive, and warm. Our room was spacious and well-appointed and so much nicer to return to than a generic hotel room. The owner was on site and it was a treat to meet her and the other house guests and learn more about the Akwaaba story. They even had the foresite to prepare bagged breakfast for the guests to munch on as we braved the early inauguration morning cold! It was a lovely stay and we look forward to our next staycation at Akwaaba.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed in hotels and hostels throughout the world and none are more enjoyable than Akwaaba in Dupont Circle. I only wish I could have stayed longer. The breakfasts are delicious, the accommodations clean and quiet; the overall environment is warm and inviting (the word in Spanish is 'acogedor'- somewhere that beckons, makes you want to enter, and once inside, stay a while. The hostess Joanna is delightful- friendly, gracious, and attentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have stayed at Akwaaba three times and each event has been a treat. The staff is pleasant, accomodating, and the breakfasts are delicious. Sneaking in late at night allows one to pilfer some homemade cookies, drink a bit a tea, and enjoy a very comfortable bed. Guests have been a treat in the morning as well. For us the location is perfect, within a good walk of nearly all we enjoy, with great restaurants nearby, and even if one doesn't care for the exercise, the metro and cabs are just fine.

Room Tip: It is a walk up, and if one is hesitant, the second floor rooms are very nice. The front rooms are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Ohhh Akwaaba how you make my love for DC even fonder!! My mother and I went to celebrate our milestone birthdays (30th & 60th). We had no clue what to expect for neither one of us have ever stayed at a black owned B&B. I'm glad we went in with no expectations! Our whole basis for the weekend was to relax and spend quality time together away from the hustle and bustles of life. With Akwaaba that's exactly what we did!

Our innkeeper Joanna was half woman half amazing! What a delightful human being full of a love for her job and meeting all kinds of walks of life. She was so helpful with everything from helping me with my bags upstairs (2flights BTW) to planning our fun filled day in DC to refiling my cup of coffee or glass of wine. A hearty & warm breakfast was served from scratch each morning...on time! She always made sure that whatever we needed no matter what time of day we were able to obtain it or directed into the right direction for it. Another great quality Joanna possessed was the fact that she remembered everyone's name at the inn and what they cared for or didn't care for. Attention to detail is more than just fluffing a pillow and she hit it right on the nail!

Akwaaba had a little bit of everything as far as style. Though it is a African American themed B&B the ole school to Victorian to specks of modern style were all through the house. A nice touch that proves not all African Americans do worship Congo drums and African sculptures.
Akwaaba is in a great location. Not too far from all sorts of culture and prestige. The best part about the location was how close it was to the night life and Metro line. Though a little bit of a walk (if you're not used to a city) to and from the Metro it was not too far that it became uncomfortable. U street, DuPont Circle, Lincoln Memorial, Howard Univ, Adams Morgan, and Georgetown just to name a few are tucked all around Akwaaba.

Finally I was able to meet the owner Monique Greenwood. What an astonishing woman! I had no clue she was the owner and when I said something about her being just an innkeeper (no disrespect) she quickly corrected me with no hard feelings at all. Extremely humble and had a nice tea time with my mother, Joanna and I. I was mortified that I called the owner just an innkeeper but Monique flagged it as nothing but explained to me that she was all of the above because owner's need to know every aspect of their business. She was knowledgeable and inspiring all wrapped up in a good hearted woman. I felt blessed to have been in her presence!

Thank you so much Akwaaba for fulfilling my mother and I's dreams of having a quiet and memorable weekend!

Room Tip: Langston Hughes room was perfect if you enjoy sitting outside on the patio and plenty of space! Ther...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family