“Wonderful Austrian Food”

Ranked #7 of 98 Dessert in Washington DC
Cuisines: Austrian, Central European
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Forget all the cliches about heavy Austrian fare served by waiters in lederhosen. Leopold is about as Euro trendy as it gets, with an all-day coffee and drinks bar, an architecturally hip dining space, and a chic little patio complete with a minifountain. Food is pared-down Mitteleuropean: mushroom tart, crisp schnitzel paired with peppery greens, an endive salad with mustard dressing. In the middle of a design-obsessed alley just off of M Street, the cafe draws an artsy city crowd that's content to sit and watch the scene evolve, just as it's done in Europe. Brunch is a particularly popular setting for such people-watching manna, and the neat-as-a-pin breakfast is available daily until 4 pm. The perfect oasis for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in between. They have a very respectable wine list that compliment all the dinner specials. Reservations are taken for dinner only, starting at 5pm.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is not your typical American Cafe! The food is fresh, original, but definitely European and delicious. A refreshing change. We tried 4 different salads, and loved them all. For the main courses we tried Schnitzel, Muskat-Kasespatzle, and Brathendl.The fried and grilled foods were crisp and not oily at all (like the schnitzel and the crispy onions), and the Muskat-Kasespatle and the Hibiscus-Gorgonzola Crostini were absolutely amazing flavor combinations.

The setting is quiet, with a lovely outdoor fountain and patio for good weather, while the inside is appealing with clean lines and simple modern decor. The staff were extremely knowledgeable, courteous and helpful.
A large selection of pastries and desserts, made by the pastry chef on site were also available to tempt you at the end of the meal. We tried three of the desserts, but generally found the highlight was the food, not the desserts.

One special treat was the selection of fresh ground espresso drinks (way better than any coffee chain!). Best coffee in the whole trip!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Maybe it was good when it first opened, but it was abysmal on all aspects when I went. I can't understand why in the world I stayed to eat when it was a disaster from the start. Off hours (1:30 on a weeknight). Was seated, ignored for 30 minutes, ordered finally. Kale salad: limp and dare I say completely unappetizing, as if it had been left on a counter for hours. Truffled grits: looked like congee that you ate the next morning. Spatzle was shredded blandness. Austrian coffee could have rivaled Dunkin Donuts. Was told to hurry up and pay my bill. I'm sort of soft-spoken and non-complainey, but I had had enough of these pretentious scumbags. Never will I go back, and I do not recommend you go either, when there are plenty of better options in Georgetown.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and went to Leopold's for lunch. It's a great cafe space. But the food and coffee were so-so. Husband ordered Bratwurst lunch and reports: sausage were good quality, roast potatoes nice, but sauerkraut was mushy. I ordered Spatzle (nutmeg spatzle, scallions, cheese and crispy onion topping. Very bland, couldn't distinguish any of the ingredients. But, Mac & cheese like consistency was comforting on a chilly day.
Boo Hoo about the austrian coffee, I ordered Austrian coffee mit schlag (whipped cream) which was so water-y I didn't finish it --and I'm a coffee fiend. Schlag was sprayed, not scooped.
My husband lived in Austria for 10 years, we eat well there.
Didn't try the pastries, but they looked beautiful.

1  Thank dcinwdc
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Leopold's is such a nice place.
I loved the space, the service and specially the food ... lot's of choices for dessert : )

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went there for breakfast while in town for a wedding. Took 20 minutes to get our cold coffe and an hour for our 2 hard boiled eggs and toast. Our server kept reassuring us only a few more minutes but right when we got up to leave the manager brought our almost raw eggs and cold toast. They comped our meal but was just a horrible way to start the day!

1  Thank Anniek319